peter_henry1

I received my Dynax (Maxxum) 7D today. Installed the Dimage Viewer

software from the enclosed CD. Managed to dowmload some photos from

the camera to my computer. But now I cannot download anymore. I keep

getting an error message about the device malfunctioning/ a problem

with the USB connection. The LCD screen on the camera reports "USB

disconnected" even though it is connected. The computer states "One

of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and

windows does not recognise it." I am using Windows XP Professional.

Any suggestions? HELP

This is why I use a separate card reader.

Did you disconnect the camera properly when you finished the first time? (Using the safely remove hardware button in the bottom right of your PC). I have heard claims that removing hardware without doing so may cause damage.

No, I didn't!! Should have read the manual. What would it cause damage to? I have just tried it on my laptop and it worked, but will not work on my main PC even though I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software. Would it damage the camera or the Compact Flash card?

If you just unplug the camera, one or several data blocks may not have been written to the medium, causing a damaged file system. Formatting the medium (preferrably with the camera) will solve this problem. Unless there are sparks flying when you unplug the camera, physical damage is unlikely.

<p>

If that still doesn't work, it's some other problem. Does Windows recognize the camera as a mass storage device? Is the cable OK and properly plugged in? Is the camera set up to be a mass storage device (there are one or two other options, depending on the firmware version)?

I tried one of the USB ports at the rear of my main PC and it worked. It did work the first time with the front panel USB ports, so I don't know what's going on. Yes it works fine on the laptop, and now worked on the main PC with a different USB port, so I guess I can rule out any damage to the camera or the flash card. I did plug a mouse into the front panel USB port and it worked fine. I have ordered a 12 in 1 card reader, so I will not have to connect the camera to the computer. Thanks.

My 2 cents worth....I never even knew about the "safe to disconnect hardware" button with Win XP until recently... for 2 years I merely turned my old Nikon Coolpix on and off and plugged and unplugged it..never any damage. Like you said..it seems okay. (Sure gives you a panic attack when you are dealing with expensive cameras though!!)

My 7D is a treat to use. Made two 8 by 12-inch prints today. Nice images. May post here one day. I carefully use the "safe to disconnect hardware" button with the new camera....I used card readers for about two years and started downloading directly from the caneras two years back..I like connecting the camera....seems easier to me. (I did have a cheapo card reader and it was fussy to use.)

Hope you like your Dynax 7D as I like mine--we call tem Maxxum 7Ds here in Canada.

Cheers!

Clive

One problem when you download directly from the camera is if the power to the camera is interrupted in the middle of a download. If it does happen, you can lose the data on the memory card. It's safer to use a separate card reader if your computer doesn't have it built-in. I have a card reader from SanDisk that is the size of a flash drive. It's called a MobileMate. Very small. I also have a larger card reader the size of a credit card and about 3/8" thick.

Yes, I picked up a Sandisk ImageMate 12 in 1 card reader today. Comes with a docking station or you can use it without the docking station. And it read my CompactFlash card from the 7D without any problems. Cheers. BTW, I am impressed with the quality of the photos I have taken so far to test the 7D. I think I am going to be very happy with it.

Great !

When you get this problem again (and if you get it) just turn off the PC nad start all over again. But a card reader, I think is the easiest and best solution.

I am happy that you like the image quality of the Maxxum 7D because I am geting today a Maxxum or Dynax 5D. It is my first DSLR and I hope I made the right decision.

Rgds

[uSB driver KMADM7D Konica Minolta Alpha Dynax Maxxum 7 Digital]

Hello Peter Henry,

Also, make sure your USB connection is SOLO, that is, NOT sharing that same USB bus with any other components, and make sure it is directly connected to the main system board, NOT to an external hub or extension cable set (as some front panel USB sockets are).

I use a PCMCIA card reader and avoid USB at all costs! ;-) Gustavo has the answer - get a CF card reader as that protects your camera from EVER "talking" with your computer.

Click!

Lovea and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

I see that you have a card reader now but nobody has explained how to fix the problem.

On your PC go to "control panel" (click start - control panel) if you are in "category view " switch to "classic view" then double click the "system" icon. Click "hardware" and then click "device manager". You should see a yellow warning sign on one of your USB devices. Double click it. On this screen there should be an option to "update driver" click it and follow instructions. If you let XP search for a driver it should find and renew itself. This works in most cases.

Mark