new battery with SRT101? dont want to pay to recalibrate?

pineappaloupe

I cant believe it took me so long to figure this out, mostly because

it was the only camera i had access to, and no thanks to some

misleading information from a local camera shop. The camera shop told

me to 'double the ASA of the film you are using'

that is NOT correct. Half it. So if you are shooting ISO 100, set the

camera to ISO 50. I checked it using my fixed up canon t90 on the

regular metering mode, on a sunny day using the light reflected off my

gray deck. both cameras had a 50mm lense that was in good condition.

hope it helps. i still love my srt101, mainly becuase of the compart

zoom lenses from minolta.

If you really want to use cameras that had the PX625 mercury batteries for the meter, you can use an adapter. That's what I do with my old Canon F1. I bought a C.R.I.S adapter and the exposure is spot on now. This adapter lowers the 1.55 volts of a smaller silver-oxyde battery to the required 1.35 volts of the old mercury batteries.

If you really want to continue using your camera, it's a good buy.

Hi, would that voltage adapter you mention work in a Gossen light meter (the Lunasix

kind)? I have just yesterday got some batteries of the PX625 size but they are 1.55v.

I figured I could work out the difference and just compensate for it, but your mention of

different response curve makes me wonder.

Do you know a link where I can learn a little more about that adapter?

grateful for any advice.

R

I just pick up zinc air hearing aid battieres and they work perfect. The ones I bought do not fit perfect, I pack paper around the side to make it contact in my autocord it meters perfect. They do not last more than 2-3 months weather used or not once out of the pack but are really cheap and work great.

http://www.criscam.com/

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

A trip to the hardware store to pick up a rubber o-ring 5/8 inch outer diameter X 7/16 inch inner diameter X 3/32 inch thickness. Slip this around a 675/44/76 sized battery and it will fit in the battery compartment without sliding around.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050204171750/home.pcisys.net/~rlsnpjs/minolta/mercury.html

If you are shooting print film versus slide I would not even worry about. The wide latitude of the film will make up for the slightly off metering if you use a akaline battery. To be truthful, I have and shoot two SRTs. One was recalibrated by Garry's Camera as part of a $50 dollar CLA and the other has not. I shoot Velvia through mine and with my normal 1/2 bracketing I always do when shooting slide I get accurate images. In most situation I've found I can rely on the meter versus double checking with my Gossen Lightmeter.<div>00GEzy-29704884.jpg.c2a1e9b8f2026d90ec6d557f06f038b1.jpg</div>