5D or 7D?

songyang_chen

I know this question has been asked many times, but it's really a

tough call for me. At the begining, I debated between pentax istDL and

5D. After I decided to get 5D from Riz for $650(including 18-70 lens),

I found 7D + 28-75mm/f2.8 lens from Adorama for $949. Can the $300

difference be justifieed? I tried both 5D and 7D before and have no

preference, I like both of them. I mainly shot candids and street.

Another option: 7D ($779) plus used 24-85($120). Any inputs?

Thanks.

You wrote:

> After I decided to get 5D from Riz for $650(including 18-70 lens),

> I found 7D + 28-75mm/f2.8 lens from Adorama for $949. Can the $300

> difference be justifieed?

That difference can nearly be justified in the lens alone ! The 18-70 is sometimes available new from cameta.com on ebay for $99 (packaged for kit sales, but who cares ?) while the 28-75 goes for $350-ish ... Adorama had a bargain sale for $199 that lasted less than 24 hours, so that doesn't really count. Used, there's about a $200 difference between the lenses.

Assuming you'd actually enjoy the 28-75/2.8 (most would, but maybe you'd prefer a different lineup), then the 7D kit sounds like the better bargain. You know the specs; if the 7D & the 28-75 appeal to you, the price difference is well worth it.

- Dennis

Agree with the poster above. The 28-75 f2.8 is the best lens you can get for that kind of money.<BR>

The 5D vs 7D is personal preference, but the 7D does have a few more features that you may or may not use. The biggest difference to me is the viewfinder and the viewing screen. That tips it toward the 7D for me, unless you're looking for small size...

The reason I have chosen 5D was that 7D had lots of production issues. Had to be sent back to minolta for flash calibration etc. etc. I'm not sure they are fixed in the later models though.

My 5D is very stable(so far), and small which I prefer. I know what a good vewfinder means as I have dynax 7 film body but again still happy to have bought the 5D body not the expensive 7D.

Choice is yours of course.

I opted for the 5D as the additional cost for what I was getting just wasn't worth it. I don't have huge hands, and find that the 5D sits just nicely without feeling too big. The 7D isn't all the much bigger, but just didn't feel as comfortable.

If I was to stick my Sigma 28-70 Ex on both, I am pretty sure you would be hard pushed to tell any difference at all.

Build-wise, the 7D does feel a little better, but I have had my 5D now for 9 months and have never had one issue with it - and I use it a lot.