Quality of manual focus lenses

manuel_odabashian

the 35mm 1.8 is a top class lens which stopped down to f2.8 is almost the equal of the legendary 35 f2 AF Minolta. The 100 f2.5 is a lovely compact 100 (much smaller than 100mm macros). I've only had mine a few weeks and haven't got around to formally testing it, but the shots I've got back on it are excellent. Both brilliant lenses for the money (or any money for that matter)

I recently got on the most famous auction site an MC 35/1.8 for 90 � and an 100/2.5 � for 82, both are in like new condition

They are the 2nd generation MC with rubberized focusing ring, all metal construction

No serious tests until now, but the first photos I took (some in my gallery) are very satisfying, I am in love with such series of lenses which are excellent quality, close to Leicas.

I have also got: 24/2,8 - 28/2 - 50/1,4 - 58/1,2 , all of the same series, it is a real pleasure to go around and take photos with such big aperture lenses mounted on fine bodies like XE-1, XD-11 and SRT.

I find that the better vision speed lenses give, make your composition and pre-visualization more easy

I used both of these lenses earlier today. The 35/1.8 MC is a very nice lens. My only complaint is that it is prone to getting oil on the aperture blades. The last 38/1.8 MD is a newer design ans is much more compact. I haven't used it but it is, by alla ccounts, an excellent lens. It will cost a lot more than an older MC or MD.

If cost is an issue you can consider the Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 Fixed Mount, which is very nice, or the 35mm f/2 Soligor C/D. The Soligor lens is more heavily built but is shorter.

The 100mm f/2.5 MC lens is my favorite Minolta lens. It is quite sharp even wide open. It focuses to 4 feet and this may make it less suitable for portraits of small children. The early MD lenses also focused to only 4 feet. The later MD went to 3 feet. For this reason I might like to find one. For now if I have to get closer I use a 90mm f/2.5 macro lens.

Bob, lenses are "prone" to oil migrating to the iris blades due to the specification of the original lubricant used in manufacture, storage conditions and even abbient temperatures during use. It usually only becomes apparant after many years. There is no "routine" service spec. to prevent this, and I have not heard of it happening with an AF lens.

Bob

The aperture mechanism of the lenses was completely redesigned when the MD series was introduced in order to ensure that the aperture cloesed down in a predictable time for the shutter priority mode of the XD series to work properly. As part of the redesign both the mechanics and the lubricants used were altered

The issue with oil on aperture blades can be eliminated by storing the lens with the front end down, hence the oil (if it is likely to move) will move away from the blades. I note that this is NOT a common problem as far as I have seen.

With respect to the later MD lenses the 35mm f/1.8 is a great lens, but is not as sharp as the smaller f/2.8 version (refer my site www.rokkorfiles.com in the lenses section). If you need the extra speed, go for it - it makes a very flexible exent lens or for interiors etc.

The 100mm f/2.5 is very similar in size to the 85mm f/2, and while I never tested it formally I have taken some shots with it which were very nice. I believe its performance would be very similar to that of the 85mm, and I would have no hesitation recommending it.

Best regards,

Antony Hands