off-brand flashes?

keithsnyder

Does anyone have experience with off-brand flashes? The 5600 is expensive, and

the Sigma EF-500 is less so, but still sets the pocketbook back a bit. I see

one posted on ebay called Thyristor, which is really cheap by comparison,

showing swivel head, TTL, etc. The auxilliary flash that worked with my Maxxum

5 doesn't with the 5D, so I'm in the market for another. I don't do much

indoor photography, but might if I got better results.

"Thyristor" refers to the circuitry of the flash, and is probably not the name brand. In the 'old' days of elctronic flashes, the unit would dump all the power in the capacitors, even if it was not needed. This led to longer recycle times and shorter battery life.

The thyristor circuit allowed the capacitor to only discharge the amount of power needed to light the subject, which meant shorter recycle times and longer battery life. For example if the subject to be lit is close to the flash and only needed a little bit of flash, the flash would be able to cut the flash time and conserve power. In the old days, the flash output was not controlled.

Most if not all flash units on the market, are thyristor.

When you say the flash you used on your Maxxum 5 won't work on the 5D what do you mean exactly? If you mean you don't get the ADI metering then fair enough and you'll have to pay a good amount to get a flash that does. However, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get it firing at all. Which flash is it?

Usually thrysistor is referring to a non-ttl auto flash. What that means is that there is a sensor on the flash and it measures the light that returns to it and shuts the flash off when it determines that it has had enough. This is a cheaper option than the flashes that allow the 5D to determine how much light to put out, but you have to coordinate the flash and the camera yourself.

I have the 5D and am currently awaiting the arrival of my FS1100 shoe adapter (actually a generic one). I received my Nikon SB24 this week. The Nikon was cheap ($60) and has low trigger voltage (won't fry your camera) and 6 auto settings (f2 to f11 for 100iso).

Just received my generic fs1100 yesterday. They work great (I got two). They have the benefit of having a pc connection as well. I'm a little nervous about the SB24 on it as it seems a little precarious. I'll have to give it some time; it seems sturdy enough for normal use. I haven't actually seen the real fs1100, so I can't compare the two. If anyone's interested, the sellers name is something like Gadget Infinity. Shipping took less than two weeks from Hong Kong.

Keith - that's strange. I've tried a couple of different flashes out on the 5D and have had no problem making them fire. I would have assumed that that flash would work fine. Have you tried all the usual checks like batteries, clean contacts etc? I guess it's possible that your 5D hotshoe isn't working properly (unless you know otherwise). If you've got a friendly local camera shop why not take it in to test it?

I made sure the flash worked by putting it on the Maxxum 5. However, I live about two miles past the edge of the world, so there is no camera shop to which to take it to see if the hotshoe is malfunctioning. However, I will try to next time I'm out of town. I just got the camera as a factory reconditioned unit, so I'll be kinda surprised if they didn't check to see if the flash fires. The literature lists three flashed for the 5D, and the 2000xi isn't one of them.

Good luck with this. You might be interested to see the thread higher up the page on the compatibility of old lenses and flashes with the new Sony Alpha camera. I'd guess it pretty much applies to the 5D and 7D as well. It suggests that the 2000xi should work without the metering OK. Here's the link to the Sony site: <a href=http://support.sony-europe.com/DIME/digistill/alpha/compatibility/flash.asp?l=en&m=DSLR-A100>http://support.sony-europe.com/DIME/digistill/alpha/compatibility/flash.asp?l=en&m=DSLR-A100</a>

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that only the D series of flashes will work with the 5D and 7D in automatic mode. All non-D flashes will either operate on full power or in manual mode only. The reason for this is apparently (someone who knows more can correct me on this) because film cameras use the reflection off the film to calculate correct exposure. Digital cameras cannot do this due to high reflectivity off the sensor and have to use pre-flash in order to calculate exposure.

So the short answer is you need a D flash, whether it is Minolta, Sony or another off-brand. But if you don't need a lot of power, just rely on your pop-up flash. It will produce decent results as long as you aren't too far away from your subject.