User_502260

I need a -1 eyepiece diopter for my Minolta X-700 cameras. I thought the

extra -1 Konica diopter might fit. Both the Konica FT-1 and the Minolta X-700

have rectangular eyepieces but the Minolta eyepiece seems a bit too large and

I can't get the Konica diopter to fit. I see that Minolta made somethng

called the Eyepiece Correction 1000 diopter in various strengths. I know they

were made for the Maxxum cameras. Will one of these fit my X-700? My SRT-201

body also seems to have the same size eyepiece as the X-700. Will the same

eyepiece accessories fit the X-700 and the STR-201?

<p>Here are the lens numbers and diopter magnitudes: </p>

<table border=1 frame=border rules=all>

<tr><th>Lens Number</th> <th>Diopter</th></tr>

<tr>

<td># 1</td>

<td>+0.5</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 2</td>

<td>+1</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 3</td>

<td>+1.5</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 4</td>

<td>+2</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 5</td>

<td>+3</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 6</td>

<td>-1</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 7</td>

<td>-2</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 8</td>

<td>-3</td>

</tr><tr>

<td># 9</td>

<td>-4</td>

</tr>

</table>

I guess I need to retract the certainty of my statement. My guess is that the "Eyepiece Corrector Vn" was manufactured during the X-series period, and the "Eyepiece Corrector 1000" was manufactured during the Maxxum/Dynix/Alpha period. As above, my "Vn" items do fit the three different generations. I don't know for a fact that the "1000" is backward compatible - but for $10-$20 I would take the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered a -1 diopter for my MF gear, it was one from the new serie (1000, not Vn), and it didn't fit. It did not "click" in the viewfinder but jumped back, even when pressed with much force. I tried to cut it a little smaller with a knife, but now the diopter is lost.

(the glass is still o.k, but the black frame is gone)

To second what Jeroen says. I now have both "1000" and "Vn" versions. The "1000" is slightly larger across the narrow, vertical dimension. The "1000" will not fit in either an srT101 nor an X-570. I fits fine in a Maxxum. The "Vn" fits fine in the SRT and X-series. The "Vn" fits and functions in a Maxxum - but can slide around a little - not so much that it would fall out - but otherwise works.

To dan: a "diopter" is a small lens that fits in or over the eyepiece of the viewfinder. It comes in "plus" and "minus" diopter values that corresponds to the corrections on your eyeglasses. This way you don't need your glasses to focus. If you wear contacts then you don't need this.

If you have used binoculars you notice that the setting for one person may be out of focus for the next person. This is because your eye is part of the optical system - if you are near or far sighted you adjust the binoculars until the image is in focus.

But in an SLR your eye is not part of the optics - the lens system is designed to focus on the film and on the "ground glass" of the internal viewing screen. Since I normally need correction I can focus the image until it is the "least blurred" and I will be in focus - the focus point does not shift, as on the binoculars, just because my eyes are bad. I need correction to view the image on the viewing screen.

Many cameras have a diopter adjustment dial builtin to the viewfinder - so you don't need external lenses. On the Minolta the lenses snap into the inside edge of the viewfinder window. Many other brands will slide on to the outside of the viewfinder bezel (even the Minolta has grooves there).

Just to confuse things a little more: "Diopter" is also used to describe a close-up lens that screws on to the front of your camera lens (like a filter). It allows you to focus more closely on an object - it is a low-cost way to do macro photography kinds of things.

Thanks alot for the info Andrew n allthe time ive been using my camera ive never came acros the term Diopter. I haver always had bad vision but wheni was younger i started to wear contacs the same year i took photography in middle school; only recently since i quit working to finally go back to college I returned to wear glasses again all the time. Contacts get expensive. And in the past year and a half since i been taking pictures again its kinda anoying to focuf with them. I have a minolta x-700 how would i go about getting a Diopter and how would i figure out what one i would need to buy?

• 5 months later...