KonicaMinolta 5D - pictures

lens_four

I found the pics linked to in another forum, DPReview.com. If you look at the layout of the 7D, the knowbs and buttons are in different places and are different sizes.

Personally I think the name gives it away, it has to be a lower grade camera than the 7D. Price??? The 7D's price has fallen a lot in the UK. From GBP 1150 at launch through 1049/999/899 now 799 (it did briefly hit 680 in one store for a while!!!!) Thats a huge drop.

The logic says that the 7D is competing with Canon 20D, so a 5D must be looking at the 350D? Well that's just how I see it. So the (9D) can compete with the 1D line.

There was rumour that this 5D would leak to the press in July ... sure has, """"apparently"""" this 5D is for press release on 11-Jul-05, so watch the Minolta websites on Monday.

The same source said that the 7D would be replaced in 2006, guess 7Di, 7Dn? And that the pro-line camera (NOT to be called the 9D) would be released in 2006 also.

Again, back to my thought .... is it too quick (for Minolta, given late entry) to be replacing the 7D with the 5D? Would the numbers work? I'm guessing: no. But I'm new to KM.

I think we will have the 5D/7D/(9D) as a choice of cameras. The APS-C lenses were supposed to be out in Sept. So perhaps the 5D will be press released in Jul, for Sep in the shops?

Or maybe the new kit lenses will ONLY be available with the 5D for the first few months in a kit, and then the lenses go to general relase on Sep-05.

2nd guessing KM ... not simple!

Either way, it is very hard to guess its spec if it is to fall below the 7D. It must continue to have the 6.? mpix, and the AS has to stay .... so what else goes? the exp comp? The spot? the ability to bolt on a grip? Who knows .... maybe Monday will tell.

Or maybe it will be an 8mega camera and queue the 7D up for its upgrade to the 7DII with a 8meg chip?

I remember a while back that there was some talk in the industry of an entry level KM DSLR priced at $500 US. If the 5D is somewhere around that price, it will be a hot seller, especially with AS. However, I'll stick with a $800 price, as my guess of the MSRP of the 5D

SL ATTANAPOLA:

That would be quite something ;)

I've looking and a lot of things have been said about the KM new DSLR's. And there is something that has been repeated quite often, which is, that the Dynax 5D would have the AS (IMHO something now to look over, specially in an entry DSLR) and that the Dynax 5D would end up to innherit some of the 7D specs (the 6.1mp been one of those things) become it just wouldn't make sense making an "warhorse" DSLR better,in some features, then a "midrange" one.

If they decide to have somethings in the 5D that overcome the 7D... my guess (and this is just and only a guess) is that the 7D would/should be updated in a very near future to keep the 7D competitive.

I've got two Minolta's at home a srt101b and a dynax60, both showed in a very good way that KM in the past have made quite a work in this field. The 7D was a good "experiment" and now is time to show what they have learned with it. I'm really looking forward to this new DSLR from KM!

Take care,

RWallace

I agree with R Wallace. That the 5D spec will be too close to the 7D that the 7D will be 'replaced' ... we have seen some crazy things happen to the price on the 7D recently.

I could easily see a surprize announcment in that the 5D is launched, AS and 6.? mega, no spot, no option of grip, maybe less fps, less buffer.

Then the 7D update with a jump to 8.? mega, and maybe an increase in fps and buffer.

But still leaving lots of room for the no-ti-be-called-9D for Jan/Feb-06 (date is a guess). And again my guess, I think it will be called the 12D. And be based on the film 9, but host a 12 mega chip.

Just thoughts. Bit of luck when i get home from the office tomorrow, there will be a press release and spec of the 5D and 7Dnew to read?

Not that any of this will make any difference to me, other than the feel good of being in a 'system' I really like my 7D. And have no need/lust for mre pixels. I would however like a 135/2, but there is no such thing, just the wonderful 85/1.4 .... but I need a longer fast lens. My 200/2.8 is fabulous, but when the light dips for wildlife in the evenings, I NEED a 135/2! Come on KM, surprize me!

I would expect that the 5D will be based on the Maxxum 70/ Dynax 60. If Minolta sticks with Sony CCDs that would mean it would have the 6.1MP sensor (I think the next larger one is 12MP -- maybe for the "7D plus" or 9D). Since the 60/70 body was very less expensive than the 7 film camera (particularly when the 7 was early in its sales life), I think that we can expect the same differences. It would still have 14 seg + spot metering, less enjoyable viewfinder (penta mirror & lower mag but still better than most competing brands), more plastic, DMF only with D lenses, less 7-like user interface (set control knob to feature, press button and turn operating dial to select), one operating dial, no flash comp (this might be needed), no AF/MF button on back (or limited to use on D-lenses), maybe no optional battery holder (or at least no operating controls on it). In any case it should have AS (not only because of the photos above, but because KM is including AS on lower lever prosumer cameras, and it is a key differentiating feature).

Tom

Well, the 5D fills a gap in their market, though if the discount prices on Nikon and Canon cameras are not going to knock it's sales, It'll have to be priced not much more than them, or it'll just sit on the shelves because AS, as good as it may be, and Minolta's low profile nowadays in comparison to Canon & Nikon, and more importantly, with another manufacturer [Can't remember the name] offering AS at not much more than their other models in their range, the tactic of making AS a feature which means they can place a bigger difference on their pricing than a non AS model, right on the head, and buyers quite reasonably, will say, 'It doesn't justify a big difference in the price to the Canon and Nikon, if a budget manufacturer can market AS at such a low price.'

A case of being slower than other AS technology providers getting product into the market-place?

However, my question is, WHERE IS THE DIGITAL VERSION OF THE DYNAX 9?!! - I've already bought an Olly E1 because I want that kind of build quality and an ultra-wide zoom lens which gives me an angle of view unavailable from any other digital camera maker, [7>14mm f4.o] but kept hold of many of my longer Minolta lenses, for Minolta's top of range body when it surfaces.