Need to buy a dedicated module for a Minolta 800si

scott_chitwood1

I would also think it is the MX-1AF, because to the best of my knowledge it is the only Sunpak module for AF minoltas. I don't think you would need an additional adapter, since this module is specifically meant to allow use of modular Sunpak flashes on AF Minoltas, which have the proprietary Minolta hotshoe, while maintaining full dedication for TTL flash metering.

What Chad is talking about is use of non-modular Sunpak flashes or modular Sunpak flashes with the generic module STD-1D with AF Minoltas. It is possible with the FS1100, but you loose dedication, ie only manual and auto flash mode, no TTL.

Just for completeness, for manual focus Minoltas in addition to the MX-2D module there is also the MX-1D module, which stems from the XD/XG era. It became superfluous, and is no longer available new, because the MX-2D module does everything the MX-1D module does, plus it provides TTL metering capabilities for the X-700/600/570/500.

I really like the Sunpak modular flash system - it works great and the units have excellent built quality. The modules tend to be pricey new, but often show up on eBay for comparatively little money.

Frank,

The MX-1AF is for the Maxxum 7000 series with the 4-pin standard-connection hot shoe.

I have not been able to find any information about an updated module for the xi/si hot shoe, and I have looked. I have some $ invested in sunpak flashes.

chad

Oh, and with the FS1100 (thanks Frank) you do keep TTL. Never really knew what that fourth pin was for on the AF cameras, but the FS1100 does not have it.

See here. There are a few currently listed:

http://photography.search.ebay.com/fs-1100_Cameras-Photo_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoactionZcompareQQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQcopagenumZ1QQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ625QQsatitleZfsQ2d1100QQsojsZ1

I hope that works. In any event, search for "fs-1100".

chad