Angle Finder V vs. VN

john_noble1

Besides the 2X magnification of the VN model, is there any real difference between

Minolta's two angle finders? Is one brighter/better than the other? Does the magnification

feature on the VN have real world utility, or does it just get in the way? Anything else I

should know?

I'd like to use one of these on my X-700 for both macro and general photography.

Thanks in advance!

I have both, I use the newer version, which has less metal in it and weighs less, for copy work and occasional macro on an X-700. I do like the 2x feature but I find that, if I focus carefully, I don't need it. Also, the 2x feature cuts down the field of view you see so you may wind up switching back and forth between 1x and 2x to check what in in the viewfinder. I have not compared the brightness between the two.

Thanks for the info, Geoff -- I really didn't think I'd get a response from anyone who had

used both of them, let alone owned both at the same time!

It sounds like I'd be happy with the V ... which happens to be a lot easier to find & a little

cheaper than the VN.

Darn it, Antony -- there you go confusing me!

:-)

Thanks for the advice. Wanna trade yours for my quartz date back?

Seriously, thanks a LOT for putting up the Rokkorfiles site. I consulted it regularly when

putting together my little SLR kit recently, and with your help I feel like I ended up with a

pretty decent bag of toys for not much $$.

Thanks, Frank -- I think B&H had it in stock a couple of months ago but it appears that

Minolta no longer distributes it in the USA.

As for cost, I just bought a Cable OC and off camera shoe for $70 at a local dealer (ouch!

at least they were NIB), so $119 for something that has actual optics in it doesn't sound so

bad!

Even worse was having to pony up $50+ for a remote release cable for my little Leica. :-/

• 17 years later...

I know this is a really old post, but it helped me as I looked for these units. I finally have used both and my opinion is that the magnification is really useful and the new Vn model is also easier to see through. The construction is MUCH flimsier though. It is not nearly as sturdy as the older V model. Also, this might just be my model, but the diopter adjustment rotates really easily, so it is hard to set and forget it. You will be fiddling with that adjustment constantly. I might try to take it apart to see if there is a seal or o-ring that I can replace to make some more resistance for that adjustment. I wish they would have kept the older construction methods while adding the nice rubber eyecup, the improved eye relief range, and the magnification for sharper focusing. I still can't be 100% certain, but I think I will probably continue using the V model unless I can find a few adjustments in the Vn model to improve its performance. 

Sorry to tell Minolta fans, but I modified a Minolta RA finder to fit my Nikon DSLR. My old knees had started to complain too much about kneeling down to view low-level shots. 

7-Swivelled2.jpg.609f1c78c47351bc7bd0c12d7017341e.jpg

I think this must be the V version since it has fixed magnification, and the build-quality is really good. 

The conversion was easy and reversible. The Minolta eyepiece 'slide' just unbolts and could then be replaced with a modified blinding cap for the Nikon. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1