Using two off-camera flashes in wireless mode

Mike Gammill

It depends what you want to do. If you just set flashes into wireless mode and set them off camera, the camera miniflash will fire them just fine. I am not exactly sure how you go about flash ratios but I think you can designate one flash as control unit and then set the other flash to 2:1, 1:1 or 1:2 ratio to control. You can also have one flash mounted on camera (fill) and other of camera (main) and that takes that flip-up flash out of the equation (it is very small but can produce quite harsh shadows).

Minolta has manuals for at least 5400xi flash free to download at their website (you will need to dig a little, I do not remember where exactly is the link to manual downloads). 5400xi is bigger brother of 3500xi and the manual explains using the wireless flash with more detail than camera manual. You can also download manual for Maxxum 7 and I believe that has chapter about using two wireless off-camera fireball-throwers too. Don't expect too much from manuals, Minolta tries to keep the information about their W/L flash system secret because it could draw more people to Minolta brand, which is something that Minolta marketing department tries to prevent for years.

If you have more detailed questions, keep asking.

Hi, you can use as many off camera 3500xi's as you want. I've used 6 at once for a difficult lighting job and they all worked fine together. Obviously with several you have to be careful with placement. The on camera flash (popup or 3600hs) doesn't contribute to the picture. It flashes to turn on the other units and flashes to turn them off. You don't need a wireless controller its all built in. Unfortunately all the flashes will be turned on and off at the same time. So if one is 1m from subject and the ones for the background are 5m away then you aren't going to get a balanced exposure. I find it is all very simple to use and just works. Minolta make very little of it and there is not much in the way of info they provide. In practice just try it out. It works in bright sunlight, over long distances and is a lot better than the max5 manual would have you believe. Have fun!