Sigma 180mm f/2.8 macro opinions

brian_tao

I've got a line on a used Sigma 180mm f/2.8 macro lens with a Canon

EF mount. I haven't been able to find much information at all on

this lens (which apparently was discontinued by Sigma quite some time

ago, replaced by the f/3.5 version). Is this a 1:1 macro lens? Any

comments or opinions on the quality of the f/2.8 version? I already

have the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro, which I find is excellent. Hoping

to add a bit more subject distance with a longer lens though.

Be VERY careful with discontinued Sigma lenses. If it will not work on your body, they will not re-chip it and you end up with a useless piece of glass. It is also a safe bet to say that even if it will work on your current body, it won't work on your next one.

http://www.photographyreview.com/35mm,Primes/Sigma,180mm,f2.8,APO,MACRO/PRD_84694_3111crx.aspx

Sigma UK rechipped (FOR FREE!!)the old Sigma 300 f2.8 lens that I already had when I bought my D30 2years ago! All I had to provide was a copy of the receipt for my new camera body! I have telephoned them to see if this is still relevant for all old Sigma lenses and the reply was positive, if you include the copy of the receipt for the new body!

...Be VERY careful with discontinued Sigma lenses. If it will not work on your body, they will not re-chip it and ...

This is total nonsense. We have had dozens of lenses rechipped, as have friends in the U.S. - most for FREE. Whether or not a lens is rechipped depends to a great extent on if the lens can handle the it. Some older ones cannot. Some early generation Sigma macro and APO lenses cannot be rechipped; they will work only on the 600-series EOS bodies, and a few others. Other lenses can easily be rechipped. As for the lens you asked about, it was discontinued due to limited sales based on the weight of it, not necessarily on optical performace perse. The 180 f2.8 is an f22 max, 11/13 optical design, but takes 82mm filtersm, and weighs 1350 (compare to the nice, small 180 f5.6 Sigma which used 52mm filters and weighed only 435). The 180 f2.8 is considerably bigger, and has a built in tripod collar; the f5.6 model is so compact it neednt have one (this lens is actually smaller than the Tamron 90mm macro). Both 180's have a filter element built into the end of the lens, so you neednt use another on it; both are corrected for infrared work, so no adjustment is required. Most 180mm f2.8's were issued in Canon FD, not EOS models. The Sigma original 50mm and 90mm macros are 1:1 (the 90 via diopter); the older 180mm's are both 1:2.

<<< It is also a safe bet to say that even if it will work on your current body, it won't work on your next one >>>

Not necessarily a safe bet on a Sigma lens, not when you consider the lens line as a whole. They rechip lenses which CAN be rechipped (obviously, they cant rechip a lens that cant be rechipped). The lenses most likely to fall into the cant-be-rechipped category are older inexpensive zoom lenses, and the early "Zen" line of lenses, which are mostly FD designed lenses, they tweeked into operation at the time the EOS 620-630-RT were popular. The Sigma 50mm, 90mm and 180mm's were in this line, which is why you often see them in FD mount but rarely in EOS. The "pro" like lenses in the Sigma line have an excellent chance of being rechipped (I have had this done to my 300mm and 500mm lenses, for free, and friends ahve had similar lenses, as well as f2.8 straight zooms also done for free). Sigma never made an optically bad, nor even mediocre or o.k. macro lens (then again, who has?). The Sigma 90mm was actually sharper than the 105mm they make now, and was a good match against the Tamron 90mm - though the difference are so tiny it is hard to tell less you routinely make 16x20 prints. If you use older EOS bodies, a first-generation Sigma macro lens is often a great deal - in terms of quality and price; if you use the latest bodies, call Sigma which the lens mm, speed, and finish, and they will tell you if they can rechip it or not. Sigma changed from 90-105 and 180 2.8/5.6 when they made macros for the newer EOS bodies; they didn't drop the earlier focal lengths because the lenses weren't sharp. You cant compare what type of lenses Tamron rechips and what type of lenses Sigma rechips (like the guy on that photo review) as they are different technology in different casings made at different times for different body technology.

Thanks to all for your valuable input. It's a bit of a bummer that the lens does not go to 1:1, but otherwise it seems like a very fine 180mm prime. I'll investigate the rechipping angle and if I get any useful information back, I'll report it here.