Minolta AF 100mm f/2.8

ricardovaste

Hi,

Just got this lens and it came with the 'macro ring flash 1200' all in a nice

little case. No scratches on the glass and the external body was in

suprisingly good condition. Stops down properly. Autofocus works and i was

suprised how fast it was considering the focusing range.

All for 32GBP (plus 7 GBP postage)

I didnt think it sounded right when i payed for it but i thought it was worth

the small risk/price.

BUT, theres something that looks likes a small fungus growth on the rear

element. It kind of looks like the veins on a leaf, that sort of appearance.

Its very small, probably only 3mm in diameter but its in the frame. Is it

worth sending it somewhere to have it cleaned? Is there likely to be any

damage done to the lens so far or if i have it cleaned?

Input on what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Richard

p.s.

i wasnt on the look for this lens as i have the 100mm f/4, i just stumbled

into it when looking for an SRT-101

I've picked up a few bargains in my time, but that sounds like the deal of the century. Congratulations!

It might be 100% cleanable, it might leave a slightly funny patch but I'd say it's certainly worth a try. I don't know who to recommend, though. Good luck, Sam.

Thanks Sam. Okay, if its worth a try ill ask at my local (local ish) camera shop to see if they can help me. Does anyone have an idea on what sort of price i can expect to pay for removing/cleaning the fungus from the lens?

I hear in the worse cases the whole element has to be removed and replaced. I would expect this would involve it being passed around to Sony, which i would imagine would be quite expensive. Will it be all that noticable if i just have i cleaned?

Hi Richard,

These are the official KM Service & Repair for the UK. The lens will Cost about GB 88 , Give them a call or try Sendean Cameras In London I have Used them in the Past for a Dynax 7000i Camera repair Minolta the Cost of a AF lens Repair GB 69

JP Service Solutions

Johnsons Photopia Ltd

Hempstalls Lane

Newcastle under Lyme

Staffordshire

ST5 0SW

Tel: 01782-753366

Fax: 01782-753340

Email: kmsupport@jpss.co.uk

Hope this helps

Thanks for that Bob. "Sendean Cameras" just got back to me. They say that they can clean the element (elements) and remove the fungus but, if it has damanged the coating they cannot replace that. But it will apparently have no effect on image quality. The estimate the cost at ?50 + VAT which is very reasonable and the sort of prices i would have hoped for.

There isnt a time estimate yet but ill let you know how its goes when i get the lens back.

Thanks for the help,

Richard

Yes, hopefully i will. Ill be looking towards its working ability rather than its value personally. Im unlikely to sell the lens on as macro is something ive intended to concentrate on and now i dont really have any limitations (never needed to go beyond 1:1). Though i can sell my manual focus macro equipment now...

When you used Sendean Cameras what was the turn around time? (out of interest).

Furthermore, can anyone direct me to a detailed review of this lens? or possbility one of the later versions (all same optical quality i assume), as i have not been able to find anything of any detail at all yet.

14 days sounds good but after reading the reviews on dyxum.com i dont want to let the lens go! i want shoot some slides and get them printed. Ah, i guess it will have to wait. Those reviews do make it sound like a pretty fantastic lens though. I just hope it doesnt get damaged in the process of its repair!

Ive got a few frames left from a colour negative that i used for a game of football a few days ago so i guess i can use them on it but im only having them printed at 6"x4" so i doubt ill really see much of its quality. then ill sent it off on monday. be interesting to see if the fungus shows up on the last few frames though.

Also, looking at this site you both showed me to (looks great for reviews) i notice that the 200mm f/4 macro APO G has a sharpness rating of 4.5 where the 100mm f/2.8 macro (1986) has a sharpness rating of 4.96. I know this is nothing conclusive as they are only online reviews but it still makes me wonder why the 100mm lens wasnt given the "G" golden ring? --- any ideas?

Thanks for that. It does seem to show that the first G lenses were all release at the same time. but there were later version of the 100mm f/2.8 macro that were not labled G. do the later version of this lens contain higher quality glass? i just thought it was odd that this lens seems to be right up there in terms of sharpness but was still not later labed with the G.

Of course this doesnt mean anything anyway. Time will tell how sharp i find the lens to be and it doesnt sound like il be disapointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sendean Cameras are having a bit of a game with me i think, trying to see how much money they can get outa me. First quote was ?50 then VAT. Second ?80 then VAT. Third is ?120 then VAT! I really hope they dont call again to put the price up...

... at this rate im ending up paying what you would if you bought the lens for the normal price second hand!!