New Sony 70-200mm G-series

isaac_adams_hands

People have been suggesting this for a while now... Thanks for the info.

The suggestion is that the current G series is actually quite a dated design... 2003? Well, I guess that may be considered "dated" for some, for a professional grade lens. It was designed with film cameras in mind atleast, AFAIK... maybe this "new" design is with much high resolution sensors i mind... though i entirely doubt ANYONE would be unhappy with the current 70-200SSM on the "A900"/Flagship camera and ones to come.

If this means the current Gtelezoom/2.8 is pushed down in price because of being 'out of date' im all up for it, it doesnt look a half bad lens ;)

Isaac,

Sony has not announced a new 70-200G and has not released any info regarding one. There is, however a new 70-300SSM G, but it's not f2.8.

Your rep is either referring to the 70-300SSM G or Knows something that Sony has not yet announced and that he shouldn't be talking about. Pop Photo's Julia Silber referred to a new 70-200 Carl Zeiss with T coating -- that may have started rumors. All known information is available on Michael Hohner's site in the lens charts (refer to his link). Everything else is just speculation or rumors. The current 70-200SSM G is an outstanding lens, is not an outdated design, and I see no reason for Sony to replace it.

Kelly

There are reasons to replace the current G. It's manufacturing is expensive, and the price reflects that. Also, with the Zeiss 24-70, it would make since to add a Zeiss 70-200mm with the same IQ and "look" to cement the system. The Sony 70-200G is a great lens, but I'd bet a replacement is coming.

Douglas,

You make a good point, and a Zeiss compliment to the 24-70mm does make sense. The Zeiss brand is an attractive selling point for Sony, and it may be more likely to attract buyers currently shooting with competitor's equipment. But still, I see CZ and "G" glass as two different animals, so the question is, would Sony replace "G" with CZ? Anyway, Issac's question was whether anyone knew anything about a new 70-200. The answer has to be, no we don't know, we can only speculate.

Kelly

Its sure a tricky debate about how this 'two teered' high end glass selection will go. We can all agree with Robert that G and CZ are completely different animals.

Maybe we will see G zooms taken on a slower aperture performance in the zooms and CZ conquer the 2.8 zooms? Now, this is highly speculative of course, and based on little information... but isnt it all ;-).

We have the new 70-300 G, that is incredibly sharp and still "G" in optical regard, but is significantly slower than what we have seen before. Now, Kiklop over on dyxum says we can expect a new 24-105 zoom on the way, with the full frame. He is 'in the know' as they say ;-). Presumeably f/4... could this be a "G" convert? Rather than the regular "high end kit" quality of the previous 24-105 lens. That would make an interesting combination.

Then you have the new 24-70/2.8 CZ. Will we have a 70-200 CZ? That would seem to fit with the above... The 16-35/2.8 is rumoured/assumed to be a CZ too.

Just a thought anyway, would make sense on a "zoom" regard anyway.

I have the Minolta 80-200 2.8G and the Sony 70-200 2.8G SSM lenses and while both are

outstanding, the Sony SSM is much improved. The lens has the same outstanding image

quality but it focuses so fast and quietly (as does the new Sony 24-70 2.8 SSM) it's just

amazing. A terrific lens. And a much better build than the new 70-300G - with a price

difference to match. Check dyxum.com for lens reviews by Minolta/Sony users.