Which body should I get?

phil_lopez

I've been using Minolta cameras since I started in photography.

A year ago, I bought a Maxxum 50. It's a cheap, decent camera but

after hundreds of rolls, I can't stand it. It's way too small for my

hand, there's noway to see your settings other from the LCD, I feel

like it's gonna break in my hands.

Now, I'm about to buy a 20D or a D70s but I'm still very active

shooting film, especially black and white. I need to upgrade my Maxxum

50 to something better and way more solid because I travel alot.

What should I get? I don't mind the price as I'll search for something

used. I spotted the 800si, would it be worth it?

Thanks in advance

Phil,

You need to look at a Maxxum 7. Also the 600si if you're not worried about AF speed as much. Well, in reality, any model above a Maxxum 5 would be an upgrade from your 50, so take your pick and look around for a good buy. I just happen to like the Maxxum 7 type interface, but the 800si and others are reputeably almost as good for probably about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a 7.<BR>

Jed

I would get a 7 and a 7D for film and digital combo if you already have an investment in Minolta glass why get another camera type. But if you do get the Canon D20 not the Nikon D70, the Canon is a much nicer camera to use.

PS I Use a Minolta 7 and 7D combo for digital and b&w its great not to have to carry different lenses or flashes Also the layout of the camera�s is very similar so you can jum from 1 to the other without to much thinking.

If you're buying a Canon or Nikon DSLR why not get a film camera from them too that you can use as a backup? The Nikon F90X is quite cheap these days and is a very solid camera. On the other hand, why not get the 7D, which is a great DSLR and then upgrade your film body to either the 7 or the 800si (never really liked the 600si, but that's just my opinion)?

i have the dynax 5 and while it's small and lightweight and feels a bit delicate, it's quite durable, since about 3 years never had any problems with it. And i don't keep it under my pillow. It was too small for me too but i've bought the battery pack and that helps alot.

800si's are great cameras, and going quite cheap nowadays - but remember, it's in fact a camera one generation older. Some say the autofocus is slower. Some complain about other missing features. Some praise it for its durability, its superior built-in flash, etcetera.

Minolta has pretty much dropped out of the film market. The used stuff is drying up also. KEH does not have much of anything left of the AF lenses. You stated either a Canon or Nikon Digital system is in the future. Decide that first and then buy a film camera to match that system. You can decide which film body based on your budget.

Phil, what kind of glass do you have for your Maxxum gear? If you have any decent lenses, try them on a Maxxum 7 film body and Maxxum 7D. I have one of each sitting here on the couch. I think you'll find that better laid out and as good as a Canon 20D & Elan 7ne quality wise; and better than a D70 & N80 in nearly every way. You won't regret that choice!<BR><BR>

Jed

"Now, I'm about to buy a 20D or a D70s but I'm still very active shooting film, especially black and white. I need to upgrade my Maxxum 50 to something better and way more solid because I travel alot."

Here's a no brainer answer for you.

Get a Canon or Nikon 35mm body. That way you only have to haul one set of lenses.

Alternatively you can get a Minolta 7D and go with one of the many fine recomendations that have been previously mentioned (600si, 800si, 7.)

• 3 weeks later...

<p>The Maxxum 7 film is a very good option to consider, since you have been using Minolta and could still use your current lenses. I got the Maxxum 5 Feb-2003 and it has enabled me to take great photos ever since. I've also learnt/grown a lot using it and then decided to get the Maxxum 7 (yes film) a couple of months ago. It is a full featured camera for amateurs as well as for professionals, and I believe it will enable you to grow a lot as a photographer.<br>

</p>

<p>You may find my post about Minolta cameras helpful:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Dk9L">Minolta 35mm SLR cameras are as better as those of Canon and Nikon</a></p>

<p>Check the site of Maxxum 7 photographer<a href="http://www.mhohner.de/index.php?lang=e">

Michael Honner</a>, which I found here in Photo.Net</p>

<p>Eventually you could also get the Maxxum 7D in case you decide to go digital. Good luck Phil.</p>

<p> </p>