Dimage 7 Image Viewer

bill_force

I recently purchased a Dimage 7 for infra-red capability but I didn't get the

software CD with it. The specs on the manual state "Dimage Image Viewer

Utility" Version 1.00. I tried the update Version 2.37 from the Minolta web

page but it requires that the basic be installed first.

My question is will later versions that came with the newer 7 series such as

the A2 or A200 work with my camera? I can transfer my RAW files in CS2 but

would like to try the Minolta Software for JPEG's.

I did the same as you, bought a dimage 7 for IR work. The package was not complete, but I don't use the Minolta software. I just take out the CF card and download directly to my hard drive and CS2 to open the RAW files. I haven't had a real need for the software... YMMV...

Bill, you're welcome to any software I have, including original and UPGRADE ROM software for the 7 to the 7ug -- makes it a whole new camera. What version ROM do you have now?

Now, anyone, I'm looking for a LEGITIMATE, not demo, version of Minolta DiMage Master -- I have to keep setting my clock back to within the 30 day original install date of the demo to get it to work! Nice, though slow.

DiMage viewer lets you enlarge RAW 2x and DiMage master lets you enlarge RAW 3.12x so they are some of the nicest ways to resize with minimum noise. Many, many other features, plus, of course, Minolta's inscrutable color and exposure accuracy ... though with IR, I imagine you're trying to get creative since there is no referential "accuracy"! I look forward to the pictures!

Are you planning to remove the existing IR filter and replace it with a lens element? The camera is quite complex to disassemble and some lens control components are quite fragile plastic and do not survive stripped screw threads in plastic very well. I have the service manual PDF for my A1, and the access to internal parts is overwhelmingly complex. I don't think I have one for the 7 ... I'll get back to you, I thought I saw pages of it on the web someplace.

Are you using any guide from other people's IR experience with the MD7? Can you share links, please?

I killed two DiMage 7 cameras so be aware that you may need Sony service ($211 flat rate at last check), but I STILL want one for exactly what you are doing - IR!

However, I highly recommend also getting MRWFormat from http://www.dalibor.cz/ as it has just about the most RAW conversion options for Bayer demosaicing I've seen -- nice, and works in older versions of Adobe Photoshop (I still use PSv7 on Win98SE/ME).

The original install CD is over 200mb because of multiple languages and Adobe Acrobat and Apple QuickTime installations -- it takes a bit of editing to remove unneeded stuff which you can get on your own. The Owner's Instruction Manual is huge - 20mb, so I'll remove that and publish it separately!

NOW UPLOADED to:

http :// tech.groups.yahoo . com/group/dimage7/files/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dimage7/files/

... you'll see:

- Dimage_7_Updater_v200u_North_America -- folder, containing:

-- D_7upg_E.pdf 307 KB

-- dsc.app 1447 KB

-- ram.bin 298 KB

... plus files:

- DiMAGE Installer.exe (v2) 3705 KB

- Minolta-DiMage-5-7-Software-v101-Install-CD-English.zip 2533 KB <<this is what you are after!

- minolta-dimage-7-114-pages-dpreview-com.pdf 3418 KB

- Minolta DiMage 5-7 Software v101 English DIVU_7_E.pdf 1393 KB

Yes, later versions read earlier camera files with no problem.

Let us know how it goes and if you need anything else.

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Rokkor Alpha DiMage Photographer http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

PS -- you'll notice that this thread is NOT about the specific forum NEW name of

[sony/Minolta SLR System]

Intuitively, we all seem to know it's really about

[Konica / Minolta / Sony] -- ALL photo gear including cameras, scanners and accessories.

Yet another forum name change in order?

Thanks Peter, I figured it out. I downloaded the necessary files (bin etc.) and will flash the firmware.

Thank you so much...had to read some posts to get a handle on the upgrade proceedure but understand now. I'm kind of slow, only took my brothers place in school a couple of days when he was ill. :)