100-300mm - spreading the net.

bill_thorlin

I have been looking to add something better to my kit in the 100-

300mm range (sorry if I am becoming boring on this topic ).

Have had recommendations here for the Tokins AT-X Pro 340 AF and to a

lesser extent the Minolta 100-300 APO. Not much happening so far so I

am wondering if I can spread the net - so is there anything else

worth considering ?

There is a 100-400 f4.5-6.7 available but the only review I could

find was less than complimentary - any thoughts ?

From everything I've read, the Sigma 100-300/4 EX is a very sharp, well respected lens. I'd expect it to be much better than the Tokina or the slower Minolta - it's high end "big glass", like KMs own G lenses and therefore sharp wide open, though one of the things that makes the KM 100-300 stand out from other similar lenses (xx-300/4-5.6) is its good 300mm wide open performance.

It's $900-ish, big & heavy and takes 82mm filters.

- Dennis

In this range you won't be able to get anything faster than f/4. The Tokina lens is supposed to be very good but it is expensive. If you were using a manual focus Minolta camera I would recommend a combination of the 70-210mm f/4 and a separate 300mm f/4.5. This type of combination night still be good because if you will use a 100-300mm lens mostly at the 300 end, the plain 300 would give better results.

The Sigma is really the best lens in the range. The KM is very, very good optically but a stop or more slower - very convenient, small, light, etc. The Tokina has the speed of the Sigma but isn't quite there optically.

An advantage to the 70-200/2.8 (for me it would be the Sigma for the $1K price difference) is that you can use it with the TC for range and w/o TC for speed. I followed several threads a while back going over these things and often a 100-300 is first purchased and then gets redundant over time as the fast 70-200 gets purchased and a longer lens supplants the long end.

• 2 weeks later...

<i>The Tokina has the speed of the Sigma but isn't quite there optically.</i>

<p>

Did you actually test them side-by-side, or is this just based on reputation, photodo, or other unreliable sources of information?

<p>

You might look at <a href="http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ripolini/100-300.htm">this review</a> of the Tokina lens by a professional nature photographer who rates this lens higher than the nikon 80-200/2.8 and 70-180/4-5.6 micro.

• 2 weeks later...