Ordered 24mm Rokkor MD, got MC.

paul_m__austin_

I could really use some help here. Adorama just sent me the wrong lens and I'm

not sure what to do.

I've read a lot about how great the 24mm f2.8 MD Rokkor lens is. They had one

advertised in Demo condition and I ordered it. Well, I just received the lens.

It is in great condition, but it's an MC, not and MD. I checked my receipt to

verify I did in fact order the MD. Should I be pissed? I'm kinda pissed. But,

I don't really know what the difference is. Is the MC just as good? What would

you do?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Should you be pissed? Yes, you should, as the lens is not as advertised. You should contact Adorama at once to give them a chance to rectify the situation. If you made the purchase by credit card, you have so many days to file a complaint, and they will work to rectify the situation. Make sure you keep any documentation.

However, how pissed you should be depends on what camera you're going to put it on. The MD is used on later MF Minolta camera. They have a tab on the aperture ring that tells the body what the minimum aperture is, when you use the camera on Shutter Priority or in Auto mode. If you use the lens on an SRT101, it doesn't do anything. The Mc lenses and the MD lenses are mostly the same lens optically, unless the lens was one that had been revised somewhere along the line, but you might want to check the Rokkorfiles.com to see what lenses had been changed.

I looked at the 24mm MD Rokkor once, and rejected it for the simple reason that the front element rotates. If your MC does not rotate when focused, you might have a better, more solidly built lens anyway. If you are not going to use program mode on an X700 or Shutter priority on an XD, then you don't need the MD anyway. The MC lenses are fantastic. So are the MDs. Some of the MD Rokkors, in between those labeled MC and straight MD, just aren't designed as nicely.

Thank you all for the comments.

To be more specific, the lens I got was a 24mm f2.8 MC W-Rokkor SI, although I might have that in the wrong sequence.

My main concern is whether or not this MC version is as good optically as the MD version (with 55mm filter) that I read so much about. I can't find any information on this MC version. I'm not worried about the features. I'm worried about the pictures it makes and whether or not there are any problems I should know about. I'll use it on an X-370 which only has aperture priority, but even if I had a camera with a fully automatic mode, I wouldn't use it. Compatibility is not an issue.

The front filter thread rotates on both versions, but I've come to peace with that. Small price to pay for a great lens, especially since I'll be using it for landscapes.

Thanks,

Paul

There were 3 non-VFC version, MC & MD 55mm filter and MD 49 filter. All three were 9 elements in 7 groups so there is no major difference. The MD of-couse support body with shutter priority. Try check out rokkorfile.com for more MC and MD delta. I would try it, if you like it keep it. If not send it back.

• 2 weeks later...

The MC version is kinda uncommon. I have a friend who was looking for one for some years and wanted it available to him locally in Europe. I don't know if he ever got one, but he looked for a long time ;-)

I don't think the MC version is any worth optically than the MD version, and quite possibly more sturdily built. If you got it at a great price, maybe hold on to it. However, if you really want the MD version, better return it now than having it irk you every time you look at the lens. MD 24mm 2.8 are plentiful on the 2nd hand market, and it's easy to pick up another one.

As an aside, all versions of the 24mm 2.8 have rotating front elements, BUT the latest, plain MD version without the Rokkor name and with the 49mm filter thread, has a non-rotating filter thread, which makes it very desirable for those who like using a polarizer!

I have the MC version of this lens and have had no quibbles whatsoever with its picture quality. I wanted the MD version initially but couldn't find one and then found my MC at a bargain price, now I've come to love it's rugged construction when compared to my later MD lenses and I have little fear of doing any serious damage to it.

• 2 weeks later...