Minolta X300 for portrait and street photography?

vendel_veilandics

I am using the Minolta X700 for exactly the same type of photography. You can get some quality lenses for a comparatively low price, it all depends on what focal lengths you prefer and your type of shooting. I am happily using the MC 28mm/f2, MD 35mm/f1.8, MD 50mm/f1.4 and the MD 85mm/f2, where specially the 28/35/50mm are classic street photography lenses.

But, as always, equipment is not everything. Street photography takes many many many hours of walking, shooting and developing, looking and finally doing it all over again.

If you are new to photography or at least new to the street photography thing, take a 35mm or a 50mm lens, some ISO 400 B&W film, and go shooting. After you have done that for quite a time, sit down and think about new or different equipment or what you could change to improve your style and/or results.

Everytime I catch myself thinking about new equipment I have to remind me: Photography is *not* about equipment!

You have a great camera with very accurate shutter speeds and reliable and predictable metering. The 50mm f1.4 is a great lens as an all rounder however I think a wider angle would be better for the streets. I would recommend a 28mm f2.8 This is not Minolta's best but is very cheap on ebay and, more importantly, will allow you to pre focus and shoot a bit more or use hyperfocal techniques. The 28mm will have loads more depth of field which is a little limited on the 50mm. Use a fast film 400asa or faster and enjoy.

Some good advice already given, sorry I'm coming into the discussion late - seems I don't get online as much as I used to these days.<BR>

For street shooting, a 35mm is almost perfect, although the 50mm f1.4 is supurb and I would use it without hesitation.<BR>

For tighter cropped portriats, hard to beat the 85mm f2. Have a look at www.rokkorfiles.com and look at Antony's lens reviews there. For sure, photography is not *all* about the equipment, but it is fun to try different lenses and above all...to dream about your future gear. :-)<BR>

Best of luck on the hobby, and show us some examples when you get some film processed! There's nothing quite like a Rokkor prime lens. Well, I suppose Leica glass. :-)<BR>

Jed

I second the 35mm or 50mm lens. IMO with 28mm you get to much unimportant scenery. But apart from lens suggestion I have some other points on street photography.

First you'll find it difficult to get a correct exposure with the automatic in your camera. Street photography has to deal with high contrast and you have to act fast, so you can't think about compensation for every frame. I would advice to start with a 400 ASA b&w film, downrate it at 250 for better shadow details, take a reading only from time to time of some medium contrast scene when daylight changes and use the cam in manual setting. A different approach could be to take two readings - one for sunlight and one for the shadows and switch between time or aperture when your scene changes, but again in manual mode.

Second you might want to look at how street photographers work. You'll find that hardly anyone uses telephoto lenses, not even for portraits. Sorry to say that, but street photos with telephoto lenses are boring! All aproach their subjects very close. This is difficult from a psychological point of view. You have to find a way to foresee possible negative reactions and how you want to deal with them. And you should be able to take up a friendly contact very easily. I find it a really tough job. Good luck for it.