Sony 70-200 G SSM backward compatibility

giorgio_santonastaso1

Hi everybody, I badly need a zoom tele like 80-200 HS G for my Dynax 7D (as I'm shooting dance soirees).

It seems nowhere to be found here in Europe on eBay (I also bought one from a german, but incredibly it

got lost by the courier), so I was considering the purchase of a new Sony-branded 70-200 G SSM. They all

say it fits perfectly, but I found also people reporting problems with AF at 2.8/3.2. To me, this is a

stopper! What do you think?

The point to me is to have a reliable and possibly fast AF. Don't know if it's better keep trying

and finding an 80-200 HS G on eBay (I have the 28-70 G, and with my 7D autofocus is no

bed of roses in an otherwise magnificent lens - but maybe it's the camera?) saving money, or,

as I said, am I to purchase the 70-200 G SSM, considering the A700 or even the FF for the

future? And by the way, how is the 70-200 with the Dynax/Maxxum 7 (lovely camera!)

Thank's for your ideas and comments

I have to question the lens, he said it was second-hand... I bet it was dropped. No other review has ever mentioned that issue.

And, the Sony SSM's price has now dropped to $1999US as of last week, but of course no one has them in stock yet. There are several 80-200mm's on eBay, and those prices will drop when the SSM becomes available. One guy had a gorgeous mint 80-200mm for $1499 and it didn't sell! Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140157281048&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Contact him, I know he still has it (just out of my reach; I emailed him about it the other day).

Thank's Paulie, since I discovered to my damage that eBay is not the safest place on earth

(and that not all superstars sellers are reliable), at least here in Europe, I'd rather buy on this

side of the ocean, where I can track my payments and, if the case, more easily contact the

seller (and put some pressure on him...). Anyway, I came across the auction too late.

Glad to hear you all think it was an issue affecting only that second-hand lens