SONY ALPHA V/S MINOLTA 7D

r d singh

Hello Friends, I have complete set of lenses for my Minolta 9000. Please advice

me which one is better for me to upgrade to digital, Minolta 7D ( which is only

available as second hand now, but was very successful ) or Sony Alpha? I am

confused, but i like to click sharp pics and don't want to buy any new lenses.

Thanks.

Why not wait a little longer as Sony will be releasing a new DSLR that would be, if it was made by KM, the replacement for the KM 7D. While Sony has two DSLRs planned, one is supposed to be released this year, and most think that it will be the mid-level model and not the 'flagship' model.

Any. Depends on what you want. The lenses are compatible with both. A flash, if you have one, will be compatible with neither. The user interface of these cameras are so different what I wouldn't recommend one of them blindly. Do you want a more robust camera, or is a less robust one OK? Do you want (or need) 10 MP, or are 6 OK? Which user interface do you like better? Do you need a PC sync socket? Do you want to shoot tethered? Do you need a vertical grip? etc, etc.

Thanks guys, but i need a robust camera. How much difference will 6 Mega or 10 Mega make if i have to blow prints up to say...16x20. What is PC sync socket. Sharpness of the image is very important to me...as i may go in for macro photography sooner or later.I have read somewhere that Sony alpha makes a lot of noise and it's autofocus is very sluggish, is it true?

Thanks

The 7D is very robust. Large parts of the outer body and the inner frame are metal. The A100 is much more "plasticy".

<p>

For a 20" print at 300 ppi (a common printing resolution) you'd need 6000 pixels. The A100 can provide 3872, the 7D 3008. So you'd have to stretch both, the A100 to an effective 193 ppi, and the 7D to 150 ppi. Viewed from the proper distance for a 20" print, you'd probably have difficulties seeing the difference.

<p>

A PC sync socket allows you to connect the camera to a studio flash system. The 7D does have one, the A100 doesn't. You'd need extra accessories for the A100.

<p>

Sharpness of the image depends more on the quality of the lens, shooting technique and proper post-processing, not so much on the raw pixel numbers. The camera resolution only sets the upper limit.

<p>

As for noise, it depends on what you compare the A100 with. Compared with similar cameras of other brands you'd probably see a difference when using the highest ISO settings, but you'd have to look hard. For macro photography you may not use ISO settings above 400 often, so this is probably not that relevant.

<p>

The AF system of the A100 is not sluggish at all. In fact, it's said to be better than that of the 7D. And again, a lot depends on the lens.

<p>

As Craig said, the A100 is available new today, with warranty. The 7D is only available on the second hand market.

nobody mentioned the fact that all the controls on the 7d are easily accessible, the simplest to use camera i have seen. Sure most of the time you will have time to make adjustments to your Alpha via the menus but when you're in a rush having them to hand is a real boon. Don't get sucked in by the MP debate 6MP is not much difference to 10MP and is more than adequate for most events.