Hot Shoe Adaptor not working on Alpha

kris_long

Can someone please help me. I just ordered the hot shoe adapter for my Sony

alpha a100 (from virtual village) and a Interfit infrared wireless transmitter

with the hopes of being able to fire my studio lighting. When these were both

hooked up to my camera I can't get the alpha to fire the infrared transmitter. I

checked the transmitter and it works just fine with the test button and such. So

it all appears to work it even came with a cord to connect to the hot shoe

adapter and I even tried that with no success. Does anyone know how I can get

this to work? I called Sony the only thing they told me is that they do not

support anything that is 3rd party!!! Nice considering that they don't have

anything accessory wise to do what I want it to do. PLEASE help someone!!!!!!

Couple of notes...you can't expect any manufacturer to support anything third party. You're on your own. Also, I don't know if your wireless transmitter can connect to a camera with a PC connector, but the Sony A700 camera has a PC connector on the side now for connecting to standard flash units. Don't know if that might help or not, it's a more expensive camera.

"you can't expect any manufacturer to support anything third party."

Well, yes, but since no camera manufacturer makes studio flash units, I suppose it is fair to expect a modern camera to be able to fire a studio flash unit made by a 'third party'.

Sure, but to expect them over the telephone to know if/why something from someone else doesn't work is asking too much. He has products from at least two other manufacturers chained up there. They (Sony) assume the camera is functioning correctly, he assumes the transmitter is functioning fully - the 3rd party adapter in the middle seems likely to be the culprit. Without test gear, it would be hard to measure the signals at the various contacts. So you verify each part of the chain independently.

Does the transmitter work without adapter on another camera? It apparently works off the test button. Does the camera and adapter fire a flash correctly without the transmitter in between? Is the camera set to external flash? Does the camera fire a Sony/Minolta flash correctly?

A very good hot shoe adapter for the Sony A100 A700 is available at www.safe-sync.com. It looks like the adapter housings that are on the Ebay listings, etc. But the inside circuits are completely different.

Standard hot shoe on top, PC terminal on the side. All have safe sync protection for studio strobe and use with any flash.

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi Kris,<br>

Same problem here ! <br>

Do you use the original adaptor or the third party adaptor (original is bloody expensive, isn't it!)? I have Sony alpha 200 camera and I recently puchased studio light set and Interfit IR flash and also hot shoe adapter Seagull SC-5 and I'm confused. My studio flash kit is Interfit Venus and you can fire it by a) other flash b) IR c) by cable. And here is the problem ... if I use the cable (connected to the adapter) it works just fine, so I suppose the adapter is OK. But if I try to use IR Interfit ... nothing ! Test buton works fine and if I manually shorcut two back pins on the adapter, it work's as well. I think that Interfit IR has a lower sensitivity for that fire impuls from the camera or something. So I was wondering if somebody has experience with the original Sony adaptor …<br>

And another thing.If I try to use build-in flash to fire the studio set, it flashes prematurely !! I suppose that’s because of some pre-flash from the build-in flash but I’m not sure. Would it be possible?</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>I found this thread. We are all in the same boat. Same situation. Sony a350+ hot shoe adapter+interfit wireless does not work.<br>

I am sure that separetedly this accesories work. The infrared transmitter works just fine in test mode and with my nikon fm2 via pc sync, which proves that the pc sync connector is working<br>

The GENERIC CHINESE hot shoe adapter also works, since I can use it to connect the sony a350 with the pc sync to the studio<br>

How were you able to resolve this problem?. I am stuck by now to using the pc sync cord.</p>

<p>Hello All,<br>

It appears you may have an incorrect connection somewhere. The positive sync circuit wire must continue all the way thru the adapter circuit to the transmitter. Several of the Chinese adapters are wired backwards to the hot shoe, and will not work with a Sony. Depends on which adapter you have, and there are many made for Sony. Also, some adapters have a diode in the circuit and if that was reversed the adapter will not work.<br>

Lastly, you need to set the camera on M "manual" operation for all third party flashes and wireless transmitters. Set the camera flash operation to wireless or second curtain. Try a slower shutter speed. Replace the battery in the transmitter.</p>

<p>Hi All,<br>

Unfortunately this is not the case. As mentioned somewhere before, the infrared receiver could be connected by standard pc sync which works OK when connected to the flash light but it doesn't work at all with that infrared trasnsmitter (I even measured my cheap hot shoe adapter and it's a standard circuit). I spent huge amount of time to figure this out, with no luck. My conclusion is that the signal impuls from Sony camera is not powerfull enough, or it's too short to fire the Interfit infrared transmiter. Those two will just not work together. <br>

Two things you can do. Buy a original Sony adaptor (Interfit says it will work, but I didn't test it!) but as we all know, it's very expensive. Or buy a wireless transmiter as I did after testing it with my friend's receiver. I bought RF-125 Falcon Eyes Radio Trigger for 40 pounds (Karlu) and it's just perfect! That's probably the best thing you can do ... <br>

BTW : I'm using the Interfit Infrared to fire the flash when I measure the light with a flashmeter :-) Works perfect ....</p>

<p> </p>