Any anti shake tests using long lenses?

Hey, let's hijack this thread with attacks on each other.

Earlier in this thread: "...Apparently, this connection [three generations of Minolta cameras offering an approach to automate avoiding capturing camera shake] is something that came from your mind, as it didn't come from Minolta's. Since you have so much time thinking up this type of BS, perhaps you should work for KM in their Public Relations dept., they need some help convincing the public that they should continue to buy their products... Once again, Peter, point me towards some official Konica/Minolta publication or website, where they make this connection. Otherwise, you're even more whacked then I used to believe you were.,.."

===============

Peter Blaise responds (sorry, Ron, excuse the side chatter):

Sorry you feel so enraged that someone can put 2 + 2 together WITHOUT official permission form Minolta marketing!

It makes perfect sense to me that ALL camera manufacturers who have been working on automating their product offering in an attempt to simplify their customer's experience have been working on many, many photography "problems", among which are auto exposure, auto focus, auto wind, auto flash control, and so on - they even tried auto zoom.

I have reported on Minolta's successful advances over the years in auto remedies for some causes of captured camera shake.

It makes perfect sense to me that in 1981, no one in Minolta thought of the future digital age where they'd move the sensor and call it AS Anti Shake.

It make perfect sense to me that they wouldn't call their 1981 and later efforts of raising the shutter speed curve in-camera automated computer programming to automatically counteract camera shake, well, I can see that they hadn't thought back then to call it AS Anti Shake.

Back then, they called it MPS Minolta Program System and "si" sophisticated intelligence, instead.

It makes perfect sense to me that no 1981 or 1995 brochure mentions "AS Anti Shake".

However, it also makes perfect sense to me that Minolta, and Canon, and Nikon and Sigma and others, have each addressed camera shake over the years using a variety of approaches.

Reverse-shaking lens elements were the main approaches.

Minolta seems first to release reverse shaking the sensor.

Regardless of the marketing nomenclature, all three Minolta releases -- Minolta X-700 MPS Minolta Program System, and Minolta "si" sophisticated intelligence, and Minolta AS Anti Shake -- address the SAME photographic problem -- CAMERA SHAKE.

Do you have an alternate theory why Minolta raised the shutter speed if possible to be inverse of the standard focal length in the "Minolta X-700 MPS Minolta Program System" series auto programming, if not to counteract camera shake?

Do you have an alternate theory why Minolta raised the shutter speed if possible to be inverse of the focal length in the "Minolta si sophisticated intelligence" series auto programming, if not to counteract camera shake?

Thank you for at least NOT responding with any contradiction to that technical fact of Minolta's intentions with each successive camera technology -- TO COUNTERACT CAMERA SHAKE.

At least we agree on what Minolta was doing, and doing well, with their offering in each of those cameras series.

Somewhere, deep down at the heart of this incredulity on your part, I see the nascent sparkle of true Minolta Photographer hungry to get out and join their fellow Minolta Photographers and celebrate their underdog status, and maybe even put some energy behind being underdogs no more.

It could happen!

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

PS - Minolta "officially" makes NO MENTION of many, many technical things, like the compatibility of SR/MC/MD/X-600 lenses, even denying the existence of the X-600 outside Japan, denying IR infrared recording in their DiMage series, and so on. The reason we are here is to ADD our personal experiences and insights to each other's resources, not limit ourselves to ONLY the official FAQs from Minolta.

Unless someone has chosen another road, and is acting as if they were some kind of "Minolta Police", searching for blasphemers from the official line, causing them to be damned and excommunicated? Say it isn't so! Say you've NOT gone over to the dark side! =8^o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter- The MPS on the X-700 was not aimed to be an early answer to Anti-Shake, it was for people like you, who couldn't figure out the needle-match system of the SRT101. It was for those people who read books like 'Photography for Dummies'. Prior to it's introduction, a photographer had to learn about 'Exposure Value', (EV), and decide if they would rather have more or less depth of field, or a faster or slower shutter speed. It was the beginning of AUTO EXPOSURE and not anti-shake. It was the forerunner of the point and shoot cameras, where there is no manual control, and not anti-shake.

If this is your idea of Anti-Shake, then you should give credit to whomever invented the shutter speed dial and the person who invented a shutter that had a speed higher than 1/100 of a second. Afterall, aren't these inventions important to ANTI-SHAKE?

Peter, you are totally clueless. Your post are a total waste of time and space.

<<'Of course, instead of using a slower shutter speed, you can also use a smaller aperture then you normally use.' Do you really think this is alright or are you just making fun of the question? >>

Dear Clinton - You still did not address this question of mine, you elegantly stepped over it like over a cow dump on the field. However your latest post about Peter's cluelessness and the shutter speed dial would indicate that you THINK you know something about these little details in photography. So how is it then - a slower shutter speed equivalent to smaller aperture???

LOL, stop now Clinton before you still can.

I'm not sure what lenses were used in the real-life experiences below, but I just reviewed the images and feel that ANYONE, certainly myself, would feel THRILLED to capture these images, so I think I can say that the Konica Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 7/5/Sweet Digital SYSTEM -- AS Anti Shake AND all other incredible design elements, features and benefits -- is one spankin' system!

I hope this story below helps balance the initial question with SYSTEM experiences. Ron, let us know if this helps you feel comfortable with the thought of using a KM DSLR.

Here from another Minolta Internet resource:

=============================

To: m..@y...c..

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005

Subject: [Minolta] 7D visits Himalayas (field report)

Some of you may remember my enquiries a while back regarding digital photography/storage and high altitude which I made here and some other places within the preparation for my Trip to Himalayas. The trip took place in the (whole) month of October and here I am to report back :) that is if anybody cares to read.

Well, yes we all know the 7D makes a great traveling companion. I already had a few chances to take it for a spin around the world visiting diverse environments from dusty excavation sites in Turkey, horse farms in the Blue Mountains/Australia or my journey across hot Cuba. In all these trips the camera performed well but this time around my trip combined all possible weather conditions, technical challenges and shooting scenarios: I went for a one month trip to Nepal, which included a 20 day Dhaulagiri circuit trek with the highest elevation point at the Tukce Peak - 6030m above the sea level (until somebody proves contrary I dare to claim the 7D earth-bound altitude record :). Though the Himalayan Mountains were the main target, this trip was so much more than just a mountaineering photo exercise. To me, Nepal as a whole was extremely photogenic from colorful and chaotic streets of Katmandu, to vibrantly green rice fields and the extraordinary faces of people that worked them; from Hindu temples in Patan to Buddhist monasteries high up in the mountains; from of the different faces of Dhaulagiri ridge at numerous base camps and the breathtaking sunrise in the Hidden Valley to marvelous panoramas at the Tukce Peak. I wanted to photograph it all and, naturally, decided to use my trusted Minolta gear. While I took with me also my film-based Dynax 7 I kept it primarily as a back-up body relying for 99% on the 7D.

As far as digital photography goes, this trip presented a 2 major technical challenges: the storage (hard disk-based storage cannot be used above 3000m due to the thin air); The second was the electric power or the lack of it (for more than 2 weeks out of juice with no chance of recharging). The storage was tackled by piling up 12 GB of CF cards (some of which might be for sale now). The power was delivered by 12 spare NP400 batteries (third party replacements) which were kept in my sleeping bag at night when at times the temperature dropped to [-?]25 C. Apart from the cold in the highs we went through a very warm (+30 C) phase as at the beginning of our trek as Nepal is close to the equator. Heavy rains and snow also soaked us later on. My 7D was exposed to all this abuse as I took it there for the purpose to take pictures not to keep it hidden :) Not once it stopped working. The [AS] anti shake worked great for cold night pictures as well as at places with high elevation where electronics such as hard disks crash and get damaged beyond repair. Ok I stop for now and get back to my editing and cataloging task (have a few thousands of RAW images to process and keyword, hence my other current interest about a good cataloging SW).

Anyway here is a small preview to illustrate my words

http://photocay.com/nepal/index.html

Greets,

R..

=============================

Ron, LOOK at those pictures and tell use if you're becoming confident of a KM DSLR doing the TOTAL job you want, AS Anti Shake AND all other things considered!

Click!

Love and hugs,

PS - I'll respond to other elements in this thread later -- especially the point about someone admitting to once owning a Minolta X-700 and then claiming Minolta only really intended the Minolta X-700 for dummies! Hahahahaha! ROTFLMAO =8^o World's best selling camera of it's type at the time ? a lot of "dummies" have apparently supported Minolta and felt supported by Minolta over the years. Hey, I still LOVE mine! ;-)

<div>00E7Sw-26404284.jpg.9e9de46c4b11e1cc339417bd1188670e.jpg</div>

csab- You're right, your question IS like a "cow dump on the field", it's full of cr@p.

As for my statement, it is correct when explaining what Anti-Shake will allow you to do. I never said they were equal. With the Anti-Shake on, you can either use a slower shutter speed and the camera sets a smaller aperture, or you can use a smaller aperture and the camera will set a slower shutter speed. Either way you'll get the same EV (exposure value). You might want to try a 5D or 7D, before you respond., and you'll see that I am correct.

csab, I guess you're one of those posters that cannot comprehend (understand) what you read. Perhaps a copy of 'Photography for Dummies' is a book you might want to read. I think peter has a copy.

peter- Where in my post did I state that "Minolta ONLY (emphasis mine) really intended the X-700 for dummies"??? You can stick as many words as you want in YOUR post, but don't stick them in mine. The Program mode of the X-700 made it easier for the person who didn't understand the concept of Exposure Value to take correctly exposed photos, by letting the camera make the decision of what exposure to shoot at. It allowed photographers who understood EV to have a very good camera, but also allowed amateurs, who wanted the flexibility a SLR gave to still take good pictures. It was the beginning of the Point & Shoot cameras. It allowed dummies like you to take good pictures.

Prior to the introduction of the X-700, a photographer had to adjust both shutter and aperture and keep the same EV, like the SRT101 did, or pick an aperture and let the camera set the shutter speed, or vice versa. Even this simple choice was too difficult to understand by many people and they stayed away from taking pictures with an SLR. With the X-700, this decision was no longer a barrier for people who wanted to take good pictures.

peter, you are like csab, in that you cannot comprehend what you read. Unlike csab, you are a bore who is in love with himself.

Peter, those are some really great results, thanks for posting the link.

Dear Clinton, thank you for your idea, that's indeed what i will do, i will borrow the book from Peter as soon as he finished reading through it. Can I shoot in the meantime some more slides with my 70 year old Rolleiflex, please?

Sorry, Ron, but the hijack goes on. Seen any good movies lately? Why not go out and see some more, and come back in a few days to see if the dust has settled here! =8^o

Earlier in this thread: "...[the Minolta X-700 MPS Minolta Program System] allowed dummies like you to take good pictures..."

Peter Blaise responds: Oh, where, oh where do I begin?

Should I start with, "What is a "good" picture?"

The definition of "good", especially concerning "photography"...

Or should I just leave it alone? ;-)

We all can look up easily accessible definitions using the Google [define:___] feature -- here's [define:good] http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=define%3Agood&btnG=Search and here's [define:picture] http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=define%3Apicture&btnG=Search - I fond BOTH interesting reads, very enlightening.

Perhaps some people see the mere presence of automation in our camera gear as necessarily defeating the photographer's skills.

But, perhaps there a complement in there somewhere, as the previous poster quoted above DID write that the user takes "good pictures", and that, after all, is at least SOME people's purpose in photography.

Okay, others of us may enjoy messing with the gear, and in that case, the specific photographic ("good picture") outcome is unimportant, just so long as the potential is there. We may all have been there at sometime -- having an expensive piece of high reputation gear, and then noticing in our photographic collection a keeper, a gem of a photograph -- that was taken with our least expensive, least well reputed gear?!?

Hey, my under ~$100US used 1971 Minolta HiMatic E rangefinder 35mm film cameras are perhaps my favorite "forgiving" cameras that have effortlessly (and silently) added true treasures to my photographic collection, and are probably the cameras I would grab first on the way out of my building during a fire alarm. Oh, and they're FULLY automatic exposure, flash included, except for focus and wind, by the way, and they even having the earliest implementation of what has become Minolta's current ADI Advanced Distance Flash integration. (Oh no-o-o-o-o, not another "Minolta NEVER said that!" retort in the making! SPARE US!)

More?

The 1971 Minolta HiMatic E also has the earliest implementation that I can find of Minolta's STF Smooth Trans Focus "good bokeh" effort as released in the 1998 Minolta 135mm f/2.8 STF [T:4.5] lens (Minolta's ONLY manual focus only A-mount lens, right?) and also the STF feature in the 2000 Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 7 35mm film camera -- reported as the worlds best camera of any type (after a few years of the 1998 Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 9 35mm film camera carrying that accolade).

How far afield should we take this?

Oh, yes, I have TWO copies of "Photography for Dummies" -- 1998 and 2004 releases. NOT my "bible", though, as my reference collection of photography resources dwarfs these two paperbacks.

BUT, I do have a FIND -- two copies of Kodak's undated "How to Make Good Pictures" one of which I'd be HAPPY to send one to a certain co-contributor here IF:

(a) He PROMISES to cease and desist ALL ad homonym attacks forevermore.

(b) Gives me his address so I can send the book to him.

© Promises to actually READ the book with an open mind and take notes.

(d) Promises to open as many threads here as necessary to discuss ONLY the positive useful points he finds in the book -- ALL of them (I have a second copy of the book, so I can tell!).

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peteblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotogrpahy.com/

PS - I'll explain the difference between the linear auto exposure control in the 1977 Minolta XD 35mm film cameras -- the world's first multi-mode auto exposure camera -- and the non-linear "program" auto exposure to address camera shake in the 1981 Minolta X-700 35mm film camera ... later! Gotta go earn some $$$!<div>00E86b-26416984.jpg.b01fcb89e466b8da0e43cddb0fa0aea5.jpg</div>

peter- Since you Googled the word 'good', you might want to Google the word 'complement'. I believe you meant to use the word 'compliment', which according to my encarta, means 'statement of praise', and would make more sense in the context in which it was used.

I'm sorry if this post, seems so petty and @n@l. It's just that when I hang out with posters like you, csab, and bill, I can't help but pick up some of your bad habits.

Speaking of bad habits, now about something ON TOPIC?!?

Here's another link to AS Anti Shake images on a KMADM7D Konica Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 7 Digital with long lenses:

To: M..@y...c..

Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005

Subject: [Minolta] Re: Minolta 100-400 APO

I have this with me for almost 6 months now and find it very nice for

the given zoom range. It is very good travel lens, especially for

birding (on 7D). Easy to handhold (especially with AS on) and produces

good results....

Here are a few snaps taken with this lens...

1. This one is purely a record snap....

http://rajandesai.com/images/birds/purple_rumped_sunbird.jpg

2. http://rajandesai.com/images/birds/killdeer_1.jpg

3. Again a record shots of a turkey vulture...

http://rajandesai.com/images/birds/turkey_vulture.jpg

4. Flight shot of a turkey vulture, handheld...

http://rajandesai.com/images/birds/turkey_vulture_flight.jpg

I was also considering Sigma 50-500 for that extra reach but decided

to go with this. I don't have first hand experience with 50-500 but I

think Minolta 100-400 is much sharper than the 50-500...

HTH...

-RD

Click!

Love and hugs,

Pete Blaise peteblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

OT Off Topic, and then wandering back on topic:

As a curtsey to others, I often use Microsoft Word 97 to pre-edit my posts here in order to make my spelling at least accurate even if the words are wrong (complement for compliment). I suppose MS Word also has a word count feature. Neat!

I also notice that some contributors "chat" with brief one-liners, and some contributors write article-length pieces, and there are many in-betweenies who write more or less. Neat!

Viva le difference!

I think there's room here for all of us.

... and there'd be even MORE room if we'd stop wasting space and energy complaining about each other, and if we'd simply use our own simple scroll-down arrow keys or our own delete keys instead of using all those complicated alphabet and punctuation keys to deal with posts that are not to our personal liking.

My goals here are (a) to learn all I can about photography, and I thank those fellow contributors here who have freely and openly shared their photographic experiences and (b) to help others learn by sharing my photographic experiences.

Disagreeing and arguing with someone else's experiences is futile. No one can convince another to change their experience. I own and use the cameras of which I speak and share my experiences of them. I respect other people's experiences even if they differ regarding the same cameras.

I also put two and two together and notice when someone "over here" asks a question or shares an experience, and someone "over there" seems to have a related inquiry or experience, and I share the related links -- I learned something form them, so I offer them to others.

When I find a correlation between the modern Minolta AS Anti Shake features and benefits and the "ancient" MPS Minolta Program System features and benefits, and notice that BOTH deal with trying to prevent hand-held camera-shake from being recorded, it makes absolutely NO SENSE to me that anyone would write back not only saying that Minolta NEVER SAID THAT, but also to argue that no such correlation could possibly exist!

FYI For Your Information, Minolta and others had auto exposure cameras long before the Minolta X-700. The Minolta X-700 was the first in Minolta's line to bend the auto exposure algorithm to avoid selecting a too slow shutter speed in an attempt to prevent recording camera shake. The earlier Minolta XD auto exposure camera did NOT have this feature.

Konica had the first 35mm auto focus, and Polaroid had the first SLR auto focus, and many others had fixed focus cameras that you could "point-and-shoot", so a true "point-and-shoot" camera happened long before the Minolta X-700, which still required focusing and winding and setting ISO manually, so it's never before been referred to as a "point-and-shoot" in my experience.

The 1981 Minolta X-700 was the world's best selling camera of it's type in it's day, and yet, Minolta felt there was more they could do. In 1985, Minolta released the Minolta AF 7000 auto focus camera which also had auto wind and rewind (auto DX? help me out here!), and it also became the world's best selling camera of it's kind in it's day. That was the third Minolta camera series in a row to accomplish that -- as the 1966 Minolta SR T series was also the world's best selling camera of it's type in it's day.

If no one cares about any of this, PLEASE just scroll down or delete.

If someone has alternate experiences or other insights to share, PLEASE share!

I LOVE this stuff and I find it informative of my next experiences, making my appreciation of my modern Minolta AND my ancient Minolta gear all the more complete.

What say you all?

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotogrpahy.com/

PS - I'll save you the effort - 652 words! ;-)

One more reference from another Minolta discussion group regarding AS:

======================

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minolta

Subject: [Minolta] Was Re: KM in trouble

Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005

> "... BTW does AS work with the long lens and a monopod? If the sensor measures angular acceleration, then why not? If it works with linear accelerations, the effect should degrade I think. How is it on your combo? ..."

Response: As far as I can tell, it does help most of the time.

Here is a little matrix that represents the way that I've come to use my 7D after a year:

Use -- Shutter below 1/f -- Shutter above 1/f

Handheld with all lenses -- AS On -- AS On (usually)

Solid tripod -- AS Off all cases except extreme wind

Solid tripod with mirror lockup -- AS OFF all cases except extreme wind

Monopod -- AS On -- AS On or off

Daytime sports no flash -- AS On all cases

Nighttime sports w/flash -- AS Off all cases

Aerial Photos - smooth air -- N/A -- AS On up to 1/500

Aerial Photos, rough air -- AS Off, shoot at 1/500 or more or attempt another day

Night aerial photos -- AS On, smooth air only or attempt another day

I have AS off if shooting aerials in rough air because the anti-shake doesn't seem to compensate the movement of the aircraft. I usually get better results with AS Off and taking many, many shots. I think you are right in that the AS is sensing angular motion, and as long as the motion is around the axis of the tripod mount, I think it would be okay. (I think that's what i mean).

==================

Peter Blaise responds: And, don't forget the SYSTEM approach where the Minolta fuzzy logic ALSO measures subject movement and camera movement, high and low frequency "vibration" movement in the auto focus sensors, and so in Program and AUTO modes, the camera will curve the shutter speed up to 1/lens-focal-length-setting if possible, so it's using MORE than just the AS Anti Shake sensors and shakers to help you avoid recording camera shake.

Quite a SYSTEM camera, eh?

Click!

Love and hugs,

PS - Come to think about it, my 1971 Minolta HiMatic E flashed a red LED in the viewfinder when the shutter speed dropped below safe hand-holding speed, so maybe that was an even earlier attempt by Minolta to address camera shake. They HAVE been at this for a l-o-n-g time! ;-)

[431 words, 276 NOT mine! ;-)]

peter- That 'one key' can be a shutter button if you go digital. It is possible with a digital camera to control the camera, even a Point & Shoot digital, with one key. I work with a company that does driver licenses and they control the digital camera used in taking the applicant photo through the computer. The operator just has to press the 'enter' key to capture the drivers signature, thrumb print, and photo. Isn't the digital world wonderful?

As to the rest of your post, don't ask me what it said, as it was too wordy, as usual. Have you ever thought that a less wordy post, may be more effective in conveying your thoughts, as more people won't fall asleep half way through it? I bet that if you had written "War and Peace", it would be even longer than it is now.

bill- Have you ever read one of peter's looooong winded posts in its entirety? Be honest now. Don't you find a third of the way through it, you start praying to god to end the torture? Don't you find your mind thinking, gads, this peter dude, is really in love with himself, especially the way he signs off?

As for reading long books, have you read a telephone book from cover to cover? It's full of useful information, something lacking in peter's posts, but that doesn't mean you're going to read it all.

For that matter, have you ever read a user's guide to a new digital camera in its entirety? Oh wait, what am I saying, you don't have a new digital camera, or anything new for that matter. Everything you own or USE was made back when Nixon was in office. Never Mind.

ANTI SHAKE!

ANTI SHAKE!

ANTI SHAKE WITH LONG LENSES!

EXPERIENCE WITH ANTI SHAKE WITH LONG LENSES!

ANYBODY?

ANYBODY?

HELLO?

ANYBODY HAVE AN ON-TOPIC POST?

Click!

Love and hugs,

PS - Of course, I mean ADDITIOANL on-topic posts, in addition to the responsive posts above with examples and links and background on Minolta's AS Anti Shake and their efforts over the years to prevent recording camera shake.

I think we all can rest assured that certain members are not here to learn or teach but to complain in pain. We do not need to feel or share the pain. "Ignore it and it will go away, maybe?" Let's stay on topic and really, really end the ad homonym attacks back and forth. I'm sorry to one and all for entering the fray; pardon my hope that humor might lighten the load. Ooops... My bad!

============================

How about calculating total investment in preventing recording camera shake in out photographic lifetime and seeing if a GYROSCOPE might not be a reasonable alternative -- works on ALL or cameras, and even addresses the on-board a moving plane problems quoted above!

http://www.ken-lab.com/html/applications.html

More: "... Knowing that camera movement destroys image sharpness but that profitable pictures are often made on the run, smart pros seek a compromise between tripod and handheld exposures. Countless portable supports exist, but even if a stationary object can be found on location, critical shots can be lost in the time needed to set up. Minimum clarity sometimes depends on use - a soft image being acceptable, say, for news but not evidence work - but when the maximum percentage of tack sharp handheld shots are needed the gyro stabilizer is in order

Enter the Kenyon Gyro Stabilizer, a small, battery-powered, pod-like case that screws into a tripod socket and "floats" the camera in free space with only it's weight supported by your hands. The device is maintenance free, works with any camera, spotting scope or binocular and, best of all, retains the freedom and speed of handheld shooting. The Kenyon system is neither a musing of some future technology nor a magic trick, but an intelligent application of basic physics..."

Compared to the price of ONE Canon long stabilized lens which will NOT help any other lenses or cameras ... ;-)<div>00E9kG-26448684.jpg.776ef2f286c0708cc4b8e00286559b35.jpg</div>