New to lenses... need guidance

shashwat

Hi!

I'm pretty new to lenses, I have a Minolta 505si (I know it's not a

very good camera, but for an Ameture I think should be fine) and

have a 24/70mm zoom lens...

I genrally like to take pictures of landscapes, architecture,

travel, and now want to explore portraits too...

can you suggest me good options in lens that I should go for... If

this means a I should buy more than 1 lens, I'm ok with it...

I would appriciate your help...

Cheers!

Shashwat

Many people like the minolta 135mm f/2.8 as a portrait lens, but if budget is a concern, I'd go for the 70-210 f/4 macro lens (the old style one with the constant aperture). I like it not only as a portrait lens, but also as an excellent close-up lens for taking pictures of flowers and insects. In addition, the 70mm gives you enough flexibility to use it in many other situations.

The 70-210 f/4 macro lens is about $70 used.

I started with a 505si and think it's a very good little camera. I'll agree it's not the most solidly built body available but as long as you bear that in mind and take reasonable care of it, you can get some suberb results.

You didn't say what make of lens you have. The 505si is very often supplied with budget lenses to keep the overall 'package' cost down. If you have got one of the cheaper lenses, it may be worth replacing it with something similar but better quality rather than adding a selection of lenses that you may not use very often.

I have a Minolta AF 24-105 / 3.5-4.5 (D) which spends most of its time on the front of my camera. It produces beautifully sharp images and has a range that makes it suitable for both landscapes (at the 24mm end) and portrait (at the 105mm end). I have some bigger zooms as well, but I find I don't tend to use them that often.

While there are without doubt far better quality lenses available, they do come with a hefty price tag. If you are still experimenting (as you suggest you are) it might be better not to rush out and buy a mega-expensive prime lens that is really only suited for one job.

While it flys in the face of the age old wisdom of always buying the best lens you can afford, it might be worth picking up one of the cheap Minolta 75-300 zooms. This would give you coverage from 24mm up to 300mm. While the results aren't going to be up there with the best, they will still be perfectly acceptable and you'll be able to work out what focal lengths you most regularly use for your chosen type of photography. Then you can go out and buy the expensive glass!

Thanks everybody for the responses!

Michael, I' m not looking at very big budget... but upto 150 pounds should be fine...

Bubba, Matt... thanks for explaining things to me so very well!

Thanks alot..!

Shashwat