Canadians covered under US warranty?

ken_edwards3

I am disturbed by KM deserting Canadian photographers. However, I have

too much invested to switch and I love my 7D. I was planning on buying

a 5D body for my wife but am concerned that a warranty purchased in

the US will be void in Canada. Anybody know?

Thanks, Ken

K-M's departure from the Canadian market is unfortunate, but all they were providing in Canada was Warranty for products they had not marketed effectively (in Canada) for 15 years.

I expect Phototrader will take up Distribution, Warranty and Service. If they do, the 5D's a no brainer for me. Just got get the WAF (wife acceptance factor) up a couple of notches.

I am certain that any product bought in the US would only be warranted in the US. However, if you are close to the border, buy in the US and send it (if nescesscary) to Minolta USA for warranty/service. Too easy.

Hello,

I just purchased a Maxxum 7D online, from an Albertan retailer. Warranty should not be an issue as it was provided with an international warranty (not a Canadian one) so I could get it fixed almost anywhere. Besides, a quick visit to KM Canada's site (it is still open, although not updated) mentions that Zoomtron (established in Montreal and Mississauga) will handle warranty servicing. All in all, this is not that bad since I live in the Montreal area, meaning I won't have to pay cent to bring it to them if it ever needs servicing.

Here's the link to KM Canada's site, which basically explains the situation.

http://konicaminolta.ca/products/consumer/index.html

Cheers!

Patrick

Sorry to hi-jack but;

Patrick, who was the seller?

Two Canadian online retailers I have been following have remover K_M completely form their sites.

The local "chain" sold their last two 7D's in the past three weeks!!

If you don't mind, what was the cost like??

TIA

<p>I'm surprised so many people have never noticed that Minolta issue international warranties. I've bought Minolta stuff in the USA, UK and Hong Kong and I've never had an issue with a warranty not being valid here in Ireland. (Only a couple of weeks ago I phoned Minolta about a damaged lens still under warranty and when I mentioned that the lens in question was bought in HK, the Minolta guy interrupted and confirmed again that it didn't matter where the lens came from.)</p>

<p>I can't say the same for Canon - I wasn't impressed when I had to post the Canon digital compact camera I bought at B&H back to the US when it malfunctioned. (In fact, I was almost charged import duties again when the repaired camera was being posted back to me!)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
If you are close to the US/Canadian border...its a no brainer! Minolta will always provide service to Canadians. Dont forget they sell copiers, scanners, printers, etc in the Canadian market...they need to maintain those relationships.