Minolta camera that does double exposures

tara_r2

Hi,

I have a minolta maxxum 7000 camera, which I recently discovered does not do

double exposures. I'd like to buy a relatively inexpensive used minolta body

that has this feature (on ebay or such) so I can use the minolta lenses I

already own. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Tara

Minolta 9000, big brother/sister to your 7000, will do multiple exposures and uses the same lenses. There is a little grey button just next to the film winder. Hold it in while you wind on and the shutter will re-cock but the film won't wind on.

You can get them on ebay.

Actually the 9000 is a better camera all round than the 7000. The AF is the same (ie slow!) but the 9000 is easier to use (has a flick-switch rather than little buttons to change aperture etc). Has a manual film winder and a separate motor winder or motor drive that you can add - which means your camera can be relatively quiet unlike the 7000 which is reasonably noisy winding on.

They are not super cheap, but relatively cheap. Just watch the LCD panel on top, they almost all leak ink across the display, but usually only in the corner and not across the data display. Mine does this but hasn't leaked any further in at least ten years.

It is built like a tank and mine has survived rough treatment in Central America, Papua New Guinea, places like that.

I can't ever see myself needing another camera, ever. Well, maybe not, but I've never yet seen one I could afford that I wanted instead of the 9000.

It has excellent flash capabilities too and you can get stuff for it pretty cheaply second hand.

You won't regret it!

I hope this helps.

Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I did a quick check on ebay, and I saw a few auctions with 9000's going for around $100-150. Unfortunately, I was hoping to spend less than this (under $100, roughly). I saw a few closed auctions where maxxum 5's and XTsi's went for about $50. I know these are newer cameras and probably not as rugged as the 9000, but on the plus side, wouldn't the autofocus capabililties of these cameras be faster? Also, just to make absolutely sure, I can use any maxxum AF lens on any maxxum camera, correct? I'm not ruling out the 9000 just yet, but I'm curious what people might have to say about the other cameras I mentioned.

Tara

Hi Tara, with the 9000 you get older technique with a slower AF, but you get a pro-line camera, that is certainly of a much stronger built. For multiple exposures AF is not at all important, because your camera will mostly rest on a tripod. It's your choice, what is more important for you.

Stefan

Tara - to answer your second question first - yes all Minolta Maxxum/Dynax AF lenses fit all Minolta Maxxum/Dynax cameras.

As to which is the better/best camera out of the 2/3 you mentioned you can go back to Michael's and do a comparison of the specific cameras you want to look at by ticking the box to the left of photograph. They all function pretty well but some have more functions than others.

The 9000 is indeed rugged but is that of vital importance to you ? Work out your requirements in order of importance and see which camera comes nearest.

Hey,

Yeah those other cameras would do the trick too. I only recommended the 9000 because I have one and I know it does multiple exposures.

It totally depends on what you want it for. The 9000's AF is super slow, that's for sure. The newer ones would be faster. I like the 9000's ability to be manually wound on like an older camera, but if you don't need that, then again one of the others would be fine again.

I also have a 505si, recently inherited from my wife (who didn't die, just went digital!). I don't actually know if it can do multiple exposures but it is quite a nice camera and I bet it would be cheaper on ebay than a 9000. I think it is the earlier version of a 5 (guessing...). So if a 5 is only 50 clams, the 505 range must be around the same or even less?

I suppose you just need to draw up a list of your own requirements and judge from that. If you just need it solely for the multiple thing then by all means go for the cheapest body you can find that does it. Like another poster said, AF speed in that case is irrelevant. Unless you need the 9000's toughness there's not much point getting it, because the change you'd have by choosing something else could get you lens or something.

good luck!

Thanks everyone, for all the speedy feedback! I think the 9000 would be overkill for me (I'm not a pro, more like a beginner :) so I'll probably stick with something cheaper. I started my search only looking for a camera that does double exposures, but at the same time, if I'm going to invest in a new body, I would like to get the best quality/most features for my money, since I can imagine situations where I might use the new camera beyond making double exposures. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will examine the specs of each choice carefully, and try to determine which one is right for me.

Tara

Why not buying a Dynax(maxxum) 5

I had one and is a fine small and lightewight body.

It is much more advanced compared to 9000 which may show old age and break down on you(I had 7000 that broke down simply because of age). So I don't know if it is cheaper to buy a really old camera considering there is a danger of break down any moment(getting it fixed would cost more than the body itself). Besides film bodies are getting cheaper.

Decision is yours ofcourse.

Good luck

Hi Tara, I know you didn't mention it but take a look at the semi-pro 600si/650/507 models. All have multiple exp. bracketing, self timer, PASM dial,exp.& flash comp and the ability to use the wireless flash system like the 7,and 9 big brother models. Vertical grip option too! This body is about $100 now down from $165 this time last year. This is the most versatile and easiest to use (knobs/dials) with full manual overide plus tons of features for the money! Take a look at KEH.com. This is where I purchased mine.

Hello Tara,

Of all the cameras mentioned the Maxxum 5 has the most features, fastest AF and is the most up to date. Of course for multiple exposures you don't need fast AF, but you will not be doing MultExp. all the time and the 5 is light years ahead of your 7000. It is also one of the smallest cameras out there. Nice and unobtrusive if you are into street photography and easy to carry on hikes.

Mark

Pat,

The HTsi + is one model below the XTsi. Main differences are fewer custom functions and a plastic rather than metal mount. Not enough of a difference to make a difference. Both cameras are quite nice (i've had both) and I prefer them to the Max 4/5 due to the size. I find the 5 two small.

Mark

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I've decided to go for a Maxxum 5. I like the fact that it's small (I've got small hands) and that it has depth of field preview. Now all I have to do is find one! I'll give everyone an update when I do.

Tara

Since everyone has been so helpful, I'd thought I'd post another question, this time about lenses. In the course of my search online (basically eBay), I've come across auctions for the Maxxum 5 that include a 28-100mm lens. Now, I already have the 35-70mm lens that came with the 7000, and a 70-210mm lens I recently purchased. I've been thinking that the 28-100 might be a more convenient 'all-around' lens for those days I just want to carry one lens on me. What do you think? How does this lens compare to the 35-70 in terms of quality?

Thanks in advance,

Tara

Hello Tara,

The 28-100 that they are giving away with these cameras are not very sharp. You have most of the range covered with your lenses. You could add a 28mm or look at the Tamron 28-300 as an all around lens. It is getting some good personal reviews from users. It also covers a greater amount of range as a walkabout lens.

Mark

An answer depends very much on your budget.

Assuming you can stretch to it I would suggest you consider a 24-105. I use one as my everyday, all around lens when travelling light - especially in cities etc. when you get the wide-angle capability without going too extreme. It is also usable as a portrait lens at the longer end.

It is one of the D lenses which give you ADI and I believe the Dynax 5 can use this capability. It is also one of the lenses Sony are continuing in their line up of "new" lenses. They do come up second hand on fleabay etc. and you can always dispose of your 35-70 to offset some of the cost.

Rats, I had a feeling someone was going to tell me it wouldn't be that sharp. I just checked out the 24-105mm lens, and it is a bit pricey....maybe I'll look into getting one a few months down the road. I'm assuming from the price that it is a bit sharper than the 28-100mm?

In the end, I bid on a Maxxum 5 body + strap + manual in great condition, and got it for $45. Interestingly, it was $1 cheaper than the brand new remote cord I won a week earlier. Bill, I'm just curious, why did you call eBay fleaBay? I know there are no guarantees, but if you bid on items from sellers with positive feedback, who answer all your questions (I always make sure to ask detailed questions) and offer refunds, you're pretty much assured of getting a quality product.

Tara

Tara,

The Minolta 24-105 is a very sharp lens and well regarded. It is at the moment quite pricey. I would wait for Sony to start shipping some of these lenses before buying. There should be some kind of market correction once that happens. Fleabay mmm maybe because it is the worlds largest fleamarket?! I don't know other than I've never had a really bad experience in over 150 transactions. You are right, just watch who you buy from and research them.

Mark

Tara - why fleabay ? - well, it amuses me and it also reminds me of an internet flea-market ( good spot Mark ). I am not knocking it really as ( touch wood ) I have only done well out of it in close to a hundred deals, however always on the premise of CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Just out of interest you say you have a 70-210 - which one ? as we may be able suggest an upgrade here as well :)

Enjoy your new-to-you camera and let us know how you get on.

Oh, I understood the flea-market part, I just assumed you meant it in a derogatory way. I agree, if one abides by the principle of caveat emptor, buying on eBay can be quite rewarding.

The lens I own is a minolta 70-210mm f4.5-5.6. Go easy on me, will you, I don't think I can afford much more upgrading.... :)

Tara

It is tinged a little with being derogatory as it does have a slightly dodgy side. In the UK we have two cheapie airlines - easyJet aka sleazyjet and Ryanair aka lyingair - just a hint of truth in the nicknames.

70-210 - may I suggest you have a look at the f4 version - old but built like a brick-outhouse ( or tank if you prefer ) with great optics. Just check out the archives on this forum to see what people think. I really think it would be good to have this as stage two in your journey.

And then of course we start getting on to some good primes :)

Yes upgrading is addictive !

Have fun.