minoltaguy

I Just picked up my "New In Box" MD 28mm F/2.0 Yesterday. I managed

to find one for less than $200. I am ready to go shooting. I also

had to replace the light seals in my X-700 as I noticed it had began

leaking light in the last roll. I made my own seals and I think I'm

back in business.

I Figured I'd bring up the topic with this lens as there isn't much

Minolta activity. I also want opinions and such, on what is known as

one of the best Minolta lenses out there.

That's hard to say! For what purpose? For portraiture for example there's the awesome, and extremely rare 135/2, the more common 85/1.7 (both the MC or the MD version), or the 58/1.2. But the truth is there's a lot of excellent Rokkor lenses out there, it's quite hard to pick "the best".

For this 28mm focal length in Minolta MF, the last 10-in-9 MC 28/2 and first & second generation 10-in-9 MD 28/2's were different than your last generation 9-in-9 MD 28/2. So don't know if their 'reputation' carries over.

Always thought some contrast, and even acuity, was given up with these lenses having more elements, so went the other way and use the 7-in-7 28/2.8 and last 5-in-5 28/2.8. This last one is a tiny bit fuzzy at edges, but contrast is good. If you want to see what I mean, see Antony Hands' Rokkorfiles comparison of the 8-in-6 35/1.8 versus the 5-in-5 35/2.8: an example of giving up a stop to gain some acuity...

I suppose it's time for me to retort. As far as my statement of "one of the best" lenses, I was referring to the 28mm focal length only. I also have many other fine pieces of glass, some rokkors some not. I also decided to start this topic as I coudn't find much information on this lens. Hopefully we can shed some more light on this lens. From what I understand it shares the floating element of the 24 2.8 and another wide like a 20mm or somthing. from what I understand, these also were impressive lenses.

When I said "...I don't know if...", it was in the sense that I really did not know if the last 28/2 version was as sharp (and all) as the earlier versions. From my experience with the last 5-in-5 28/2.8 related to the earlier 7-in-7 28/2.8's, I do like its crispness and slightly deeper contrast. If Minolta redesigned the 28/2's to get rid of the earlier doublet, I'm guessing your last version might be a little crisper too.

There was a tendency in these last Minolta MD's to go for stand-alone elements, and where possible to decrease and simplify number of elements. I think Minolta was working towards a different 'look' from these last lenses. I have last versions MD in the 17/4 and 20/2.8 (and that 28/2.8), but no earlier 17 & 20 equivalents to compare these with.

Got this lens in the Rokkor MC W version, paid for it 80 euros on fleabay, it is like new and makes great shots

I'm in love with all my Rokkor wideangles (24/2.8, 28/2, 35/1.8), all together they form a great shooting set I'm proud of!<div>00FE2N-28124184.thumb.jpg.1f99f12f91d20c73691b4942b058f66f.jpg</div>