Damaged trannys from drum scanning - Has it happened to you?

spud

I just had 12 6x7cm trannys sent back to me from a high quality

commercial printer that had made drum scans of them. Much to my

shock, I found that 4 of the images were damaged. Not because they

flew off the drum, but because the colour had completely shifted on

the originals. These 4 seem to have lost all of their yellow content

and now contain a heavy reddish cast to them. I pulled my bracketed

shots out for comparison and they look completely different.

Here's the deal:

2 of the shots were on Kodak Ektachrome 100

2 of the shots were on Fuji Velvia

2 of the shots were taken on the same day on the same roll (Kodak)

The other two were on two separate rolls shot months apart

The bracketed shots were taken on the exact same film as the

respective originals and obviously at the same time.

The proofs from the scans illustrate the colour shift, but in

comparing the proofs to the originals, it seems that the colour has

shifted even further on the originals.

Has anyone run into this type of damage from drum scanning before?

Any ideas what may have caused it? This printer does tens of

thousands of scans each year and they have never seen anything like

this.

Needless to say, its put a really bad taste in my mouth about

commercial scanning. One of the images that was toasted was, in my

opinion, the best work I'd ever done.

Looking for your wisdom....

I thought about poor processing as well, but these 4 images were processed at two different pro labs at 3 different times. In looking at the odds of how these guys could all make the same degenerative processing mistake at three different times...seems a bit of a stretch... Very wierd

</b> Maybe we're jumping to the wrong conclusion here. Could it be that they may have been inadvertently exposed to high heat outside of their being scanned? Would that be a possibility? Maybe at the lab that scanned them? It would have to have happened before they were scanned as you say the proofs indicate the shift. I don't think that the scanning process could do that and oil wouldn't do that either.

Spud,

Sorry, I have nothing to help with your problem; just had to say your name caught my attention, looked up your photonet profile - it was hilarious, and you website is outrageous. To those of you checking in, you need to see his stuff, it will brighten your day. (will spud ever make it to Idaho?) Good luck with the problem.

Two labs in Toronto:

Henry's Pro E-6 lab

Accent Photo & Imaging

I'm quite familiar with the place that's done the scanning and I don't know of any areas with excessively high heat. The area is completely climate controlled.

Plus, it would appear that the originals have shifted even further than after the scanning. When I look at the proofs now, they are better than the originals as they stand now.

Thanks for the kudos Tom, but Spud is not overly happy today.

Herein may lie your answer: Transparencies and film for scanning on

a "drum scanner" should never be mounted with oil. The proper stuff

to use--although more expensive--is "Kami Fluid Wet Mount" and after scanning the fillm should be cleaned with PEC-12 archival film

cleaner. Don't send your scans to a place which uses oil as a

mounting medium.

Now you know just about all I know about mounting drum scans, but I think it is enough to convey the idea that the reason people who do my scanning say,in essence, "If you want it mounted with oil, go someplace else. We don't want the responsbility."

I'll be talking with the Fuji and Kodak guys on Monday. They are both coming to have a look. My experience with Kodak in the past though is that they are notorious for pointing blame at others. I just want to figure out what the real true cause was.

To try and salvage things, I've pretty well resolved that the trannys can't be brought back. Fortunately, I have 245 MB files of each image from their scan. Next week we're going the route to try and colour correct them with LAB (not RGB or CMYK) and then send the files to a local top-flight lab to have 8x10 trannys made (well, proportionally full images on 8 x 10 film). It won't be originals, but will be extremely high quality dupes. Small salvage I know.

Just out of curiosity, you guys have any claims experience with this? I'd like to hear what came of it and how you went about it.

Sorry to see the damage to your trannys. I have previously worked as a prepress manager for years and I have never seen this kind of damage before. I can only guess as to what caused it. An inexperiened scanner opertor may have left your chromes in film cleaner for an extended period of time. That is of little consolation now.

To get the proper color balance back to your scans, try Applied Science Fiction - Digital ROC filter. There is a free demo available.

www.asf.com