V35 conversion process to use 50mm?

yong_shin1

Does any one know what steps are required to convert V35 to accept

50mm lens and still retain auto focusing capability? I am not sure if

the NJ people still offer this conversion service or retain parts

needed to do such conversion (Actually, can someone find this out for

me for I am located oversea at the moment. Sorry for being too

forward.). If parts are available, is this process DIYable?

As the early V35s shipped with a 50mm lens, I am sure the 50mm focus cam is still available. However, it may not work that well with jusy any 50mm lens. You would have to match the actual focal length of the original. How much lee way you have I am not sure but it would not be much.

Leica has email addresses posted on its website and your local distributor should be able to find out as well.

Why would you want to do this? The entire light path, including the design of the Phillips bulb (used only in this enlarger) is centered around the 40mm. Early versions had a 50mm lens, but, according to Leica, changes were make in the mixing chamber design when they switched to the 40mm. I think you would see a drop in image quality, as well as losing, or compromising A/F by switching to a different focal length.

Forget my earlier post - then extension ring story appears to concern very small prints. Let me quote the Leica Darkroom Practice book (Rudolph Seck, page 45): "For the 40mm lens the indicated enlargement range is from 3- to 16 times linear enlargment. The scale can be rotated through 180 degrees when it shows a second scale for a 50mm lens running from 3- to 12 times enlargement.

On request the Focomat V35 AF can be fitted with a 50mm lens. A suitable focussing device has been designed for the Leitz 50mm f4.5 Focotar II. This changeover can only be carried out in Leitz workshops."

Thanks a lot, guys. I guess what I need is a new cam and a roller for the 50mm lens. I contacted Leica Germany and was told that they no longer provide conversion service for the such. I am hoping that Leica USA might have parts left for the work but it seems it is very difficult for me to contact them for the moment. Someone with a good tie with Leica NJ people might want to lend me some help in getting inside information as to how one can get those parts. Any volunteer?