Minolta lenses

kelly_wheat

As long as the lenses are fairly new autofocus ones, they should all work. The older Minolta MD or MC lenses do not work. A good place to check is dyxum.com (generally a great resource for Minolta/Sony shooters) in their lens database. If it's listed, it should work.

As far as the camera goes, Sony has been announcing a lot of new bodies recently. From entry to advanced, they are A100, A200, A300, A350 (same as A300 with a higher pixel count), A700. Check out this page on Dyxum for a comparison: http://www.dyxum.com/gear/camera/index.asp

Agree, with few exceptions, the "Maxxum" autofocus lenses should all work. When the 7D came out, I seem to recall that there were a couple that weren't completely fnctional from the full Minolta line-up but they weren't common lenses for the usual user. If the lenses are a third party lens, like Sigma or Tamron, there's a small chance that some incompatibilities may have crept in.

Suggesting which might be best for you really depends a lot on what your interests might be.

"It's only a few Sigma lenses from the 7000 era that do not work on anything newer" - I didn't know this. It's funny, a week or two ago I picked up an older Sigma with a Maxxum 7000 film camera as part of a package deal (to get the old Minolta 50mm prime). I fit the lens to my 5D without problems, but for the life of me I couldn't get it to autofocus. Now I know why!