28/2 Rokkor (MD/MC)?

ariel_garc_a

The most of the comments that Iᄡve read over 28mm are about 2.5 or

2.8 but I donᄡt listen much about the 28 f/2. I know that the 28/2

have 10 elements in 9 groups and it has the floating element system.

I'd like any info about the 28/2 lens, good or bad from anyone with

knowledge or experience with using one. If Iᄡm going to live with

only one wideangle can I wait that the 28/2 the same image quality

that with the 24/2.8? Wich is a reasonable price for an example in

excellent condition?

I would forget the 28/2 unless you need the speed. With additional lens surfaces a 28/2 will have more flair and a lower T number than a f/2.8.

All my lenses are Rokkor Xs with 55mm filters. I have a MD 24mm f/2.8. The 24mm is slightly crisper than my MC 28mm f/3.5 (SG) The 28mm has a flat field and is sharp. Of course it does not have a close up correction but used in it's operating range is certainly crisp enough. I use the 28mm more than the 24mm. Pricing is a consideration as the 28mm is priced under $30 vs about a $120 for a 24mm.

I don't have experience of the 28/2 MD but have both the AF 28/2.8 and Af 28/f2. These are essentially the same lenses as the MC/MD. From my use and testing the f2 is a far superior lens and one of the finest I've ever used. It is as sharp as any of my contax lenses and I think the best lens made by Minolta. Maybe it's worth the extra money??

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Auto Rokkor 28mm f3.5, MC 28mm f3.5 (55 and 67 filter rings versions), MC 28mm f2.8, MC 28mm f2.5, and the MC 28mm f2.0.

In no way is the MC Rokkor 28mm f2.0 inferior to the others, even if you don't need the extra speed, it's just the best 28mm lens Minolta made, period. It's easily on par with my MC Rokkor 21mm & 24mm f2.8 lens.

Now the downside to the f2.0, it's pretty expensive, I think I paid $179 for mine (mint) off ebay, where as the excellent MC 28mm f2.5 or f2.8 can be had for much less ($79 like new at KEH, $53 for the MD EX shape or even cheaper on eBay).

The late MD 28mm f2.0 was changed to a 9/9 optical design from the 10/9 of the MC Rokkor-X and MD Rokkor as well as the filter thread being changed to 49mm, and I have no experience with that late model except that it's reputation is excellent.

Edwin