Using Infrared film in Maxxum 7

thomas_durst

I want to start using infrared film and I'm wondering how much of an effect the

IR counter in the Maxxum 7 will have. According to most any manufacturer,

you cannot use infrared film in a camera with an IR counter. That narrows the

usable new AF cameras down to the F100 and the Maxxum 9. From reading

other message boards, some say the IR counter will only fog the portion of the

film that is read by the counter (that being off frame), and others say it can't be

done. Has anyone tried IR film in the Maxxum 7? How much fogging does

occur?

An important factor might be what kind of infrared film -- Konica Infrared 750 or Ilford SFX, for example, might not be a problem because they aren't sensitive very far into the infrared spectrum. Maco 820 or Kodak High Speed Infrared might be a different story since they are sensitive much further into the infrared spectrum. Hopefully some people who have 1st-hand experience with this can give some help. I'd like to know the asnwer too!

This should answer your question and then some.

Good luck,

Bill B. (USA)

----------------------

Question: Can I use infrared film with Maxxum cameras?

Answer:

Color or Black-and-White infrared film cannot be used with the below cameras as their infrared frame counters will fog the film:

Maxxum 70, 50, 7, 5, 4, 3, XTsi, HTsi, HTsi Plus, STsi, QTsi, 300si, 400si, 500si.

These cameras use an infrared frame counter located near the take up spool inside the camera. This counter emits an infrared beam, which is reflected by the sprocket holes of the film to a receiver next to the emitter. The infrared beam will fog infrared film. As this counter must be active for the camera to successfully advance the film, you cannot cover it. There is no solution for this.

Using other Minolta Maxxum and X-Series Cameras

Black-and White film only:

Because 35mm black-and-white infrared film has no anti-halation backing, infrared light passes through the film base, bounces off the pressure plate and uniformly exposes or "fogs" the film.

The film pressure plate used in all Minolta Maxxum cameras has a window cut into it for data-imprinting whether or not the camera offers data imprinting. While this pressure plate offers no problems with normal, visible light photography, it should be changed for using black-and-white infrared film. If black-and-white infrared film is used with the standard plate, you may notice a ghost rectangle where the data window cutout is located.

It is possible to change the pressure plate at home. However, we strongly recommend sending your camera to one of Konica Minolta?s Authorized Service centers for the modification. There is a charge for the part and modification service.

The Minolta part number for the special film pressure plates for IR use:

X-700: No longer available

Maxxum 7000: 2072-0814-01

Maxxum 7000i&8000i: 2076-0814-01

Maxxum 7xi, 800si, 700si, 600si: 2089-0814-01

Maxxum 9xi: 2081-0814-01

Maxxum 9: TBA

I don't think that really answers the question -- that's just sort of the official line from Minolta. Canon gives a similar line, but you can use some infrared films in some of their cameras and it only fogs into the sprocket holes, but doesn't really affect the image. Also, they mention the anti-haltion layer. That only applies to Kodak High Speed Infrared and Maco "Aura" 820, which don't have an anti-halation layer. Konica Infrared 750 and Ilford SFX both have anti-haltion layers.

Here's something from another thread that shows the sprocket holes of the Kodak HSI film being fogged on a Maxxum 4's infrared frame counter. It still looks fairly useable -- I bet that Konica Infrared 750 would be even better since it has the antihalation layer. The Maco 820 might not be bad either -- the one with the antihalation layer (versus the "aura" version which would probably look very similar to the Kodak HSI). This is all just conjecture. I'm going to put a roll of Konica Infrared through my Maxxum 70 just as soon as I can get the appropriate filters for my new lens.

You will not have any problem with any of the infrared films. Those disclaimer lines from Minolta, Canon, etc.. is a cover their butt statement. You will get some fogging in one of the sprokets lines but it will not affect your image. The amount of fogging in Minolta cameras is much less than the Canons I have seen and even Canons give perfectly usable negatives. So go buy some HIE and try a few rolls out. Just remember to take Kodak's advice and load in darkness or near darkness. I have had far more fog damage from attempting to load in subdued light than I ever got from the infrared film counters.