I recently bought a D5 and was quite happy with it. I took it with me

on a trip to Egypt and took 600+ stunning pictures. After returning

home, the camera hanged while I was taking a picture. I removed the

battery and then re-inserted it. The camera then displayed "Unable to

use card". I formatted the card but the same problem remains. I

placed the card onto another digital camera and it worked fine. I

placed another card onto the D5 and it also didn't work. Has anyone

encountered the same problem?

Does not sound like a problem with the card, since the issue occurs on two different cards.

I would maybe try re-installing the latest firmware again. I did read about this on another forum of the camera hanging then not able to read any cards. And a re-install of the firmware fixed it for another user.

No hard in giving it a try.

It could be a card problem. KM have only tested a couple of cards and there are issues with some makes that they have not tested.

Sandisk are amongst the 'OK' ones as are Lexar. I had the same problem with my 7D until I bought a Sandisk card - then all OK.

You can get details of the recommeded cards on the KM website. Sorry for the brevity of this answer - I'm in a great rush.

Douglas

Get the latest firmware from here

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_product_pages/Maxxum_7D?mDetail=Software

But that said, you tried two cards and had problems after the camera hung.

My second question is that if you have used those cards to take pics and transfered images many times, then it cannot be the card. Cause the problem should have been there from the start.

Make sure you read how to update the firmware. Also adds and fixed the following issues

1. Added the remote storage function which can be used in combination with the DiMAGE Transfer software.

2. Speeded up its access to a memory card. This improvement shortens the writing speed to the memory card and USB data transfer speed. *Effect varies depending on the memory card.

3. Added enlarged display function in both the histogram display and the index display in playback mode.

4. Added luminance limit display function in the histogram display in instant playback.

5. Modified the "No memory card" warning indication.

6. Modified the following problems: - External flash fires with its full power in rare cases. - Camera freezes after self-timer recording in rare cases.

Do NOT install the 7D firmware on the 5D. It probably won't work anyway, but it's better to not even try.

<p>

KM recommends Sandisk and Lexar cards. There have been reports of problems with other cards.

<p>

I've also heard of one case where one of the pins in the CF slot of the camera was pulled out with the card, and a repair was necessary.

Jimmy Smith said "My second question is that if you have used those cards to take pics and transfered images many times, then it cannot be the card. Cause the problem should have been there from the start."

I'm afraid that's not true. As I said in my original post I had the same problem with my 7D. Because of lack of time then I did not describe the full problem.

I was using a 'cheap' 1GB CF card and the first number of times I used it all was fine. One day I tried to put more files onto it than I had done before - in other words fill it up to a greater extent. It was then that the problems began. The camera hung, I couldn't transfer files to my computer and I was in trouble. In short the cheap card seemed fine until I broke some sort of 'barrier' and then it gave problems.

Therefore, based on my experience, it is not necessarily the case that a card will give problems 'out of the box' unless you break the barrier that I mentioned.

I guess that Jimmy is right in some circumstances and I'm right in others.

I changed to a Sandisk 1GB card and have had no problems since.

I'd certainly explore the card route before messing about with firmware - especially firmware for the wrong camera :).

Do you have a friendly local camera/electronics shop that would let you try a different card - use a Lexar or Sandisk.

Good luck

Douglas

• 4 weeks later...
Just had an identical problem. It's hard to see but when I looked inside the card slot, one of the pins on the bottom row in the middle was bent. When you look at the memory card, you can see an impression where the pin has bent and gone into the wrong hole (painfull). Tried proding with a fine screw driver but dont want to void the warranty. Anyway it drives your eyes daft trying to look in to it.