review

manu_nathani

1. The X-300s is just a newer version of the X-300 (and the X-300s is the "rest-of-the-world" non-North American-market version of the X-370n, the X-300 is the non-North American-market version of the X-370): the X-300s is from the 1990's, the X-300 is from the mid-1980's (howbout that for a run-on sentence...).

2. Both cameras are same, except the X-300s was given new "smoother" plastic body work, an ergonomic hand grip and a couple more signals in viewfinder.

3. All Minolta MANUAL focus MC and MD lenses (in SR mount) will work on either.

4. You could try a site like "MinMan"??

5. Yes, but why? Why not just find a cheap 135mm/f2.8?

If you're trekking, you don't want to carry too many lenses with you. To be fair, I carry a punishing amount of glass on my back, but I can't recommend it for everybody. At the very least, keep your eyes open for:

A good short to medium telephoto. Nice general purpose lens. The Tokina ATX 28-70 is pretty legendary.

A singular good wideangle will see you through most landscape scenarios. I own and use the lens below, and absolutely love the results. Sharp and crisp, even when shot wide open.

24mm f2.8 Minolta Rokkor MC

If you're planning on shooting wildlife, you'll need something long. If weight and size are an issue, consider a 500mm mirror lens. They can only really be used in good sunlight, but they're compact enough to throw in a rucksack. You'll probably not find the Minolta own brand, but Vivitar did an excellent 500mm in their series 1 lineup. A set of ND grads are useful for giving you some control over the shooting with this lens.

If you have space to spare, consider a *good* macro/short telephoto. Macro photography in the wild always yeilds interesting studies, and you should always consider looking small, as well as large. The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5, Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5 and Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 are all excellent lenses. Also consider Minolta's own 100mm Macro (I find the 50mm far to short to use).

Take pleanty of slide or B&W and enjoy yourself. And remember, you can sacrifice a lens, you can never sacrifice your tripod.<div>00HGG9-31124584.jpg.6e7ed3731fcacb6949ac93db3a6e307a.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...