internal flash issues

bbclark

I have a Sony alpha. No matter what settings, (auto, pre, etc),I have tried

when usings the built in flash, my photos are always dark. This is limiting my

abilitiy to shot inside or when I need flash. Haven't bough a flash unit yet.

But you'd think the built in would work for close in shots...help? I am

looking at the Sigma EF-500 DG ST ADI.

Well, I think I figured it out...when I use 'D' lens the flash works just fine! When I go to the standard 5 pin contector lens...I need to set on pre-flash and but it has to be DARK..Can't seem to force the flash at all...and is there a way to set your pre-flash as default? I have look everywhere in the settings with no avail?

Yes, the built-in flash should work fine for close subjects. In fact, because it's direct flash, it often has just the opposite affect - that of being too bright.<BR><BR>

Using a standard lens (ie something from say 35mm to 100mm), try turning the mode dial to the Green P mode - then shoot with the flash popped up and see if this gives you a decent exposure...that should be factory settings - you can't "accidentally" change anything. If it doesn't work correctly in that mode, then let us know.<BR>

Jed

Sounds like you're using the green Auto mode. This resets a lot of things back to default when you turn on the camera. I recommend to <b>not</b> use this mode.

<p>Use regular P mode. Then go to your settings and set the flash mode to Pre-flash TLL. The settings will stay as you set them. Then the way to force use of the flash is to flip it up. If you don't want flash, close it down.

<p>BTW, ADI works well with original non-D lenses. There are a lot more problems with third-party non-D lenses and third-party flashes. But with pre-flash TTL mode you're on the safe side.

<p>Also see pages 86 and 87 of the manual.

Thanks for the info...will try shooting only in 'P' mode...I did get a Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash. Will try that with the 'P'. Hopefully I'll get things figured out now with your help. Thanks...will post a photo soon!

Beve