Quality of the 24 and 28mm 2.8 AF lenses

philip_coleman1

It all depends on your needs. The 28/2,8 AF (MD is the same design) is not bad, and if you are used to the quality of a cheap zoom, you will see a clear improvement in quality. Contrast and color is good, but sharpness is not great, so this lens is not optimal for enlargements. In fact, almost all 28/2,8 have been relatively simple designs (mostly six elements), and were mainly intented as affordable lenses for amateurs when zooms started only at 35mm. The 28/2,0 AF is much sharper, but difficult to get. If you can wait, you might be able to find one relatively cheap, as these lenses often do not gain much interest (I bought mine as-new for 150 Euro, but that was pure luck).

The 24/2,8 is very good and will give you very brilliant pictures with good sharpness. Average price here in Europe is 150 Euro (on E*ay), which is defintively too cheap for such a good lens.

So, go for the 24AF, and add a 35/2,0 later. This will be all you need in the wide-angle field. Only opt for the 28/2,8 if you are on a really, really tight budget.

Regards

Georg

I bought a used 24mm 2.8 on ebay and I'll tell you, this is one of those purchases that you'll be glad you paid the extra money. My main concern prior to this was that on 'wide' zooms, I found the distortion to be unacceptable. The prime does a much better job of evening things out, but on top of that it's faster, sharper and just generally more pleasing.

As I see that you mention no Minolta name in your post, i dare to suggest you the sigma 24mm f/2.8 "superwide" as a cheaper alternative. I have found it of very good optical performance (although a bit noisy AF), and it has a "makro" feature. Not true macro, it goes only up to 1:4 i think, but still quite handy once in a while. Got it for 50 euro (with some luck).

Contrary to the other opinions I found that the 28/2.8 is sharper than the 24/2.8.I observed this in my slides but hard to see on the 7D.It doesn't matter too much,whatever works for you.To my surprize Photodo,the only place I trust in reviewing lenses score the 28 more than the 24.The score is second only to the Nikon 28mm/2.8 manual focus.