Sony DSLR-A700 Now on Sony USA Website

gerry297

ISO ranges from 100-6400. Not 160. The camera is just generally more responsive than the A100, as you would expect for the users its aimed at. 6-10% resolution increase... something like that. Improved ISO performance. interchangable screens. sony branded vertical grip, arguably the best one available in a-mount.

www.sony.co.uk --- go to the digital slr section, then click on the flash player below that shows the a700. then skip the intro (though it is quite nice to watch ;) and go to 'equipment' and then there is an option to compared the a100 and a700 side by side. that should be a good point to start a comparison :)

From http://www.sony.co.uk/

"DRO Dynamic Range Optimisation can be applied to RAW as well as JPEG files."

Yeah! I wonder how - in post production, have they put DRO into the new software, and locked it for the new Sony A700 raw only, or also for A100 and earlier RAW images, even non-Sony-branded source digital image files - MRW?

Nice new features like UDMA high speed memory card access and wireless remote control. I wonder how integrated the

GPS Unit Kit GPS-CS1KA (+~$150US?) will be. It seems NOT to be listed as compatible at

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665078257&tab=Compatibility

.. but IS shown as an accessory at Sony UK, and is the tease image for the accessories link at Sony Style even though it's then NOT in the subsequent list of available accessories! Hmm ...

They've done almost everything I want except those lovely top twin dials from the Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 507si-on, and in digital, with the Minolta DiMage 5/7/A-series, but the (Fn) button should provide quick access where the previous dials used to - still, I wonder if we can see what adjustment we're making or have made when we have our eye to the viewfinder.

Now to await them to come on the used market ...

Thanks for the links and info so far. Great job. everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a chance to handle the A700, I think it's a very impressive camera.

Thank God they didn't include the sissy live view function, this might be one the last true photographic cameras before they'll start introducing video functions, I guess that's where the industry is headed.

I think the A700 is the direct competition of the canon 40d, except that you can save lots of money on the stabilized lenses.

Nikon must be on their knees thanking that sony came up with a new sensor, I don't know how they survived for almost a decade recycling the same sensor from sony.

The sensor noise it's definitely lower than the 10 mpx ccd on the A100, but not as good as the rebel's xti.

I heard that they were gonna come up with a "total sony design", I am glad they didn't and retain the minolta legacy in their design.

I think the A700 is a step in the right direction, I like the idea of having options and there are more coming this way.