several hundred dollars cheaper. It also has a few features I miss

when I upgraded from the Maxxum 5 film to the 7 film. I cannot use

the VC-7 from the film version on the 7D, so there is no advantage in

that respect in getting the 7D. The only advantage I can see with the

7D is that it would be easy to swap between the 7 film and the 7D as

the controls would all be the same (mostly) but I do not know if I am

concerned with that. Are there any advantages with th 7D I am

missing? Thanks.

MLU - yes the 5D has MLU in the same way as the 7D, part of the 2s or 10s self-timer.

For me the layout and ease with which you can change things on the 7D would make me get the 7D if I had the choice. I don't I already have the 7D.

You use the grip on your film camera, which may indicate that you are a vertical grip 'user'. At the moment there is no option of a grip for the 5D. Look at the system map of the 5D in the pdf brochure, no grip. So ... if you wan't need a grip, your choice is made for you.

Okay, now the boas bit. The 7D is the best camera I've used in my 18 years of photography. The layout is perfect. And there is nothing missing.

(not you) It amazes me the posts I read in other forums demanding the 9D. I really don't see what the 7D is missing. And one poster somewhere said that the 7D is now obsolete becuase of the 5D, the 5D though is clearly one level down from the 7D. The 9D - or whatever KM call it - yes will be a welcome part of the system, but does anyone think that this will be any less than 2x the price of the 7D? Diiferent league here. Grr - winge over.

Get the 7D - most 7D users thoughts that I have read in forums say, yeah 5D nice, very nice, glad I got my 7D though. When the 5D launches (already in the shops in HongKong apparently) and then the 9D comes out there will still be lots of people buying/using the 7D. 7D replacement/upgrade is tipped for first half of 2006. Short of moving it up to an 8mega model I can't see what they'd do to it, and 8meg isn't reason enough to wait or change from 6meg

Thanks for the answers so far. I thought I would give some feedback. Do we know for certain that the 7D is built better than the 5D? Why? I do not have use for different focusing screens with the type of photography I do. Are the focusing screens for the 7D "user changeable" or do they have to be changed at a service centre? It will be quite hard to find a store in Auckland, New Zealand that will have both in stock for me to handle, but perhaps not impossible. Yes, I do use the vertical grip on occasion, however, I mainly bought it to save on batteries and to have a longer battery life. Hope all that helps you with further feedback. Thanks again.

Having used a Max 9 since it was available in Oregon I have been very happy with the 7D, in fact I've only shot one roll of film since I bought the 7D. BTW that was because it was loaded and I had a couple of shots that I needed. The VC 7D is available from 17th St. Photo for $169 and if you check Neighbor to Neighbor on PN they are a very reputable NY dealer to buy from. I don't think that if a 9D was produced I would jump in line to buy one.

I hope this helps.

Bob Moon

"I really don't see what the 7D is missing"

Well, it is just 6 MP and 1.5 crop factor. I am waiting for a full frame 12-16 MP 9D.

"Do we know for certain that the 7D is built better than the 5D? Why?"

Not built better, but from stronger materials. More metal, less plastic. For certain.