the lens I have a problem with.

The aperture does not work properly it seems to be sticking. It does

not stop down upon firing the shutter nor does it stop down when you

work the DOF button. With the lens off the body I move the pin to stop

it down and it does, but it wont open back up unless I turn the

aperture ring all the way wide. It looks like there is some very light

oil on the blades, I don't know if this is the reason but worth

mentioning.

Anybody know what the problem is or if I could fix it?

OR:

1 pristine SRT 101 black body lens and flash for sale. Make an offer....

TIA

Business Success:

"A long time ago I started out with nothing and today I still have

most of it"

It needs cleaning. The oil on the blades is the culprit. For the price of cleaning it up, you might buy another lens that works. I would try KEH.

Philosophy: "God put me on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things before I die. The way things are going, I will live forever!"

Jack

If the body is really 100% functional, the value would really largely be dictated by the cosmetics. Black SRT bodies that are really pristine are hard to come by nowadays. To what extent would you guarantee the functionality? And can you document the cosmetics with good photos?

Seriously, these issues are the difference between a $25 SRT body and a $125 SRT body. It's very hard to make you an offer without actually seeing it, and understanding to what extent you'll guarantee it's functionality and it's appearance.

BTW, I would assume as a matter of course, that the seals and the mirror bumper need replacement - but the SRTs are among the very easiest cameras around to do this - if you know what you're doing, it takes around 10-15 minutes and well under $1 worth of materials to re-seal an SRT.

Hold on to it. It's a nice backup for the D70, and such a different camera that it's well worth having both.

If there is visible oil on the aperture blades, that's most definetely the reason for the problem you are experiencing with the lens. There is supposed to be absolutely no oil on the aperture blades, and in virtually all cases of a sticky aperture were people claim there is no oil on the blades, it is there anyhow - it's just so little that it's hard to see. This is an easy fix for any repair place, but you can probably get another lens for less money than it would cost you to pay somebody to spend the little time that's needed to do this repair. www.keh.com would be a great place to look for another lens.

I figured it would be cheaper to buy another lens than to have this one repaired. Something I don't think I will do, maybe I will list it on eBay. It does need seals and bumper foam which I am going to replace before I let this gem go. I have done this to everyone of the film cameras I have owned, 2 Nikon FA's a F3HP a Canon FT QL a David White Stereo Realist and both magazines for my RB67 Pro S so this one should be no problem and I have plenty of material left.

Yes I have some good photos if you are interested in looking go here.http://www.pbase.com/hammerheadshark/minolta_srt_101

I could gaurantee the fuction of this camera and flash but not the lens. I sell items like this on eBay all the time you can check my feedback my user name is hammerhead_34668.

Business Success: "A long time ago I started out with nothing and today I still have most of it"

UPDATE!

I figured I had nothing to loose with this lens and have enjoyed much success repairing motor drives and a few bodies in the past. So I decided to take the plunge and took it apart. It was really easier than I initially thought it would be. I then cleaned the blades and aperture assembly in denatured alcohol in my ultrasonic jewelry machine. All went back together and it works wonderfully now.

So now I can stand behind the functionality of the whole package and guarantee it will work as good as it looks. A test roll through it and it?s time to put it up on eBay for auction.

Heading:

Minolta BLACK BODY SRT 101 with Rokkor 50mm 1:1.7 and Vivitar 181 flash PRISTINE condition vintage collectable

BTW if one should ever loose the small ball bearing that is behind the aperture ring which makes the indents at each f stop you can make one yourself. (I did and had to)

I took a large darning needle (these are very hard steel almost like tool steel) broke it in the middle to get to the fatter portion of it. I then put it in my Dremel tool to use like a small lathe. Using some very small files I cut the shape of a small ball on the end of the needle till it was literally holding on by a thread. I polished it with a super fine grit emery board and then cut it off the rest of the way with a knife file. This works as well as the original, maybe not quite as hard as the original ball bearing but much harder than the aluminum aperture ring it rides against so it?s all good.

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it"

• 2 weeks later...