If one was to buy a nice zoom, would this Series 1 do the trick?

cenelsonfoto

I had this lens several years ago. It produced a quite unique look with nice contrast and really nice colours - I never found out why, but the pictures with this lens looked really different. On the other hand, it is not very sharp (not great for enlargements), it is not a real zoom (focus, except at infinity, changes with zooming), and I found it to be very prone to flare in shots against the light. In general, you will be better off with a Minolta 28-85.

Regards

Georg

Actually, you might have had a mid to late 80s build which were not as good as earlier models. This one is Komine-manu'd and the sample images reflect great sharpness. See, it's my lens, and I wish to sell, so I'm being a bit sneaky with this thread. Feel I must defend it against the false claims, however. I'm not arguing that many of these Series 1 units were not up to par, but everything points to Vivitar using lower-quality manufacturers later on. I've read nothing but good remarks regarding early units.

Hell, I don't I want to sell it now.

:)

I had a sample of this lens for some years and found mine to be surprisingly sharp - easily on par with my Minolta MD 28-85mm 3.5-4.5. With a maximum aperture of 2.8-3.5 the Vivitar is slightly faster, which can be a plus. It's only drawbacks are comparatively large size and weight, which make it somewhat less suitable as an alround and travel lens. It also has an unusually large filter thread for a midrange zoom of 67mm. If size and weigth are not an issue for you, I think it would be a great choice.

Well, I just looked at some test shots I did with the vivitar on a canon rebel (nikon MF mount) and no doubt it's a nice lens. Wide open it's a tad soft (not unexpected for a fast zoom) with a very nice "old-tyme" glow about it. At f5.6 it's nicely sharp with good solid contrast. Also, the vivitar is mechanically excellent with smooth operation and is very solid feeling. I use the minolta AF 28-85 on my 7d (I assume it's the same optically as the MD version) and IMHO for comparison the 28-85 is sharper and has much stronger contrast/colors so it depends on what look you want.

Craig,

I had one in OM mount that came with along with an entire kit.

It was pretty sharp but the aperture was constantly sticking. The lens wasn't worth repairing and the front element now gets used as a loupe.

If I recall, it's actually a varifocal and not a true zoom. If the price is right and it's in good condition you could do a lot worse.

Rich

Probably a bit late for another response, however, this may assist someone else in the future. I still use a Vivitar Series 1, in fact, two of them (28-90mm also), with outstanding results. My serial numbers indicate that my lens was made by Kiron for Vivitar. As mentioned, a little soft wide open, but that works with my taste. Excellent in the mid range apertures. Dollar for dollar still one of best for the average user IMHO.