KM closing down in CANADA......

scott_lewis3

Effective October 1, 2005, Konica Minolta Photo Imaging Canada, Inc.

will cease its operations in the Canadian market

Sept 7th, 2005

Konica Minolta Canada has today announced that by the end of this

month, Konica Minolta Photo Imaging Canada, Inc. will cease its

operations in the Canadian market. All other world-wide Konica Minolta

subsidiary?s and companies will remain operational.

Sales and distribution of Digital / 35mm cameras, film scanners,

binoculars, photo meters, and their accessories will cease in Canada.

However, the company is considering sales of those items through web

and possibly through third party distributors in the future.

Effective October 1, 2005, distribution of Konica Minolta products

including film, single use cameras, paper, chemistry, inkjet paper,

mini-labs and the servicing of mini-labs, will be conducted through

Phototrader Inc. The servicing of the mini-labs will be enhanced by

the employment of several existing Konica Minolta service technicians.

Established in 1986, Phototrader Inc. is the leading provider of

photographic supplies to all photographic imaging producing companies

that require timely delivery, top branded products and the best

customer care, according to a Konica Minolta release. For more

information on Phototrader Inc. please visit their website at

www.phototrader.ca.

Repairs and maintenance of existing Konica Minolta equipment in

Canada, including servicing of Digital SLR cameras, will be handled by

Zoomtron, a full-service Konica Minolta Authorized Service Centre.

Currently located in Montreal they will be opening an additional

facility in Mississauga.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/KonicaMinoltaCanada_Closing.shtml

I think this is a case of a company trying to outsmart it's costumers (and failing) in the age of the internet. As I've read on other forums, KM greatly overpriced it's products in Canada, and people just bought the equipment from the US - or bought Canon or Nikon gear instead.

I purchased my 7D at London Drugs (after shopping around). Paid $2089 for the body plus grip (which I am most pleased to have) and the 2500 flash (so so) AND am getting a $200 rebate that was extended to Sept 30 (???). So that works out to about $1450 for the body. I was pleased. I wonder if the $200 rebate applies to the new lower price? PERHAPS ASK!

I am assuming (along with many others who know way more about this than me) that they will clear out the 7Ds by spring and annouce thE new model which everyone is speculating will be 10 or 12MP with or w/o a full sensor. Who knows?

Editorial ... Again!! I never miss a chnace to stir the pot. :)

I am of the humble opinion that 93.6 percent of the users here have no practical need for a 12MP. Ja? The technology is beyond the ability of our eyes. Golly, 35-mm and medium format was the ad agency standard for decades and we have surpassed that quality with digital methinks.

The ongoing "Saga of Pixel Envy" continues. :)

Makes you wonder about what marketing gurus KM hired here in Canada. Little or no advertisment, prices out of all reason, salespeople ill trained or not provided incentives (at least it felt like it.) Does KM really want to sell their products, or what business do they want to be in? I know our market here is small, but it seems if they had a worldwide push they wouldn't be such an "off-brand".

There just isn't a drive or maybe there isn't enough competition around here but I wish for once someone would cattle-prod the retail industry here. I for one am most happy to shop elsewhere (usually the States/online of course) rather than face the dismal, uncaring, un-inspired, tired salepeople in most places here in Canada. And if I didn't already have a long time, big investment, and wasn't so pleased with the 7D as an instrument, I would happily move to a brand like Nikon or Canon that cares about providing sales and service.

Michael Scott said: "I for one am most happy to shop elsewhere (usually the States/online of course) rather than face the dismal, uncaring, un-inspired, tired salepeople in most places here in Canada."

Michael,

You must be from Ontario and I would say take a peek in the mirror.

Michael Scott said: "I for one am most happy to shop elsewhere (usually the States/online of course) rather than face the dismal, uncaring, un-inspired, tired salepeople in most places here in Canada."

Michael seems like a snob, so I'll point out that it is salespeople. Because I am a camera salesperson who constantly has to deal with people like you who bought something online. Then they come into the store and want to know how it works. That is kind of like taking your GMC to the Toyota dealer and asking them how it works.

One of my duties is sending out repairs. If you think that Canon or Nikon has faster or better repair service than Konica Minolta you are living in a fantasy world. Warranty repairs from the two former are often taking 6-8 weeks.

I'm done ranting know.

Hank

Clive writes...

"I am of the humble opinion that 93.6 percent of the users here have no practical need for a 12MP. Ja? The technology is beyond the ability of our eyes. Golly, 35-mm and medium format was the ad agency standard for decades and we have surpassed that quality with digital methinks."

And... I agree. But many people like having all those megapixels so they can do tight cropping and still end up with a high resolution photo. My 5 MP Panasonic FZ20 has really nice resolution even when cropped down to 2MP worth of data. I imagine that if you start with an image with higher resolution, the odds are you can zoom right in on a part of it and still have a great photo.

Marty

Hank;

Sorry man, far be it from me to paint everyone with the same brush. My apologies to you and other salepeople who do care and do a good job. I guess I am the tired and uncaring one. Six ribbons of shame for me.

I guess this is the result of a frustrating few months trying to buy various products (and not just camera equipment) and just not getting anywhere with salespeople who just shrug their shoulders. In so many cases customer service has gone by the wayside in the retail industry. I dealt with many computer and camera salespeople both professionally and personally who I loved to deal with over the years, seems the best retired or moved away. Can't seem to find someone that makes me want to go in to see what's new anymore. (Is this just me getting old?) The other exasperation is trying to find products in Canada...smaller market, less products.

And thanks for the heads up on the service for Canon/Nikon Hank. The grass is always greener...

Life ain't so bad...especially when ya see what other people have to go through (like Gulf coast?)

So, where do poor guys like myself who have been saving their nickles and dimes for a 5D or 7D purchase one? It was my hope that I could go to my local shop, and support a local business/bussiness owner, however KM has decided that I can't do that. Ultimately I'll have to purchase it from someone I've never met.

Anyway, back to my point, where is a decent place online to purchase Minolta Products? A place that 1.) ships to Ontario, 2.) won't screw me over and 3.) has fair prices? I know other threead have SOME of this information, but I've been getting confluicting reports.

Also, will this closure cause prices to drop as buyer confidence plummets?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...