New Sony DSLRs

ivo_stankus

Well, finally some fuel for the rumour game :)

This was taken at PMA today:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2007/03/thumb800x800_414805997_

dc0adefd65_o.jpg

No specs, or info except that we should see both the "high amateur" model, and

the "flagship" model by the end of this year.

They both look beautiful to my eyes (though they are obviously non-working

prototypes). Especially the high end model with the huge, oldschool prism looks

sexy. Actually both cameras look very much Minolta.

Time to buy the piggy bank and star saving!

Other pics are at http://www.gizmodo.com

A little disappointing. Sony has had a year to work with former Minolta engineers to come out with more than the A100 which had already been designed by Minolta before Sony's buyout. Unless they're going to shoehorn in their rumored full-frame sensor they'll be an also-ran in the marketplace.

Excellent! ... Now to find some stats to drool over.

The grips appear to be duplicates, and made for smallish hands? In either case, both cameras look solid and well influenced by Minolta design. It's difficult to tell with the reflection there, but are we seeing a lack of a pop-up flash on the 'flagship' one?

The prism on the higher-end camera indicates that it doesn't have a built-in flash. While it was useful on the Maxxum 9, many pros 'pooh-poohed' it as being un-professional, preferring to use a separate flash. Is this an indication that the camera is the highly anticipated 'PRO' model?

From the links from the other thread, this may be more significant as details (may) develop. "The company also announced it will add more lenses to the line, such as 24-70mm, 70-300mm, 28-250mm lenses." If they go to an external flash only model, not uncommon but perhaps not that defining these days, maybe they'll have pulled the flash system back together.

Ooooh!Yeah!!!!! Its Kool-Aid time! This lemonade stand is a kickin!

I'm sure you all have been scouring the net, forums etc...

I believe I saw on engadget mention of a big press conference at the tail end of or just after PMA. Progress my friends. Yes 8 new lenses in the lineup. that rumored Zeiss 24-70/2.8 yummy.

Let's hope that they revert back to in body flash- spares all of us from buying a 5600 to act as controller for other wireless flashes. Oh and to those who don't know- The pro's that pooh poohed this (read as: biased magazine reviewers) they didn't realize they just shelled out an additional 400 bucks at the time:) just to keep that flash on the body. In fact Canon still has this problem. DOH! Where's the advantage in that?

Despite the lack of any specific information on the models, I am very excited. My doubts that Sony is not taking the SLR market seriously, and that they have abandoned the Minolta legacy have (almost) evaporated. It may take a long time before we see the final product, but I like what I see so far. The pictures do seem a bit vague regarding the new lenses, and I wish someone had taken more detailed photos, but some photos look very interesting. Is that a 300/4 SSM lens I see? A Zeiss 24-70/2.8?

This is great news - and YES! i've been crawling all over the web to get more info. What i have read (from Japanese/English interpreted interview with a Sony honcho) is NOTHING! They (SONY) are keeping very quiet about all details of the camera's other than obvious generalities.

I am sooo pleased to see the very-well designed vertical grips - lotsa controls never before on a A mount grip. Also, that improved lens lineup is very interesting.... So, why in the world did they make the 16-80mm APS-C?!? (mumbles under his breath, "stupid, stupid, stupid"...)

I am hoping that the tech details and real, production IQ really puts a slap on Canon for a change. That would heat things up nicely and hopefully into a nice price war!!!

fm

If the pro model fulfils the hoopla that Sony has now sort of officially released, this has probably saved me 10 grand or so. I will reward Sony by buying one as soon as it comes available and will get couple of new lenses for it as well, on top of the 8 Minolta lenses I already have. I only hope it is a bit faster to the market than the Pentax 645D and the Mamiya ZD and the new Olympus E-1 which was sort of coming several years ago.