Sony DSLR-A100

jenny_benfair

Hi,

I would like to make the merge into professional photography in the future. I

just bought a Sony DSLR-A100, and am wondering if it is a good choice for semi-

pro and pro shots.

I like Sony because I have always used them. I also liked the price ($699).

What is the difference between this camera and other professional grade

cameras? Have I made a good choice? What do the pros use to take such amazing

shots (especially landscape, with such vivid colors)?

Thank you in advance!

Jenny

Jenny, the camera you've bought is just fine for what you want to do. It's a great platform to build on. I shoot weddings with one and the only complaint I have is the ergonomics of the selector dial on the top left. It's just not as fast as if you had separate buttons for those functions instead of burying them in a rotating dial. However, with the 10mp sensor and the color processing, this camera produces stunning enlargements and results. Also, in low lighting, there is a bit more digital noise than I would like, but it's easily fixed with the right software, or shooting RAW.

Many Nikon or Canon purists will tell you that those brands are the main (or only) choice for professional work (short of Hasselblad). However, I get gorgeous results with my camera by using quality optics (which are critical, no matter what camera you buy). It also helps to really understand the art and technique of good photography, and to understand the controls and settings of your camera implicitly. And, the image stabilization built into the body of your camera makes ANY Minolta Maxxum, Sony, or 3rd party lens stabilized (so you can handhold the camera in low lighting without using a tripod). The only way to get that in Nikon or Canon is to buy the very expensive image-stabilized lenses, which gets MUCH more expensive.

The reality is that Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus ALL make great (amazing) products these days that we couldn't even dream of 10 years ago. It's a matter of choosing what you like and learning to use it.

Now, the Sony does NOT quality as a true "pro" camera. But some of us get pro results with them. And Sony is about to introduce a semi-pro and pro version of the Alpha.

With "pro" cameras, there are a number of technical innovations and features that comprise that definition. They typically have magnesium frames rather than plastic. They often have battery grips on the bottom with vertical shutter buttons. They usually have really well-designed controls for professional adjustments. They usually have very low digital noise at high ISO settings. They have large internal buffers for high frame rate shooting and other processing innovations. And, they're more expensive, usually above $2000.

I have yet to meet ANY photographic professional who can simply look at a high quality image I shot with the Alpha and tell you what camera shot it, or whether it was a "pro" quality camera or not (without reading the EXIF information). The sensor in the camera is on par with most of the DSLRs out there today in terms of resolution and quality. Optics really make a big difference. I like Sigma. Others like Tamron. Certain Minolta Maxxum optics tend to be good too. And, if you like to spend money, you can get the Carl Zeiss lenses from Sony, but their quality will silence any elitist.

Stunning images are a product of a number of things: high resolution, great optics, camera technique, composition, lighting, and a beautiful subject. It's always great when those elements combine and a great image results. Enjoy your Alpha!

Hi Jenny,<BR>

Welcome to the Sony/Minolta club...rest assured that you have made a good choice. By the time you *need* more camera than the A100, there will be an upgrade path. After I got hyped up about the new Canon DSLR that just was announced, SONY announced their upcoming 12MP chip - things are looking bright again here. The only difference between the Pro bodies and the amateur bodies are things like speed, longevity, and weather proofing. Probably not much for you to worry about right now. Just get out there and start taking picture of everything. Practice.<BR><BR>

The camera is literally a box that traps light. The sensor matters some in a digital camera, just like different film matters in my Maxxum 7. If you shoot in low ISO (100 to 400) your results will always be steller. My wife shoots some weddings with the Alpha, and her shots turn out quite well. She gets many compliments...even from some of the best photogs in town that she has been a second shooter for. No one can tell she didn't use a Canon 5D like the other shooter when it's said and done.<BR>

However, lenses are what really matter. Minolta made some of the best ever. Poke around the various forums - here and on www.dyxum.com and learn about the lenses; get a good one and do not hesitate to shoot your pro work with Minolta/Sony.<BR>

Jed

I am a huge fan of Minolta (of which the Sony DSLR system is based on.) I have a film Maxxum 7 and digital 7d. With that said, I do not consider Sony a wise choice for building a camera system for professional use.

As a professional, you will have to rely on your equipment to make a living. That requires camera bodies with pro level reliability and performance as well as pro-level customer service.

Sony customer service is already renowned for sucking the blood out of customers. I'll leave it at that.

The A100 is not a pro level body. It is on par with the digital 7d (and I do not consider the 7d to be a pro level body.) In fact the film 7 was closer to a pro level body. The focusing speed of the 7D and A100 are relatively slow, body ruggedness is not there, & flash sync is too slow. I also don't care what anyone says about the availability of pro level lenses is...a camera company that has only one amatuer level body available is not a brand to build a living on.

There is a very valid reason as to why Canon and Nikon are the pro's choice of cameras. They have the customer support network, they have the pro level equipment available now, and they are a proven system to build on. Minolta is dead and Sony is unproven in the DSLR market right now.

And that is coming from a Minolta fan (who does not have to rely on his equipment to feed his children.)

One more thing...

You asked: What do the pros use to take such amazing shots (especially landscape, with such vivid colors)?

Answer: Their brain and years of practice and experience. An $8000 Canon DSLR in the hands of a newbie is a paper weight. Great pictures have nothing to do with equipment. Pros buy pro level equipment so that they are not limited by the equipment but by their own skill level.

I like Thang's name, and his response. He makes some valid points. There's one more "thang" I wanted to mention...

I started with the Konica Minolta 5D, primarily due to its price point and image stabilization. I moved up to the Sony Alpha as a logical progression, because I had invested in A-mount lenses and didn't want to Ebay everything. I will eventually move up to one of the two new pro models coming out soon.

You sometimes stick with what you know, and what you're invested in.

If I started over now, I'd still stick with this platform over any other brand (except maybe for the stabilized Pentax K10D). Being able to handhold and move around in a poorly lit church without monopod or tripod makes the stabilization well worth any sacrifices in "pro" features for me.

Steve,

I agree and am in the same boat as you. I bought a 7D because I had tons of money invested in lenses and flashes for my 7. However, Jenny is starting new from what it sounds like. There are more things to consider than image stabilization when investing in a pro level system.

Personally, I would go with Canon. The variety of bodies demonstrates that Canon has the will to invest. They have a robust system of lenses that should fit a variety of needs.

great info from all. I have moved recently from a pocket sony p200 to the new a100. I was a expert with the little guy, but this new camera can be intimidating at times.

I did do research and found a great lens to learn with (18-200) for local and travel shooting. I do know that the body isn't where the cost will be, but smart investing of lens. Can someone tell me what is a great lens for portraits? I am trying to buy a used Minolta lens to learn with because I thinks its a great bang-for-the-buck. I looked into a Minolta 28-135 G F4-4.5 1:4-4.5 for $350 used. The extra 'G' was the higher class model if I am correct. I was told to get the new Sony 50MM lens, $300, if possible.

I love the way portrait shots or macro shots are filled with Bokeh elements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Take a good look at the KM 28-75mm f2.8 (D) for a portrait lens. Of course, that is assuming you want a zoom lens.<BR>

If you want a prime, then try a Minolta 50mm f1.7 - much cheaper than the Sony version and equal optically. It will behave like a 75mm, which is a good portrait length. Of course some will say get the 50mm f1.4, but that will be quite a bit more than the f1.7 - probably not worth it in many cases.<BR><BR>

If you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, I've heard the 100mm f2.8 macro is awesome to shoot with - but I haven't used that one myself.<BR><BR>

Best of luck,<BR>

Jed

John Lee,

Portrait lenses traditionally are in the 80-135mm range (although what you take a portrait with is completely dependant on your artistic taste.)

KM 28-75mm is a good zoom in that range.

KM 100mm macro f/2.8 is fantastic. I have the newer "D" version. I love it. In fact, it is my dedicated portrait lens. One caveat is that it could be TOO SHARP for older adults. Being a macro lens, it will bring out every wrinkle on an older person's face.

Maxxum 85 f/1.4 is a "G" lens, is a great lens, and the cream of the crop. Waaaay expensive, even used.

Get a used Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 lens. I got mine from keh.com in "excellent" condition for $50 (incl shipping) Aside from my macro, the 50mm is the sharpest lens I have and was on my film 7 99% of the time. The Sony version f/1.4 but unless you do alot of lowlight, handheld shooting, I don't think you'll get your money's worth.

You wrote:

***I love the way portrait shots or macro shots are filled with Bokeh elements.***

If you want to take portraits and macro, then go with a used macro lens. There are tons available at www.keh.com. That would be my recommendation. The older non-D version is all metal and was rated by photodo.com as the sharpest macro out of all of the manufacturers. I got the "D" version which is all metal, supports "D" metering, and has larger focusing ring which makes it easier to handle. You can't go wrong with either.

Check out these postings for more info on the macro:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JRD6

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007ztz

BTW, there was never a 28-135 "G" lens. Someone is listing it with the "G" to make extra money.

I am sure that it is a fine camera and I am sure that SONY will build a complete platform to build on. I am NOT commenting on good or bad. But to answet your question of what do most (I did not say all, but most) pros use. that would be Canon or Nikon. But as one poster pointed out, SONY has a PRO level slr on the way(very soon I am sure).

When that happen we will see if that market shifts. I would not think many current pros would switch but the up and comers may go that route. But that is not what you are worried about.

Did not want to shake your confidence but just wanted to answer the question about what do most pros use.

Jason

a Canon guy ;0)

• 2 weeks later...

Jenny,

Look, if your interest is to go pro, then aside from equipment, you should consider talent!!! I often hear discussions between photographers of various levels, and their opinion of equipment that is necessary in order to become pro. Whatever you have, as long as you know how to use it like a pro, then go for it. After all, the only difference between an amateur and pro is that professionals get paid to do what we do. That's it!!! I have seen many amateurs that have pro talent not move ahead because of fear, and because they have this fear they tend to push it off on equipment. Bottom line, all the equipment in the world is not going to help you break that fear or become a better photographer. In fact, it will probably make your photography equipment purchases quite heavy, since you will continually purchase lenses, lighting, newer cameras, whatever, and in the end it will not help.

I myself have purchased the Sony DSLR-A100, and had to buy a new everthing on the camera end to accomodate what I already do with my equipment. But that was OK because I liked how the camera felt, and how it shot. I am a professional photographer myself, and the investment is minimal if your making money with the equipment you already have. If not, what's the point, it won't make you money or a better photographer if you still don't know how to shoot, frame, light, and control your equipment.

Before this camera I used my sony cybershot DSC-F707 and DSC-F717 (5MP cameras). I bought a couple of lenses, purchased the hot shoe and cold shoe flashes, and went pro. That's all I needed. From there I made money and purchased my strobes, reflectors, white boxes, the works, and I didn't need to buy new cameras to make the customer's experience any better. The only reason I bought the alpha was, again, because I liked the way that it felt.

A wise person once told me, use what you have right now, and if you make money with it, then buy more. If not, your just wasting your money, because you'll continually have to catch up to your equipment purchases to make a profit, which is we professional photographers always think about.

Look, if you are the person that among your family and friends that consistently takes better pictures than everyone else because you trust your photographic insticts, then the bottom line is that if your happy with your equipment, and you know how to use it well enough to shoot something professionally then use what you have, and don't waste time. Just do it.

In the end, just so you don't think that I didn't give you any tips, I will leave you with these:

1. If you want to go pro, then at least buy a camera that has the option to add a hot or cold shoe flash. Point and shoot cameras have a very strong mounted flash, and you want to have the ability to change the angle of the lighting (bounce), and the strength. You will also need this option available if you want to later add strobes to your equipment arsenal, as they require hot or cold shoe compliance.

2. Buy a camera that allows you to change lenses, or add-on lenses. This way you can buy a telephoto, a wide angle, a macro lenses, and a macro light ring for additional shooting ability.

3. Make sure that your camera will allow you to control it manually. As your skills improve you will need to be able to control the shutter speed, the aperture, exposure level, the ISO, and white balance.

4. Batteries, Batteries, Batteries!!! Make sure the cost to keep the thing operating isn't too high. When using your camera on a professional shoot, you will be shooting alot more times then you are probably used to, and the battery that you used to last you an 2 hours will probably only last 75% of that time, even less if it's cold). You will also need batteries for the top mounted flash too. (This is probably what we have the most of in our camera bags!)

5. Memory, Memory, Memory!!!. Make sure that you have enough memory to keep taking pictures. Especially for Weddings!!! When you shoot a wedding or any event, you should not stop shooting until it is time to leave, not when you run out of memory. Also, make sure you have more than one memory card. Only having 1 will lead to disaster if you lose that 1 or if it becomes damaged.

6. Make sure that you buy a camera that has a large enough sensor that will be able shoot the maximum size print that you will be offering . I see people going higher and higher because everyone claims that you can only get a certain size picture with a certain size megapixel camera. I was able to print up to 2' x 3' in perfect detail with my 5MP sony cameras.

7. Make sure the replacement cost is too high on your camera. If you are sure you are going to go pro, then I'm sure that you realize that we professionals have more than one of the same camera. You always have to have your backup camera. If you have one alpha and another something else that you are used to using, then the other one will be your backup. But when you get a chance, if your pro, then buy yourself another alpha. AND YES CAMERAS DO GO DOWN SOMETIMES NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE!!! (While I was shooting a wedding one time in the summer, another photographer that I use to help me sometimes was having trouble with his camera (He was using a Nikon), and in the end he had to use my backup camera, as he didn't have one. It would have been a disaster for him if I wasn't there with my backup.

8. Study - Although it is not necessary, you "should" start understanding the art of photography. (You said you wanted to know how we got the amazing shot and vivid colors) Studying how photography started, the physics of light, bounce photography, modern posing, landscape photography, portrait photography, as well as the Zeltsman approach for classic posing would be a good start. And don't forget to experiment!!!!

At this point, I know that I have probably answered more than you had asked, but the other responses seemed to do so as well, and I just thought that I might try pointing you in the right direction, since the other responses were probably not from professionals, even though they were very good.

To make a long story short, you have made a very good purchase in equipment if you plan on going pro. That camera allows for the options that I have mentioned, and it is a very solid camera. The rest is up to you.

Oh yeah, and if you would like to see what you can do with a sony 5MP camera, look me up on www.propixphoto.com.

Best wishes and Good luck,

Carlos Vega

ProPixPhoto.com

Hi

I recently obtained A Sony A100 had been using Maxxum for quite a while. The A100 is more Minolta than Sony and Sony is making a point of this. Canon is on their radar screen as the one to beat. So far the annouced the 12.5 megapixal senor followed by the A700. The new lenses they released have been mostly full frame 35mm. While I think they maybe marketing the existing Maxxum user I think there is plans for full frame DSLR in the near future. If the A100 is any indication of what they have planned Nikon & Canon are going a run for their money. The Carl Zeiss lenses seem a little out of place on a A100 and better suited to camera with build quality of a Maxxum 9 or 9xi. I think the tradition innovation continues. Remember the people who maded Minolta what it was now work for Sony and Sony is a much better marketing company than Minolta was. Lastly competition is good for the consumer and the future of photographic equipment is very bright.