Wide angle lens for Sony a100

craig payst

Hi all,

I'm kind of an intermediate novice, I've been taking photos with my point and click for years but have

decided that I want to learn and do more, and so I've recently purchased a Sony alpha 100 DSLR.

I'm very happy with the camera, and now I want to make that next bold move and purchase a wide-

angle lens. I would be very interested in any suggestions, reccomendations, potential trouble spots, or

hints on brands to avoid. If anyone can point to photos taken with any reccomended lens, it would be

much appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

<p>You might want to check out <a href="http://www.dyxum.com/">www.dyxum.com</a> they have lens reviews.</p>

<p>I don't know what your budget is, but as I recall, the Sigma 20 f1.8 got good reviews. This would be the equivalent of a 30mm lens on a film camera due to the crop factor.</p>

<p>You could also consider the Sigma 15 F2.8 EX Fisheye lens, if you don't mind the fish-eye effect, which will be less pronounced than it would be with a 35mm camera.</p>

<p>Anyway, I suggest you go to dyxum, read some reviews, and look at some sample images made with the various lenses.</p>

I've had great luck with my Tokina 20-35, but since I have been using it on my Minolta 7D, it's not such a wide angle any more because of the digital conversion factor of 1.5. So, a couple of months ago, I bought a Tamron 11-18 for about $500. I recommend that you check out B&H Photo Online, because I have found that they have the best combination of prices, selection, and service.

Scott

I have been looking long at the Sigma 15-30, BUT DO NOT HAVE IT (YET!!!). It has some very good reviews on Dyxum, though only 9 as of today. However, there are many, many great reviews on the lens from Canon users and it should be the same optics, but with a different mount. Sigma also as a 12-24 that is well regarded too, but a bit more spendy...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, wides are not cheap. Especially on the APS-C DSLRs thanks to their crop factor. When I was still shooting my Maxxum 7, I used the Tamron 20-40 f/2.7-3.5 and rarely needed to go all the way to 20mm.

But now with my A100, I need to get a wide too and I've been mulling over the same decision you are. I've decided to get the Sigma 12-24 for two reasons. The first is the better control of distortion over the Sigma 10-20. The second is the full frame coverage. If (and I believe when) Sony releases future full frame DSLR models, I won't need to change the lens for one with a larger image circle. So for a $150 premium over the 10-20, my decision was that it was worth it.

I know lens purchases are a hard pill to swallow some times. I regularly have to come up with some extreme deals with my wife to allow me to buy lenses (one of the reasons it's been a long time since I bought any new ones.) But remember, good glass can last you a lifetime. Bodies can come and go with the tech, but a good piece of glass will always be your friend.