Sony to offer over 20 lenses for A mount in first year

mark u

On the presumption that Sony probably doens't have it's own lens designers up to speed (or that they never paln to anyway), where do we look in other supplier's/designer's existing catalogs for the 20+ lenses?

Zeiss?

Minolta?

Tamron?

Cosina?

Sigma?

Samyang?

Other?

Combination?

And what makes a 20-lens catalog?

Super wide, Wide, normal, tele and super tele lenses?

Super fast, fast, normal, and slow lenses?

Primes and Zooms?

Motor-in-lens and non-motorized lenses?

As Minolta did, releasing their own versions of Tamron lenses toward the end, the reviewing audience was not wowed by Minolta's version, even though they were significantly different and had desirable qualities NOT in the Tamron versions. If Sony does the same with other supplier's existing or non-exclusive catalog, the knee-jerk reviews may be lack-luster in spite of this being a very exciting announcement in support of the Minotla Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum A-mount.

Ahh well, sit and wait. The gorilla is about to land.

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon peterblaise@yahoo.com

Konica Minolta Alpha Olympus Contax Yashica Pentax Canon Nikon Nikkor Vivitar Tamron Samyang Cosina Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Agfa Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer ... have I left anyone out? Oh, yes - Leica tripods! ;-) And what now, Sony, too?!? =8^o

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

Let's quote it:

==========

Sony Global - Digital SLR Cameras

http://www.sony.net/Products/dslr/interview1.html

"Description" = "Sony's new SLR digital camera"

"Keywords" = "Sony, SLR, DSLR, Digital Camera, Camera, Imaging, Cyber-shot, Lens, Carl Zeiss, Konica Minolta, Alpha, Dynax, Maxxum"

Headlining on the digital SLR camera stage

Over 20 new lenses to be introduced in the first year

Ever since Sony and Konica Minolta began collaborating on a joint digital SLR camera project in July 2005, I have seen many similarities in our corporate cultures. Sony is renowned for its unceasing exploration of new avenues, while Konica Minolta has a long history of developing groundbreaking technologies, like the world's first auto-focus SLR camera and an exclusive anti-shake system. Leveraging our similarities and benefiting from our differences, we now merge our efforts in a shared commitment to the development of digital SLR cameras.

We believe an SLR camera should be a part of a larger culture, encompassing the entire product line of lenses and accessories, and not just the camera body itself. To successfully create this culture, it's not enough to offer a body and two or three lens options, which is why, starting this summer, we will launch more than 20 new lens models over the course of a year. Combined with the over 16 million compatible lenses that have been sold to date, we are bringing our entire camera culture toward an ever-expanding future for our customers.

As the headliner of the digital SRL camera world

Our goal is to become the shin'uchi, or headline performer, of digital SLR cameras. In the traditional Japanese art of rakugo storytelling, the shin'uchi is the performer recognized by everyone as the undisputed master of his craft. Personally, I feel this applies to Sony in three ways.

Firstly, although Sony is a newcomer to the field of SLR cameras, we are determined to win the trust and respect of users everywhere. This dedication will set us apart as one of the premier SLR camera makers.

Second, we consider it of utmost importance to show the same respect for the traditions of the SLR camera culture as is shown for traditional arts like rakugo. This means making no compromises in delivering the high level of performance customers have come to expect.

Finally, much as how the shin'uchi, the most artistically skilled and technically proficient of the performers, makes his appearance at the end of the show, we are entering the SLR camera stage later than other makers. This presents us with an ambitious target to shoot for, but we will demonstrate to our customers that it is a position we are worthy of.

Committed to the long-term development of the SLR camera culture

Entering the SLR camera market entails a long-term commitment to customers, and my resolve here is unwavering. While camera bodies may change in style or features with the passage of time, lenses are lasting assets. Our division is fully committed to expanding and developing our range of lenses and accessories. Moreover, throughout Sony we are fostering a new generation of SLR camera enthusiasts who are eager to further improve on our success.

The name [alpha] communicates a host of meanings. As the first letter of the Greek alphabet, it represents the highest level of quality, as well as a new beginning. This is precisely what [alpha] means to us, and what we hope it will mean to you.

This summer will see the global launch of [alpha], Sony's new digital SLR camera. I trust you are looking forward to it as much as I am.

Toru Katsumoto -

Senior General Manager -

AMC Division -

Digital Imaging Business Group -

Sony Corporation -

Toru Katsumoto was in electronic design with the Handycam division for over ten years, having worked on Sony�s first model, the 8mm CCD-V8. Later, he was involved in developing Sony�s digital broadcast receiver system for use with SKY PerfecTV! and others. After a stay in England he returned to Japan, where he joined the Cocoon channel server and Cyber-shot divisions before taking up his current position.

==========

PS - Who wants to count the lenses offered by each of Sony's "partners" - Zeiss, Tamron and now Minolta?

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta alpha Photographer http://www.geocities.com/minolta507si600si650si/ ;-)

Gee, sounds a lot like rebadged Minolta lenses with a Sony name? And it sounds like in the

future all the Minolta/Sony AF/digital camera users will be asked, "Gee, is that a Sony lens on

your camera or an older Minolta one?" The comparisons will begin, Minolta versus Sony

lenses. Good luck folks.

Seeing how Sony is the second largest shareholder of Tamron, the likely manufacturer of the (majority of the) Sony lenses will be Tamron. Why would Sony buy a large percentage of Tamron and not use them? After all part of the profits Tamron makes will go into Sony's pocket. The other manufacturer would be KM, which will probably continue to make the 'G' series lenses under the Sony Alpha name. I doubt that you'll be seeing any other lens manufacturer making lenses for Sony, under the Sony name. To me, the question is how many of the lenses will be new, as opposed to being re-badged KM lenses.

"Ever since Sony and Konica Minolta began collaborating on a joint digital SLR camera project in July 2005, I have seen many similarities in our corporate cultures. Sony is renowned for its unceasing exploration of new avenues, while Konica Minolta has a long history of developing groundbreaking technologies, like the world's first auto-focus SLR camera and an exclusive anti-shake system. Leveraging our similarities and benefiting from our differences, we now merge our efforts in a shared commitment to the development of digital SLR cameras."

The above quote from the head of Sony's AMC Division, Toru Katsumoto, should lay to rest any doubt that KM will continue to have a hand in the production of Sony's DSLR. KM will build the cameras as an OEM supplier to Sony.

To my mind the good part is that this is a statement of intention - "we will" - and not an ambition as with the "20-25% share of the market".

Does it really matter who makes them as long as they are good ? Hard to think that Sony will come forward with 20 piles of junk but of course would prefer it to be Minolta - but that is probably an ingrained prejudice.

It is even likely to be good news for those who still want to buy the traditional Minolta lenses on fleabay or wherever.

I'm still very happy with m 7D and really there is no problems with it. I'm glad I didn't run because having a camera system you are familiar with is very important. The main hope I have involving the new Sony DSLR is the camera layout. I'm really hoping they keep some of the functions we are used to and considering it was one of Minolta's strong points lets hope they do. I used a Canon 5D the other day for a few shots and even although the results were nice I didn't like the menu system. I see the Sony R1 in the shops all the time and I really hate the design and layout, it looks more like a video camera so they better not make it look like that. The 7D is a photographers camera and I hope it stays that way for our sake. As for lenses, if they are sharp and quick focusing with good build quality then that is all we would need no matter who makes them.

While the 20 lens part is interesting, the balance of the interview should lead to more "speculation." Obviously there is positioning for more than just entry level users and there is an aim at traditional quality as well. Even if only rebadging other existing lenses, KM or Tamron (and 12% is not 50% + 1), a 20 lens line-up with the rest of the interview would suggest more than one camera in the line up as well. Rank beginners don't need 20 lenses so I think there could easily be 3 levels of interest. Entry level and price is the thing, mid-level needing good performance and still able to accomodate and accept reasonable trade-offs, and then the gotta hav it's with cameras that squeeze the last little bit out of G or super G lenses. Now how and when you bring on the cameras is a marketing gamble. But the gamble is reduced if you at least discuss the other members of the family.

Who makes the lenses is not important to me, as long as they maintain a level of performance that is to be expected from a Sony and from the price charged for the lens. Also, I hope that Sony settles on a more uniform appearance than KM did, especially towards the end. Nikon lens have a 'look' that easily identifies it as a Nikon. The finish has that Nikon look. Same with Canon.

I suspect that a large part of the reason for the Press Release was to keep interest going. The 20 lens announcement was surrounded by a great deal of blurb/PR speak which one has to expect in this day and age. It does indeed raise almost as many questions as it gives answers but this could very easily be deliberate - debate is stimulated and free advertising results.

It will be interesting indeed to see where these lenses in fact come from. Mention has been made of the Sony investment in Tamron which is only about 11% but they are the second largest individual investor. Have not seen a great deal about Tamron glass on Sony digitals but have seen a lot of Carl Zeiss stuff so what kind of link up is there with them that will have to be considered ?

Let us not be too parochial about this - it is good for the camera business and for consumers as it could well herald a challenge to the Canikon duopoly !

To me this is something too good to be true. Let us wait and see, to find out wether these new lenses have really good optical quality, silent in lens motor, fast and acurrate focusing and if there is any, water and dust seal

From

http://www.f2photo.co.uk/news/view.php?id=102

3rd May 2006

Paul Genge (ex Konica Minolta UK) joins Sony DSLR division

Sony United Kingdom Ltd is pleased to announce the arrival of Paul Genge from Konica Minolta.

Having previously spent 7 years at Konica Minolta Photo Imaging (UK) Limited, working as Product Manager Paul has a wealth of experience in the Digital Imaging market. Paul will work closely with the Sony Digital Imaging team lead by Shaun Dorrington on current and future developments in this area.

モSony develops leading digital imaging technologies appealing to photographers who desire the increased performance of Digital SLR systems, I am pleased to join Sony at this exciting time and assist in the challenge of establishing Sony at the forefront of Digital SLR photographyヤ - Paul Genge.

============

I hope there's more news around the world on former Minolta photo people being brought on to continue supporting us Minolta enthusiasts.

Anyone else have any news?

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Alpha Photographer htt://www.peterblaisephotography.com/<div>00GMhA-29897684.jpg.1980ae6de47c122c7e1c0bcbd43ca938.jpg</div>

From

http://www.f2photo.co.uk/search.php

... register and sign in first, then scroll to:

15th Apr 2006

Konica Minolta (aka Tamron) 11-18, 18-200mm test

This is an article on various lenses for the Dynax system, mainly the 18-200mm and 11-18mm. Since these designs are very similar to Tamron models for all major fittings, the comments are relevant outside the KM context.

1.85 MB

http://www.f2photo.co.uk/articles/view.php?id=109

... which has a nice review with samples and a tech-box pull out that reads (I am NOT quoting the whole article not copying the pictures - subscribe to f2Freelance+digital at

http://www.iconpublications.com/index.html

and their other wonderful photo magazines yourself to read 'em, this is a partial editorial quote for your reference and information:

=====================

The Tamron connection

ヨ by David Kilpatrick

It is well known that some Konica Minolta lenses closely resemble

Tamron models. At photokina 2004 it was easy enough to compare

the new Konica Minolta 17-35mm テ2.8-4 (D) and 28-75mm テ2.8 (D)

with Tamron equivalents, though any connection was not confirmed by

either company. And it is not a matter of ムmade by Tamronメ ヨ my 28-75mm is labelled ムChinaメ, where Konica Minolta have lens making facilities.

Since then, I have had the opportunity to use all the Konica Minolta

digital lenses, and all the Tamron equivalents. At the clubメs Edinburgh meeting in February I was able to pass the Tamron 11-18mm and Konica Minolta 11-18mm to members to study. I bought a Tamron 11-18mm before the Konica Minolta version was available, and Iメm very happy with its image quality. But the Konica Minolta lens has a smoother, lower resistance, quieter focusing action and better-damped zoom ring.

Some Tamron models are sufficiently different internally to need

upgrading for use with the Dynax 5D, and Tamron issues this warning:

モTake caution when using models A061 (AF28-300mm Di), A09 (SP AF28-75mm Di), A05 (SP AF17-35mm Di) and A08 (SP AF200-500mm Di) with the Konica Minolta Dynax 5D.

モTurning the camera power back on while the compact flash access lamp is still lit leads to a malfunction of the AF (auto focus) mechanism of the camera. Make sure the access lamp is not lit when turning the camera power on. In order to prevent this malfunction (ex. AF coupler running idle), turn the camera power off and turn it back on after the access lamp is no longer lit.ヤ

These lenses can be upgraded free of charge to remove the problem ヨ

call Intro2020, their UK distributor, service department on 01628 799902.

=============================

I think there's more to it than mere rebranding of existing lenses - Minolta obviously did more than that with the current crop of Tamron-supplied or Tamron-co-designed Minolta lenses. There's a similar potential for Sony releases if they choose from existing catalogs of lenses, but under the Sony "new" issue, they may then contain required improvments in various qualities to warrant "new" reviews. Otherwise, Sony's "new" lenses will be greeted with with "we've already seen these under the Tamron et cetera nameplate, there's nothing new here, ho hum." If Sony is reading this and other sources such as f2 magazine above, good for them and I hope they are forwarned or do not need to be forwarned.

I also hope someone else from former Minolta photo group is announced as being welcome into the Sony fold to keep the "Minolta" in "Alpha".

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Alpha Photographer http://www.peterblaisephotogrpahy.com/<div>00GMi5-29898084.jpg.773ef81bc24a347312ae21f4099f0030.jpg</div>

I'm happy with the announcements, somewhere past thrilled but not quite ecstatic. (Or perhaps a bit hyperbolic.)

I liked what I read. I'm not selling everything June 7th if they aren't designer coordinated. I don't care if all Nikons look alike or that Canon's white lenses look like their black ones. I'm not selling everything June 7th if they aren't all sealed for dust and moisture but then, neither are my cameras. I'm not selling everything June 7th if they aren't all Carl Zeiss glass, labels, or even perfume. I'm not selling everything June 7th if some of them share a passing resemblance to Tamron products or even old Minolta products. (Or aren't all "G" quality and price, or all SSM,or are or aren't so steeped in tradition that they can perform the tea ceremony without a firmware upgrade, etc.)

Sony has been releasing information at a veritable flood rate compared to what we'd had from KM for quite a while. Sony has had some very advanced and competent digicams and has competed against all the other digimakers and done very well. Even with cameras that didn't meet the esthetic guidelines established by the the "It Doesn't Look Like a Camera So I won't Buy or Use It Association." Has Sony got some flaws? Sure. Fortunately there are alternatives for the "A" mount user. They can go get cameras from

Oh, I guess we can't. Sony's it. Unless, of course you are Bill Gates and want to buy the business and sell Microsoft "Maxxum Compatible" cameras.