work with it.<br>

But, question is - which body is the best - I simply don't have any

experience with minolta manual focus bodies.<br>

I shoot primarily stills, from portraits to landscapes - no action.<br>

After all, you can see on my portfolio mine main subjects .<br>

Can someone help me with this- opinions, recommendations etc...<br>

Regards,<br>

Alex

Set the AF dial to "MF". Done. It's the cheapest way to get a MF camera, there's no learning curve, you can use all your existing lenses and accessories, and you get the best camera available (as you say). That's no joke! Buying a complete MF SLR system to complement a very good AF SLR system will only cost time and money and will get you next to no advantages.

Aleksandar - I understand what you are asking. I too own a couple Maxxum 7s and they are wonderful cameras. But there's a certain "zen" peacefulness when you work with a true MF system. I have been picking up a lot of MF equipment over the past year for this reason. The bodies I've picked up and used are SR-7, SRT-101 (with MLU), SRT-101b, XE-7, XD-7, X-700, and Hi-Matic 7SII ( haven't shot with this yet). The most satisfying to me is the XE-7. I like the heft and size of the camera along with the full info viewfinder. It does have a dim viewfinder compared to today's standards but the "schnick" of that shutter firing is something to be experienced. I like the XD-7 for a lot of the same reasons. Capability wise you'd probably also have to consider the X-700 but it didn't do anything for me. I gave that one to my son to learn on. Oh, and putting the Maxxum 7 into MF mode just isn't the same, LOL!! Enjoy, Jim

I'm with Jim on the XE-7....also have the SRT 101 and have handled the XD-11. The XE-7 is sweet and has all the features a MF cam could want. Using KEH.com and staying with their Bargain rated cams and lenses (which are still extremely nice condition in my opinion) you could build a nice all Minolta manual focus system for under $500.........a guess would be from 24mm to 200mm no problem....all primes. Minolta's manual focus zooms have something to be desired in my opinion.

Tahnk you all for (as always) prompt answer.<br>

Jim - it seems to me that you have understood what I meant - it's something magic in mechanical cliks and sounds.<br>

Michael - as always - you are THE source of infomration <br>

Resaon for asking such question is that it seems to me taht I can purchase solid MF body and lenses very cheap, on some photo meeting that are ocasionaly in my town - I doubt taht it would cost me more than 100EUR -body+50mm or something like that<br>

And to all: <br>

maybe I'm wrong but minoltians are very friendly people, and I'm pleased to know that you'll be here to answer my silly questions :))))<br>

Good ligt to everyone<br>

Alex

<p>I agree and disagree with the statement to set your AF camera to MF and get the same thing. There are a lot of advantages to this, especially the cost of a whole new camera system and learning it. AF cameras were designed to work differently (obviously) than MF camera, and there are differences in the two camera system which changes the decision. I have never had an AF system and have an extensive MF system, from my original SRT-101 (still working) in 1969 to X-700's and its system. My personal choice for the best is the XD/XD-11, even over the XE-7. The reasons are size, weight, features and advantages over the XE-7. The XD/XD-11 is smaller, lighter, easier to use with touch-on meter system, brighter viewfinder, three modes (manual, shutter-priority and aperture-priority), winder attachment, etc. It's the ideal basic camera, but then I'm biased. There are several Web sites describing the difference between the various MF cameras, such as <a href="http://www.sds.com/mug/">X-series</a>, <a href="http://www.geocities.com/mikkonis/xemain.html">XE-series</a> and

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/minoltaxd711/index.htm">XD-series</a>.

<p>Good luck, Scott.

In most cases an AF camera used in MF mode will not work as well as a regular MF camera. The first reason is that the focusing screen in an AF camera is optimized for brightness while the standard focusing screen in an MF camera might have a microprosm or split image focusing aid in the center. Some have combination screens. The higher end AF cameras had interchangeable focusing screens and might have been used for long telephoto or macro work. These are two areas where the AF feature is not always practical to use.

At the time that the XD series cameras came out I was using mostly Konica cameras and I still have a large Konica collection. I was impressed by the look and feel of the XD11. I liked the fact that it had a vertical metal shutter because all of my Konica cameras had these. When the XD series went out of production and were replaced by the X series in 1981 I thought Minolta had taken a step backward. The X-700 had aperture priority and a program mode but no shutter priority mode. It also has a horizontally running cloth shutter with a low flash synch speed. At some point in the late 1980s I bought a Minolta Auto Bellows III and adapted it for use with my Konica cameras by placing T adapters between the bellows and the camera. Eventually I bought and sold a Minolta SR-1S, an SRT-100 and an X-370. I liked the X-370 but it did not have interchangeable focusing screens. I now have two X-700s, a fully refurbished SRT-101 and a still unrefurbished SRT-102. The X-700 is light and quiet. It has a very bright viewfinder and also has interchangeable focusing screens. The screens are not very easy to change so I have left a grid screen in one body and a plain matte screen in the other. I usually use the body with the grid screen. The X-700 has electronically timed shutter speeds and they are very accurate. The camera was manufactured for approximately 20 years. In the last few years it was assembled in China from Japanese parts. It can still be repaired. The X-700 does have an important feature which was missing on the XD series cameras. That is TTL flash. I have three 280-PX flashes and they perform very well on the X-700 cameras. For some macro work I use a Duo-Synch cord so I can hold the flash off of the camera. Minolta makes a better cord of this type but it is hard to find and expensive.

Eventually it will be difficult or impossible to repair the electronic camera models. This is why I got an SRT-101 and had it refurbished. It is much heavier and its meter isn't nearly as sensitive as that of the X-700 but as long as there is someone around who knows how to work on it you should be able to use it. I have many Minolta and Minolta mount MF lenses and I want to be able to use them even after my X-700s are no longer working.

If you want to get your feet wet in Minolta MF try an X-370. They are light, inexpensive and very pleasant to use. When I find one at the right price I will add it to my collection for the times that the standard focusing screen is adequate.

Let me put in a vote for an SRT series body. The 102/303/Super is the top of the line, depending on which part of the world you are in. I recommend a SRT because IMHO it would be best suited to give you the experience you are seeking.

Arguably, the XM/XK-Motor was the 'best' manual focus body Minolta ever made, but XM/XK series bodies are uncommon and expensive even in the non-motorized versions, so might be overkill for a second system that you want to use for recreational purposes only ;-)

The most full featured body would be a X-500/570 (closely followed by an X-700), but these have a very modern feel - after all, they are just one step away from AF. Both, the XD and XE series have a more classic feeling with metal bodies and beautiful metal shutters. You could choose either one of these depending on whether you prefer a big, hefty body (XE) or a sleek, light one (XD). However, all of the cameras I mentioned so far have electronic shutters, and offer automatic exposure modes. If you are after a fully manual and mechanical experience - batteries required only to power the meter - including match needle and the works, an SRT series body will fit the bill!

I love to set my SRT-Super to the 1s or 2s shutter speed, and listen to the mechanics inside the camera buzz while the shutter is open - until it closes with a big 'clonk' ;-)

I have used all the minolta MF and I agree the xd and xe series cameras are the best.

However to get some of the great lenses you will need to spend some big money. Since

you already have a minolta AF camera, why not buy one of the older AF cameras that has a

better manual focusing screen options? In particular the maxxum 9000 or maxxum 7000.

Also the older AF lenses from this time have depth of field scales on them, which most

new AF lenses do not. Also they can serve as a backup with adequate ability to manual

focus.

Seems to me that, after deciding on MF, the next decision concerns the degree of automation regarding <em>exposure</em>. And AE cameras generally use an electronic shutter. The thing I love most about the SRTs is that I can shoot even with dead batteries. (We don't <em>need</em> no steeenkin' auto exposure!)<p>

I just bought an x-570 after selling my Maxxum 70, and I love it. Very simple, shows you everthing you need to know in the viewfinder, and the aperture priority mode is there when you want it. I got the body + a ton of lenses all for less than the cost of my (cheap!) Maxxum 70 body.

The XK motor is the best. Get that one although it will cost more than a Max 7. Next is the XD-11 or 7 which will be less expensive. Those are collectable as well as premium cameras. Check out the Rokkor files for a review of some of the bodies.

I agree with the above comment about the x-500 (=x-570). Everything you'd need in a manual focus camera, it's in there.I think it's better than the x-700, having full viewfinder info instead of a dumb full-auto option. They are also cheaper, usually, than x-700. They can be had in very good shape (maybe better than x-700 since they were/are not that popular).

You should also try a hi-matic rangefinder. Especially the smaller 7sII, if you find one. They are funky little cameras able to produce excellent images.

IMHO, it depends on what you want: Are you looking for the elegant feel of precision machinery and collectability, or are you simply looking for a practical, functional camera that can be relied on for long-term use?

If it's the former, then the choices should be between the XD-7/11, XE/XE-1/XE-7, and the SRT-101/202/303, all of which were great cameras, and continue to be great users if well maintained in proper condition, but which would be tough to get repaired (although the SRTs are less difficult than the others).

But from a simple functionality standpoint, the best bet is the X-500/570 or the X-700. While they are plastic and electronic, they are also rugged, and exceptionally practical to use, and can still be repaired reasonably, and especially the X-700 is widely available on the used market in fully working condition at good prices. The older mechanical cameras are more often found in some degree of disrepair on the used market.

Having owned a Maxxum 7, I have to say that camera is the best modern camera (ie. with an LCD screen) I have ever held. Fits like a glove. Makes you feel "in control".<BR><BR>

Then I needed money and sold it, and got my Dad's X-700 for free. However, I just sold my X-700s and X-570 to get XD-11 bodies. Why? Not really more functional, but the FEEL is much better to me. You hold one of the XD-11/7 and you feel . . . well, different. Kind of distinguished some how. Like you're holding a well oiled machine, not a computer. I guess that means something to a 24 year old who grew up in the "disposable" era. Does it take better pictures? Nope. Does it play with my mind? Yep. :-)<BR>

Jed

The XD-11 (XD in Japan and XD-7 in Europe and elswhere) was the highest quality MF slr camera ever made by Minolta. Identical except for lens mount to the Leica R4 etc. The Seiko shutter set a standard which was lacking in the later X series cameras. Very elegant camera and very expensive to make with an extremely high build quality.

Just personal experience. I bought an SRT101 in Nairobi in 1969 with my first bonus and carried on using it until I was seduced by the 7000.I stuck with the 7000s until the kit was stolen (due to the small print it was sadly not covered by insurance). Eventually moved onto the 800si's with a 404si in support.

I still have my 101, there was no way I could part with it , it has been used up mountains, in game parks, in deserts, on beaches, in fact just about anywhere you could use a camera. It took it all in it's stride, it never let me down and with 3 primes and a teleconverter it gave me all the results I could have asked for (probably the best bonus I ever had). For me one of the great cameras and still a joy to use.It will probably be buried with me. Give it a try !

• 1 month later...
Interesting readng that so many models are the best model. Minolta has addressed many users needs over the years. I dont know if you shoot landscapes in the cold or winter. I learned real quick that after about thirty minutes in the snow-you'll be reaching for an SRT (minus meter). Once those batteries get cold, those digital and electronic MF bodies aren't insulated enough to protect the batteries from old man winter. At least an SRT give you the opportunity to take a photo-otherwise you're done. Every situation and every user has a unique need and model. I'm just glad I live the era to see the transition of the photo media.