Alpha 100 announcement June 6

cmphoto1

Brochers have been seen. The CG image that was writen off as a fake a few weeks

ago is said to be accurate. Rumored specs are as follows:

SONY Alpha 100

10.2 million effective pixels (10 Megapixel) APS-C size CCD Sensor

�Anti-dust protection system

�Super SteadyShot in camera body (switchable)

�Dynamic Range Optimiser

�BIONZ Image Processing Engine

�Maximum sensitivity: 1600 ISO equivalent

�2.5� 230K pixel Clear Photo LCD Plus Screen with AR coating and Clear

Processing for image review and function navigation

�Compatibility with Sony α-mount system lenses, including Sony G lens and Carl

Zeiss optics

�Bright Optical Viewfinder with Spherical Acute Matte screen, 20mm eye relief,

0.83x magnification, dioptre adjustment and EyeStart Autofocus.

�High-speed Autofocus with 4 focus modes: Single-shot AF; Direct Manual Focus;

AF Automatic; AF Continuous

�Ultra wide AF area with 9 local focus points and central cross-hair sensor

�Centre-weighted, Spot and 40-segment honeycomb pattern metering mode

�Depth of Field preview

�Mode Dial for one-touch selection of exposure shooting modes: AUTO; Programme;

Aperture Priority; Shutter Priority; Manual; plus 6 Scene Modes (Portrait,

Landscape, Macro, Night View, Sunset, Sports / Action)

�White Balance adjustment: AWB and 6 preset WB modes with manual colour

correction, Colour temperature manual selection with additional 19-step

magenta/green compensation, Custom setting

�High Speed Continuous Advance Shooting up to 3 fps

�Burst shooting: JPEG unlimited, 6 frames RAW, 3 frames RAW+JPEG (dependent on

memory card speed)

�Advanced flash modes as high synchronization speed, rear flash, wireless

functions and slow synch direct button access on camera

�Ambiance and flash separate exposure compensation scales

�1600 mAh Lithium ion battery with STAMINA technology for up to 750 shots from

single charge (CIPA measurement, 50% usage of built-in flash)

�Built-in Flash plus support for multiple flash modes (Wireless, Slow Synchro,

Rear Synchro)

�Dimensions: 94.7 x 133.1 x 71.3 mm (L x W x D)

�Weight: 545g (without battery)

�CF media slot compatible with Type I/II (MicroDrive) media; supplied

MemoryStick DUO adapter

�Supplied image editing software: (1) Image Data Converter SR Ver.1.1 (2)

Picture Motion Browser

Sony has said there will be an announcement next week.

chad

I've been looking at some of the other photo sites trying to get more info on the Sony Alpha 100, and I came across an interesting post on dpreview.com. About a week ago, some specs for the Alpha 100 was posted on that website. Interesting enough, the post was under 'KM North Sea'. I believe KM North Sea is the same person who posted on this forum as 'KM Sea', and who is believed to be Eugene Cunningham. As some posters know Eugene Cunningham was chased from this forum by posters that didn't believe his posts. And KM Sea seems to post at the other site as 'Photowizard'.

Looking back at Eugene's predictions on this forum, he said that one of the new DSLRs would be a replacement for the 7D, which the Alpha 100 would appear to be. He also predicted that the other DSLR would be a full-size sensor professional DSLR. I'll be interested to see if this is true.

Perhaps, IF it does happen, the posters on this forum who chastized Eugene Cunningham will realize that they made a mistake. But, who knows, perhaps Eugene is already posting on this forum under another name.

In the end what does it matter. Speculation has been floating around, and from what I believe why would anyone bother to chase anyone away.

We all know Sony was going to bring out a DSLR, and most thought it to be entry level and semi-pro. With the hope of a pro model as well.

Everyone has had their say, so we all wait and see what happens.

In the end what does it matter. Speculation has been floating around, and from what I believe why would anyone bother to chase anyone away.

We all know Sony was going to bring out a DSLR, and most thought it to be entry level and semi-pro. With the hope of a pro model as well.

Everyone has had their say, so we all wait and see what happens.

So with all the gossip floating around, someone who posts saying they know the answer before anyone else was always going to be picked on. Especially when Sony had said nothing.

Do I have to see this Sony Alpha 100 as the entry-level or the semi-pro level camera that Sony is going to produce?

Looking at the viewfinder magnification, the weight and the dial for portrait/landscape/etc. I would say it's an entry-level body.

I am happy with the CF media slot. Saves a lot of mony for the owners of the 5D/7D. I also hope that the Alpha 100 is compatible with the 5600 D flash unit.

If it's only 2 days to go what are we gonna speculate about after ? ;-)Thank God for the world cup hehe.

Still would like a pro-spec camera full-frame and 16MP. That would make all the lenses I've bought a sound investment.Seriously getting itchy feet if it doesn't happen soon.

Jimmy, what Eugene Cunningham posted, was about a year ago. Therefore, it would give credence to him being someone with insider contact. He, as well as his other IDs, on this and at other forums, were chased away by people who ridiculed his information. In his last post on this forum, he seemed to know that Konica/Minolta would drop out of the photo business several months before it was announced. He also said that the second DSLR body KM/Sony will release would have a full-sized sensor. I, for one, will be interested to see if this is turns out to be ture. Perhaps then some posters on this will apologize for having chasing him away.

One of the few press releases from Sony on all this said that ( presumably for the present at least ) they would concentrate on "relatively inexpensive" dSLR cameras - so it would appear that they are being consistent.

The 6th.June is remebered by many as being D-Day - perhaps now it will for some be A-Day.

Amongst all the previous speculation.......... oh heck forget it - too much like raking over old rubbish.

It is hard to say whether the Alpha 100 replaces the 5D or 7D, as the specs seems to be somewhere in-between the two, and better than both in a whole lot of areas. There has been no talk of the fastest shutter speed, nor what if any vertical grip is, or will, be available. And if there is no vertical grip, does that mean that it is less a camera than the 7D? Unless some execs at Konica/Minolta comes forward with some info, I guess we'll never know for sure. Any speculation by anyone, will be just that, speculation. We should enjoy the Sony Alpha 100 and compare it to the competition, rather than the former products of Konica/Minolta.

This is a D70 killer all the way. I would also say that any camera with scene programs is more inline with the 5D/D70/Digital Rebel market.

Zeiss optics, I am sure it will not be an adapter for existing lrndrd, as there are tons of different moutns. I would expect that there will be lenses with the Zeiss name on them made for the A mount.

chad

There's a list and pictures of the new lenses over at dpreview too. Some classics -like the 135 STF, and 35/1.4 G make a comeback, while favourites like a 28-75/2.8, 200/2.8 or the 100-300 zoom have not (yet) made the list. The images look a little photoshoped in some cases, but I think that the info is still legitimate. Also, there's two Zeiss lenses mentioned - the 85/1.4 Planar, and a very interesting 135/1.8 Sonnar. The jury is still out as to whether the second lens designation is a typo, or is for real (and represents a new Zeiss design).