Will Hasselblad have an autofocus model?

robert_c_harvey

Dear Medium formaters,

Now with Contax, mamiya, and Pentax auto focus 645 models, will

Hasselblad be "forced " into producing their own? The competition is

heating up, will they make a completely new model, or try and do a

6x6 version for some system compatability ? Don't get me wrong I love

my 503cx, and can still line up a split image ranger!

Sincerely

Robert C. Harvey

I don't know the answer. I bought into the Contax over the Rollei mainly because it was AF. If Rollei comes out with autofocus I might switch. I love the Contax, don't get me wrong, but I think I prefer the square format negative. I got used to the format using Rolleiflex TLR cameras. The Contax is one fine piece of machinery though. And it's very convenient to have 32 exposures on a roll of 220.

If you have all the time in the world to focus, AF won't be that useful unless you happen to have poor eye sight. In 35mm format, AF is a great help in sports photography and wildlife photography. In medium format, AF may be useful in some action type fashion photography but in general won't make as big a difference as it is in 35mm. Moreover, it'll be slower for a motor to move those larger medium-format lens elements around. It is not surprising that medium-format AF begins with the smaller and more mobile 645.

Robert, I bought the Contax and added a Hassy lens adaptor. That gives the Hassy lenses focus confirmation in the viewfinder. My manual focusing abilities are in decline. Of course, everything else is stop down so it is not an improvement in convenience.

It is an opportunity to continue with Hasselblad (my 2000FCM is now a back-up) and add new autofocus capabilities with a Plannar 80mm F2.0.

In financial terms, you can purchase a complete Contax kit with the F2.0 lens, etc. for approximately what the Hassy F2.0 Plannar 110 mm lens alone sells for new.

Frank

In all of my Hasselblad cameras I have "Acute-Matte D" screens with split field indicators. This is by far the best focusing screen type I have ever used in any of my cameras - bright, sharp, contrasty. It is our standard focusing screen in the Carl Zeiss lens application testing department.

Focusing with this screen and split field indicator is quick and easy, even with my declining eyesight. I experience no need for autofocus or even for electronic focus confirmation on anything I shoot with medium format. Admittedly, I don4t do sports, fashion, or photojournalism with medium format. I clearly leave that to 35 mm.

Therefore I would like to recommend to every Hasselblad user who is playing with autofocus in his mind: Try an Acute-Matte D with split-field indicator first. This rather inexpensive approach may be all it requires to solve your focusing problems.

Now that I re-read my above posting I want to add that it just represents my current personal feelings about autofocus in medium format, declining eyesight and related topics. It is in no way any comment or hint on any Hasselblad policy about autofocus in medium format. Hasselblad may be working on autofocus or maybe not. I have not information on this and my comment does not hint in any direction there.

If Hasselblad has any plans to add auto-focus into its 6x6 cameras, its primary lens manufacturer, namely Zeiss, should be aware of it because the lenses need to be changed. Therefore, based in the information above, we can conclude that Hasselblad has no plan to get into AF, unless, of course, Hasselblad is having another lens manufacturer build it future AF lenses. :-) [Just kidding; don't mean to start any rumors.]

Most professionals buy into Hasselblad for the same reasons certain folks stay with Leica. Solid workhorse gear that will hold up to some punishment. Believe me I am NOT thrilled with the new plastic Blad lenses that they don't call plastic, they call non-metalic (ho,ho,ho).However all else being equal, the stuff is really superb and if they do consider auto focus, you can bet that I and most folks can't afford it anyway, so I guess they'll use it on the space shuttle and we'll get to read about it on their website. I need my next $25,000 for a new family car not an auto-focus camera. Cheers!

Auto-focus no. However, I am (somewhat wildly) speculating that a meter-lens-coupled 500 series camera will come out soon. All this because of the article of Danny Gonzales in Robert Monaghan's (sp?) Medium format site and reading about a "top-secret" Hasselblad (looks like a 500 series camera, darkened so as not to show any details) prize to be given away by the UK magazine Practical Photography to its over-all contest winner.

<P>

I seriously (and understandably) doubt our contributors from Zeiss and Hasselblad would care to confirm nor deny anything about this matter though.

• 2 years later...