A-700

jerome_smith

I read in another forum that downloading an Adobe plugin, CR 4.2, would allow

CS2 users to process the new A-700 4.0 Raw. The Adobe site, however, specifies

that the plugin will only work with CS3 or higher.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, I note from the Sony site that the A-700's battery, NP-FM500H, is

backwards compatible with the A-100's NP-FM55H. If that is so, then by default

wouldn't the battery from my D7 fit the A-700?

1.apparently CS2 does read A700 raw. More to find out today coz my harddisks are all full and I need a space to work. I will let you know

2. The battery is pin combatible so my A100 has a high chance to use FM500. Well D7's battery was designed by KM and that is out of question. If you have a lot of NP400s like I do, try to look for a third party vertical grip from Korea. Previous models for various cameras had separate battery magazines allowing us to use virtually all kinds of batteries.

You can NOT use Photoshop CS2 with a700 raws in their native .arw format as you need ACR 4.2 for this, and 4.2 is not compatible with PS CS2. The thing to do is to download Adobe's free DNG converter, which will convert your .arw raw files from the a700 into Adobe's DNG raw format. THEN you can work on the raws in PS CS2 with camera raw 3.7.

Sony's IDC software is good at keeping the original 'as shot' colors, so that your TIFFs from raw processed in IDC should match your out of camera JPEGs for color. But Camera raw 3.7 working on the DNG file can extract a little more fine detail from the raw file compared to IDC - only really needed if you take landscapes and want to extract every last bit of detail. Avoid Adobe Lightroom 1.2 for a700 shots taken at ISO400 or over, as it does something weird with them at the moment.