Who thinks they would buy the Sony A900?

d_g5

Because there just isnt a high quality APS-C wide angle/practical lens out there. Nothing fast wide angle either. Those are my main reasons, they are valid and partly why i still shoot 35mm.

However, I would not use it at 24MP. My PC couldnt deal with those sort of files. And I'm not buying a new one, I just did! We can assume it will have the option to shoot at a lower resolution... 18MP?16MP?12MP? Who knows, anything smaller than 24 will do me fine please!

And all the other bells and whistles are always nice. Sturdy construction - die hard in fact. Oh and another BIG reason would be the viewfinder. BIG AND BRIGHT please. Only then can i use MF lenses properly or atleast MF with ease.

Anyone else?

I'll have my credit cards paid off in about 6 weeks and will be saving about $700 a month as a kitty for things like this. I am not sure I really want the full frame but I will want to try it "hands-on" to be sure. I have bought my last 4 cameras based on reviews and user reports but this one will require the certainty that only comes with actually using it. I also expect it will be over $3500, closer to $4000 and will blow all of the competition away, especially the Canon 5D.

At a price around $2700, for sure, as it goes up from there, I would have to think harder.

<br><br>

The reason is: I have a bunch of Minolta lenses that I like, and I would like to have the use of

my wide angles back.

<br><br>

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp...Tom M

At some point I will probably be investing in a FF DSLR - either when they quit making slide film :-) or when it just is no longer feasible cost wise for me to shoot it. Hopefully that will be many years beyond the first "A900" or whatever it will be called.<BR>

On the other hand, I'm sure my wife will be interested in trying to scrape enough funds together for one of these as soon as possible. FF really does have advantage over APS-C...a larger format has always been more desireable in certain circumstances.<BR><BR>

Jed

The only 3 reasons I'll spring for it is Full Frame (so my Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 will mean something again and I can for continue to scoff at the Ziess 24-70 F2.8), Low Noise! Hopefull it'll have a frickin 10gig internal Buffer so that it'll be able to do 5.5fps up till 36 shots (just like the film Maxxum 9!). Pray that the grip will have a built in wireless transmitter for files and an internal 10gig SSD (keep prayin and dreamin DG)!

I have been waiting for 5 years, if not longer, for this FF DSLR. The reason is due to the fact that I like shooting ultra-wide angle scenes. I have a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 rectilinear lens, and a Minolta 20mm f/2.8 for that reason.

And from what I've heard, the camera will be named the 'Alpha 9', which is the same name of that Minolta named their top of the line film camera in Japan. (In other parts of the world, it was the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9.)

<I>I also expect it will be over $3500, closer to $4000 and will blow all of the competition away, especially the Canon 5D.</I><P>

If it costs that much, then the Canon 5D will <B>not</B> be the competition, because it will be selling for about half that much by then.<P>

I salivate over a FF DSLR. It's what I've always wanted. In large part for the prospect of a bigger, brighter viewfinder, and in substantial part for getting the wide end back on my FF lenses. But I can't see buying one for $4000, or even $2000. Really, I think I will be on the sidelines until FF goes under $1500.

I'm sorry Richard... I'm ultra sure that the A900 will have better High ISO noise control than the A700. Even with a hulking 24MP chip. If they are gonna call it a flagship... it better be about more than just Megapixels and full frame! I know $3,500 isnt a lotta money compared to the Canon 1DS Mark III but gotdarnit... if its in price range of the D3 it had better provide AWESOME noise control up to ISO 6400 for my tastes! I'd better see ISO 6400 look as good as A700's ISO 400 for me to buy it. You know what... thats the only thing that'll make me just plain olde pass on that Hulk. If the hulk has horrible noise like th A100 at ISO 1600 and up (up to a reasonable 3200) I dont know if it would be the camera for me.

At $2700, I probably would -- though that is pushing my budget quite a bit. It does depend on the other features for the camera as well, including frame rate and noise characteristics. But I'd like better wide angle options, so the full frame sensor -- and much denser pixel count for images -- are strong selling points for me. That might change if an interesting option (e.g. an A750) also shows up at a nicer price point.

Until then, I'll keep using my KM 5D.

The new fullframe is meant to compete with the NEXT 5D, not the current one. The current 5D was in the $3400 range when it was new, and I'm expecting around the same price with the Sony FF.

This camera is NOT meant to be a fast, high ISO shooter like the D3 or 1d III. This is a high resolution, landscape/studio type camera. Essentially, if you dream of the 1Ds III and it's resolution, then this is for you. If you dream of the D3 and it's low noise, wait or buy the Nikon.

From my new info... Dougs right... its gonna be more like a 35mm DSLR hassleblad! Not ultra fast but ultra image quality- sonys gonna aim to say it could compete with higher end blads - image quality wise.

<I>The new fullframe is meant to compete with the NEXT 5D, not the current one. The current 5D was in the $3400 range when it was new, and I'm expecting around the same price with the Sony FF.</I><P>

Yes, the A900 will have to compete with the 5D Mk. II or whatever they call it. But given the pattern, I would expect that when this Canon appears, presumably late this year, it will list for $2999 and fall relatively quickly to $2500 - $2700, with the current 5D, as long as available, going for $2000 or so. In my view, if Sony can't get the initial list price under $3000, it is going to have a problem competing. But that's just my personal view.

Yeah, Dave, we'll have to see. I really think this camera is gonna draw a line in the sand. The next 5D will have better noise control, and the "A9" will go for resolution. I know that a lot of people will pay a premium for the latter, because the only other option is the $8K 1Ds III. Shhhh....don't tell Sony, but I'd probably pay freakin' $5K for it!

Hi, I'm not certain I'd go for a 24mp camera at more then $1700.00, will it last over 30 years

like my Minolta SRT-101 and 102? What I've been looking at, is the new (coming soon) A350

at 14mp with live view and posable LCD screen, now we are talking. I've had my A100 for 2

years now and the quality I'm getting from this camera is fantastic. If I was to invest, I'd go

for the Carl Zeiss lens for Sony instead, it's not the camera that make the picture but the

lens.