Minolta 7D anti shake and mirror lenses

vivek iyer

Why should there be a difference in this regard between mirror lenses and conventional lenses? Unsharpness due to camera shake should be reduced equally in either one, but of course anti shake won't help if it's a cheap mirror lens that's unsharp to begin with.

'Unsharpness' is a very blurry term - bad pun intended ;-)

It can be caused by many things - lack of focus, flare, lens element out of alignment, dirt on glass, camera shake, shutter speed too slow to freeze movement, and so on. If it's caused by camera shake, anti shake can reduce it.

From my limited experience, the main source of lack of clarity from any mirror lens is from vibrations during an exposure.

Some of the better mirror lenses (like the Russian MTOs or the rare and super expensive Zeiss Mirotars) are of robust construction and are extraordinarily heavy lenses which makes them less prone to vibrations.

So, I am curious if anyone has actually checked to compare if the unique antishake feature improves the vibration related loss of clarity.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have a 7D, but from what I've read about the camera, the AS should work on ANY lens you put on the camera. I read a short review somewhere (possibly Popular Photography?) months ago on a pre-production D7, where they tried the AS by using the Maxxumn 500mm f8 mirror and they said it worked great.

Mirror lenses are much more sensitive to camera shake than ordinary tele lenses because of the construction with less weight and short length. The AS would help with this. They are often less contrasty too because of the mirror in the middle of the front lens, which sometimes fools you into believing your image is unsharp from vibrations or camera shake. In this case AS of course is worthless.

I'm interested in the new 7D even though I have a wide range of manual Nikon lenses. If I switch to Minolta, I'd like to continue using some of these lenses, especially the wonderful Nikon 400mm f/3.5. So I'm very interested in knowing whether the AS works with any glass (other brands, manual lenses, telescopes etc) or only with Minolta's own line of AF lenses. It seems it works with the Maxxum mirror lens, has anyone tried other lenses outside the AF line?

Regards,

Pontus Gustavsson, Sweden

• 2 weeks later...